mrTitanic   08-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I have been a Chief Engineer for the Washington State Ferries for over 20 years and like everyone here a huge Repairman Jack fan. On the front cover of "By the Sword" is a picture taken from the car deck of one of our ferries with the Seattle skyline in the back ground. Naturally I became excited with the possiblity that Jack would be visiting Seattle in this novel. I just finished reading it and this ended up not being the case. Does anyone know why this picture may have been chosen to be placed on the front cover of "By the Sword"?
fpw   08-13-2009, 06:12 PM
I have no idea.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Silverfish   08-13-2009, 11:19 PM
That's Seattle? Paul, why would your publisher/art person choose a picture of Seattle for a story set in New York? Maybe he thought he could get away with a stock photo? I thought most cities had very distinctive skylines from the water, and you would recognize them from a distance and know it was your city, while tourists took pictures. This would be part of my criteria for choosing an image. Why wasn't it part of his? (I'm always kind of sad when I watch old movies and the Twin Towers are in the skyline.)

Very good catch mrTitanic, and welcome to the board.

We all talked about the sword, but no one said anything about the view from the ship or the skyline. Curious how we all accepted that photo from the start, but debated about the bottom photo. Smile

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
mrTitanic   08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome silverfish. I am glad to be aboard.
mrTitanic   08-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome ImDeranged. Glad to know that there are some fellow Wa State Repairman Jack fans out there.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
mrTitanic Wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome silverfish. I am glad to be aboard.

Welcome to the gang, mrTitanic
You'll find it's a very cool hang
As long as you don't panic