Pages (9):    1 2 3 4 5 9   
Sigokat   11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:There was one real James Bond--Sean Connery
There was one real Holmes--Basil Rathbone

Mike, you are in the minority in your belief that Rathbone was the one real Holmes. The films were goofy and inaccurate to the canon.

Have you ever read the stories?
Have you ever seen Jeremy Brett's performance?

If you say no to #2 then your statement is null since you cannot make an accurate comparison.

99% of Sherlockian fans agree that Brett was the Holmes that Doyle penned.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Fenian1916   11-16-2009, 01:03 PM
We all know George Lazenby was the best James Bond

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-16-2009, 01:08 PM
sigokat Wrote:Mike, you are in the minority in your belief that Rathbone was the one real Holmes. The films were goofy and inaccurate to the canon.

Have you ever read the stories?
Have you ever seen Jeremy Brett's performance?

If you say no to #2 then your statement is null since you cannot make an accurate comparison.

99% of Sherlockian fans agree that Brett was the Holmes that Doyle penned.

1) Of course I've read the stories, sig! Again, I only =look= stupid.:alberteinstein:
2) I have not seen Brett as Holmes. Are the episodes available on DVD?
Sigokat   11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:1) Of course I've read the stories, sig! Again, I only =look= stupid.:alberteinstein:
2) I have not seen Brett as Holmes. Are the episodes available on DVD?

Well, read the stories again if you think Rathbone's interpretation was even remotely close to what Doyle wrote...you'll be surprised.

And yes, the Granada series with Brett is on DVD. If you had read my first post in this thread you would have known that, since I stated it there.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-16-2009, 01:16 PM
sigokat Wrote:Well, read the stories again if you think Rathbone's interpretation was even remotely close to what Doyle wrote...you'll be surprised.

And yes, the Granada series with Brett is on DVD. If you had read my first post in this thread you would have known that, since I stated it there.

I found the Rathbone flicks fun movies. Was never under the impression they were true to the canon. SHERLOCK HOLMES AGAINST HITLER'S RADIOACTIVE MONSTER--mercy! (Actually, that might have been the best of the series...:p)
Sigokat   11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I found the Rathbone flicks fun movies. Was never under the impression they were true to the canon. SHERLOCK HOLMES AGAINST HITLER'S RADIOACTIVE MONSTER--mercy! (Actually, that might have been the best of the series...:p)

I'm done with this conversation, Mike.

Have a day.

Major K

Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
sigokat Wrote:I'm done with this conversation, Mike.

Have a day.

Fer cryin' out loud, sig, ain't we just havin' fun here?
Or...
Have you become possessed by the wicked soul of Gunny Ken?:eek::cryin:
webby   11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
sigokat Wrote:If you've never seen the old Sherlock Holmes television series by Granada (British) with Jeremy Brett portraying Holmes then you are missing out. Brett is considered by many to be the epitome of Doyle's Holmes. They are available on DVD and once you see them I would imagine that, like me, you'll never see another actor as Holmes. Jeremy Brett WAS Holmes...its a shame he died so young and before they finished the canon.

Both David Burke and Edward Hardwicke portrayed Dr. Watson throughout the show and while both were excellent in the role, I prefer Hardwicke's Watson just slightly over Burke's.

Thanks for mentioning the Brett series, Sig. I've heard good things about it but never got a chance to see it. It's now in my NetFlix "view online" queue. I'll start watching as soon as I finish catching up on "Heroes". Wink

Sam Wrote:I did notice that Holmes and House are quite similar. So why not Hugh Laurie? He already has the basics down pat. Downey knows about drug abuse and being an arrogant ass. Not saying he couldn't pull it off. He's a great actor. Just saying that is would be nice if the actors signed to portray these characters actually looked like them as much as possible.

Ok, I'll give you that one. Downey does not look anything like I imagined Holmes to look.

sigokat Wrote:Webby, I'd agree with you for the most part, except I do not believe Holmes was a "drug-addict". Yes, he was a drug user, but as was stated throughout the stories he only indulged in his 7% solution when he was not on a case. He used it to "escape the commonplace of existence." The cases were his drugs and when he wasn't on a case then he would break out the vials of liquid cocaine. He is also considered an English gentlemen and stated so when he was in a bare-knuckle fight with Mr. Woodley in The Solitary Cyclist. "No, Sir. Only a ruffian uses the back of the hand. A gentlemen uses the straight fist. And I, Sir, am a gentlemen." He then proceeded to send Mr. Woodley home in a dog cart. Big Grin

Yes, I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, as you can see. Hell, even one of my cats is named after Sherlock's brother. Big Grin

You have a cat named Mycroft?! Too cool, Sig, much too cool! Cool

I still think Holmes was an addict even by your description above. Maybe not a hopeless addict, but definitely something along the lines as a "functional alcoholic".

Agree, though, that Holmes was considered a gentleman. Earlier I was just trying to say he was not the type portrayed by Rathbone - the more sissified variety of gentleman, that is. Wink

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sigokat   11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
webby Wrote:Thanks for mentioning the Brett series, Sig. I've heard good things about it but never got a chance to see it. It's now in my NetFlix "view online" queue. I'll start watching as soon as I finish catching up on "Heroes". Wink

You're welcome, webby. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I have so many favorites (hell all of them lol) but I'd definitely recommend:

The Second Stain
The Solitary Cyclist
The Six Napoleans
The Speckled Band
The Greek Intrepreter (to see Mycroft of course Big Grin)
The Sign of Four (2 hours)

Quote:You have a cat named Mycroft?! Too cool, Sig, much too cool! Cool

Yep, I sure do. Mycroft is 12 but thinks he's 5. He's in great health for his age. We also had a female cat named Mrs. Hudson, but she disappeared one day and never came back. Sad (This was right before I graduated college) What funny was that they grew up together and Mrs. Hudson never took any of Mycroft's shit LOL

Quote:I still think Holmes was an addict even by your description above. Maybe not a hopeless addict, but definitely something along the lines as a "functional alcoholic".

I'll agree with you on that one. A "functioning addict" sounds more like Holmes.

Quote:Agree, though, that Holmes was considered a gentleman. Earlier I was just trying to say he was not the type portrayed by Rathbone - the more sissified variety of gentleman, that is. Wink

Ok, gotcha. Wink And definitely agree with you on the Rathbone description. :p

Major K

webby   11-16-2009, 01:53 PM
sigokat Wrote:You're welcome, webby. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I have so many favorites (hell all of them lol) but I'd definitely recommend:

The Second Stain
The Solitary Cyclist
The Six Napoleans
The Speckled Band
The Greek Intrepreter (to see Mycroft of course Big Grin)
The Sign of Four (2 hours)

Yep, I sure do. Mycroft is 12 but thinks he's 5. He's in great health for his age. We also had a female cat named Mrs. Hudson, but she disappeared one day and never came back. Sad (This was right before I graduated college) What funny was that they grew up together and Mrs. Hudson never took any of Mycroft's shit LOL

I'll agree with you on that one. A "functioning addict" sounds more like Holmes.

Ok, gotcha. Wink And definitely agree with you on the Rathbone description. :p

Big Grin

One more thought on Mycroft, then I gotta get back to work...

Back in the '70s, Gene Wilder made a movie called "Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother". I didn't know much about Holmes at that time - I was just a little kid - but the title struck me funny anyway.

Imagine how surprised I was - and how much I LOLed - when I started reading the Holmes stories many years later only to learn that Holmes really DID have a smarter brother! Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pages (9):    1 2 3 4 5 9