Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8
Tony H   04-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I agree with Sig. Rob Zombie's movies are horrible. He just fills them with white trash rednecks (like his wife). He ruined Halloween by trying to explain why Michael Meyers was doing what he did. There was no reason for his actions in the original film. He was simply a crazy person. Started when he was a kid and carried over into adulthood. He wasn't locked up in a psychiatric hospital because his mom was a stripper, his step-dad was a piece of drunk trash, they lived in squalor, and he was bullied.

In the original, Haddonfield was suburbia defined. It was not some run-down industrial town on the wrong side of the tracks. Michael was from an average middle-class family, which is what made him so creepy. The was no reason for his being evil, he was just wired that way.

Boy, did I go on a rant?

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Fenian1916   04-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I agree, Rob Zombie is douche nozzle for destroying Halloween. John Carpenter must be spinning in his grave

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Fenian1916   04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
And how in the name of fuck did Michael Myers become a giant hulk of a man locked up in a mental hospital? It's just stupid.

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Sigokat   04-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Fenian1916 Wrote:And how in the name of fuck did Michael Myers become a giant hulk of a man locked up in a mental hospital? It's just stupid.

Agreed, totally unrealistic. Yes some guys are naturally big, but if you're stuck in a little room all day with pretty much no exercise at all, then you aren't getting that big. All the points Toni brought up are on the spot as to why RZ's Halloween was so awful.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Fenian1916   04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Tone Tone knows his stuff and Rob Zombie is going to fuck up The Blob next

Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Sigokat   04-24-2012, 10:25 AM
I sure hope not, but with his track record I'm sure he will

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
PicardRex   04-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Medusa Wrote:House 1000 was pretty scary, creepy but reminded me a lot of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I absolutely didn't like Devil's Rejects. They took all the horror creep factor out of it.

To me thats exactly the problem with it. All of my friends were talking about how great this new movie was, how original, how much it pushed the envelope and breathed new life into the horror genre. What I saw was a TCM ripoff that eventually turned into some weird mashup of a bunch of different horror movie tropes. I thought it was a mess by the end.
PicardRex   04-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Tony H Wrote:I agree with Sig. Rob Zombie's movies are horrible. He just fills them with white trash rednecks (like his wife). He ruined Halloween by trying to explain why Michael Meyers was doing what he did. There was no reason for his actions in the original film. He was simply a crazy person. Started when he was a kid and carried over into adulthood. He wasn't locked up in a psychiatric hospital because his mom was a stripper, his step-dad was a piece of drunk trash, they lived in squalor, and he was bullied.

In the original, Haddonfield was suburbia defined. It was not some run-down industrial town on the wrong side of the tracks. Michael was from an average middle-class family, which is what made him so creepy. The was no reason for his being evil, he was just wired that way.

Boy, did I go on a rant?

I agree completely. The horror of the original was that the sort of evil Michael was could spring from anywhere. That this smalltown, anytown America could be terrorized by a murderer. Thats the beauty of Halloween and Halloween II which is just an extension of the first one. By explaining Michael's motivation, as you said, you take away all the horror.

When I said earlier that I wasn't so disappointed by Zombie's remake, it was only because I knew exactly what it would be going into it. I hate to sound like a movie snob, but Zombie has no subtlety, he doesn't understand suspense and atmosphere. The reason he explains Michael's motivation is because, I think, Zombie probably saw that as a flaw of the original. Some people can watch the original and ask why was Michael like that and be okay with not having an answer, some watch it and demand an answer, even if that answer is the most cliched thing around. So I think when Zombie got a chance to remake it, he did what he probably always wanted to do, explain the horror.
PicardRex   04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Fenian1916 Wrote:I agree, Rob Zombie is douche nozzle for destroying Halloween. John Carpenter must be spinning in his grave

I am not sure if you were joking, but Carpenter isn't dead yet, though by his recent output of movies I can see why you'd think he was.
Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8