Pages (3):    1 2 3
Ken Valentine   06-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeratel Wrote:That's a lot of variations on a basically simple design, like each one is a hand-made original. It looks like three of them have extended threaded barrels for use with a suppressor, which is also kind of unususal in a handgun originally designed for last-ditch self defense. With it's concealability and locked breech, it would be an ideal assassins weapon when fitted with an efficient sound suppressor.
Perhaps, but there are problems when it comes to suppressing something with that short a barrel and that large a caliber.

Firstly, with a barrel as short as the Semmerling has, the powder in the cartridge won't be completely burned when the bullet exits the barrel/suppressor -- so there will be more noise because of the powder that is still burning in the suppressor.

Combine this with:

Secondly, the larger the caliber, the harder it is to suppress. With anything that is "flowing," -- whether it's gas, or any kind of liquid, there is a "boundary layer" effect. the gas or liquid flowing through something -- a suppressor, a hose -- the "layer" of gas/liquid closest to the hose or baffles, will be slowed down by contact with the hose/baffles. The "layer" that flows by the "contact" layer will not be slowed down as much, and the layer next to that will be slowed down even less. What this means is that the gas/liquid that flows down the center of the baffle/hose will be travelling pretty fast -- and the larger the diameter of the hole through the baffle/hose the faster it will travel, and the less restriction on (in this case) noise there will be.

It's not like the muffler/silencer on a car, where you can have reversing baffles -- a suppressor/silencer has to have a straight-through hole for the bullet/projectile to pass through.

The locked breech however is definitely a plus as it eliminates the sounds of the slide moving.

Ken V.
Monquito   06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
You damned Americans and your stinking gun rights.

(Yes I am jealous)
Yeratel   07-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Monquito Wrote:You damned Americans and your stinking gun rights.

(Yes I am jealous)

I always feel compelled to go to the range and crank off a few rounds on July 4th, Independence Day. Just because I CAN. Big Grin
t4terrific   07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeratel Wrote:.

I always feel compelled to go to the range and crank off a few rounds on July 4th, Independence Day. Just because I CAN. Big Grin

I do it in the back yard. Living in the sticks is where it's at!
Pages (3):    1 2 3