Pages (2): 1 2   
dezboi   01-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Holy Crap!

Background: I've been following the electronic reader market for years and have picked up several of your books in eReader format. For the most part, I've stayed away from the Kindle because, while it is popular, the format is unique and proprietary (you NEED to buy a Kindle to read Kindle format books). However, with a Kindle reader available on the iPhone, I've winced and jumped in, picking up a handful of Kindle format books. Now, with tools like calibre, if I decide to get a different electronic book reader (I'm leaning towards the Nook) I can re-format my Kindle purchases to other formats. Woot!

(That's right, another thread regarding ebooks)

Alright. Now, to my "holy crap" moment. When I saw this post "The Last Rakosh", I went out and picked it up to support our man FPW. For giggles I checked to see which other FPW books were there in Kindle format. In eReader format, the FPW selections had been meager and I supposed this to be the case with other electronic formats. Much to my surprise (and excitement) there is suddenly a rather generous selection of FPW offerings, including many Repairman Jack books.

When did this happen? Has the FPW Kindle collection been quietly expanding? Was it all-of-a-sudden? Either way, I'm stoked!

Woot, woot, woot!

"Many men, perhaps even most, are unhappy in their souls. We burn so hard, but we shed so little light; it makes us crazy and sad." - Clive Barker Galilee
fpw   01-05-2010, 10:20 AM
dezboi Wrote:When did this happen? Has the FPW Kindle collection been quietly expanding? Was it all-of-a-sudden?
It's been a steady process. There were some rights issues, plus manpower issues (most publishers have huge backlogs of titles awaiting ebookification).

I've started converting the titles to which I still own rights. Soon you'll see Sibs and Dydeetown World and The Tery and Virgin out there. The medical thrillers will follow.

I'm looking for a way to offer "The Last Rakosh" for free. I think it's a great loss leader to introduce new readers to Jack. I'm talking with an Amazon exec later this week and that will be one of the topics.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   01-06-2010, 05:56 AM
"Ebookification" . . . I love it!

Ken V.
RomanyX   01-24-2010, 05:48 AM
fpw Wrote:It's been a steady process. There were some rights issues, plus manpower issues (most publishers have huge backlogs of titles awaiting ebookification).

Is that why Crisscross isn't available on Kindle? It seems to be the only Jack novel that isn't. Very frustrating, as I need to read that one next. Sad
fpw   01-24-2010, 10:44 AM
RomanyX Wrote:Is that why Crisscross isn't available on Kindle? It seems to be the only Jack novel that isn't. Very frustrating, as I need to read that one next. Sad
Shouldn't be long.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Yeratel   01-24-2010, 04:12 PM
fpw Wrote:I've started converting the titles to which I still own rights. Soon you'll see Sibs and Dydeetown World and The Tery and Virgin out there. The medical thrillers will follow.

Looking forward to those, I haven't read two of those four yet, and our library doesn't have Dydeetown or Virgin.
swandy   01-30-2010, 02:28 AM
dezboi Wrote:Now, with tools like calibre, if I decide to get a different electronic book reader (I'm leaning towards the Nook) I can re-format my Kindle purchases to other formats.
I have calibre and used it to convert my MS Lit books to eReader. But I thought that Kindle books are propriatory and can only be read on either a Kindle or Kindle software (I just saw that they released a version for PCs) and could not be converted.
Steve
Lee   01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
What happened to the Kindle editions? I'm looking at "Ground Zero" on my Kindle, but when I went to Amazon this morning to look at what else is available ... "Ground Zero" isn't, and neither are any of the other Repairman Jack novels.
Yeratel   01-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Lee Wrote:What happened to the Kindle editions? I'm looking at "Ground Zero" on my Kindle, but when I went to Amazon this morning to look at what else is available ... "Ground Zero" isn't, and neither are any of the other Repairman Jack novels.

Several publishers have delayed release of Kindle editions until a few months after the hardback editions hit the market. They're trying to prevent the $9 Kindle sales from cannibalizing their $20+ paper editions.
Lee   01-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I was talking about the old books -- The Tomb, Conspiracies, Legacies, etc. I went back to look because RomanyX said Crisscross was the only one missing. I thought All the Rage was missing too. But now they're all missing! I guess this must have to do with Amazon's fight with MacMillan.
Pages (2): 1 2