Pages (3):    1 2 3   
chickybubs   09-08-2009, 08:02 AM
seen the trailer for it and am desperate to go but still havent had a chance but heres hoping will get over the weekend
saynomore   09-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Did I mention SPOILERS?

I can't make up my mind about this movie. It was like eating at McDonald's: Same-O, Same-O, but I liked it. It's like a good musical, but you can't remember a single tune from it after seeing it, but it was good. Has QT gone Pop Fast Food Moviemaker?

I mean, the concept that the trailers were selling was that a Goon Squad was going behind enemy lines to commit war atrocities so heinous against the Germans that they would not only demoralize them but scare the shite out of them. Thusly, I was expecting to see pure uncut horror a la QT. Instead, I got a Hitchcockian war thriller with gore. Now that in itself is not a bad thing--from Hitchcock, but from QT?! I mean, how many times can we excuse the man because of the clever dialogue?

Death Proof was a disappointment. Kill Bill was Classic. But Inglorious Basterds? I just dunno. I just dunno.

AC

P.S. Can you remember when an Al Pacino movie was an event that you waited in line to see? When did that end? Bobby Deerfield, maybe? I think QTs heyday may have passed as well. I hope I'm wrong. I just dunno.
This post was last modified: 09-09-2009, 07:15 AM by saynomore.
ccosborne3   09-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Patrice Wrote:That´s a BINGOOOO... Big Grin

LOL, I missed the reference the first time around. and it's just Bingo. Wink
Kenji   11-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Yesterday I saw Inglourious Basters.

I can say Tarantino's best movie was Pulp Fiction, but Inglourious Basters is remarkable film in this year.

Moviegoer would love it like me. Main plot was from 60s war movie "The Dirty Dozen". The last sequences in a burning theare were from "Carrie".

Every dialogues were excellent.
Scott Miller   01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
I think Taratino may have peaked with his first two movies and is now someone whose films will inspire curiousity in me; I sated that curiousity this morning with Inglourious Basterds. Much like everything he's made since Pulp Fiction, the great moments are tempered with scenes that just aren't necessary and there are several great moments in Inglourious Basterds. The opening scene is absolutely brilliant as is the scene where Shosanna has to eat with Landa and I loved both the ending in the theatre and at the border. I think where Tarantino struggles is action scenes, I can't recall a single action sequence from any of his movies that has been effective, the basement scene is a prime example-lots of time spent on the build up and it just sort of happened but wasn't exciting. I think I'd like to see him take a stab at a drama.

I agree with everyone's assessment of Waltz's as Landa, truly outstanding. Has he been in anything else-I'm pretty sure I haven't seen him before. I also thought both Melanie Laurent and Diane Kruger gave excellent performances. Pitt was good in a pretty straight forward sort of role. Kind of weird that I thought the Bastards were in the weakest part of the film.

I also thought the trailers were misleading with regards to the comedic aspect; Hitler was made to look buffoonish and he wasn't and I didn't find much humor in the film at all.

Overall I think it falls in Jackie Brown territory; a pretty good movie made more popular because it was helmed by Tarantino.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
KRW   01-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I think Taratino may have peaked with his first two movies and is now someone whose films will inspire curiousity in me; I sated that curiousity this morning with Inglourious Basterds. Much like everything he's made since Pulp Fiction, the great moments are tempered with scenes that just aren't necessary and there are several great moments in Inglourious Basterds. The opening scene is absolutely brilliant as is the scene where Shosanna has to eat with Landa and I loved both the ending in the theatre and at the border. I think where Tarantino struggles is action scenes, I can't recall a single action sequence from any of his movies that has been effective, the basement scene is a prime example-lots of time spent on the build up and it just sort of happened but wasn't exciting. I think I'd like to see him take a stab at a drama.

I agree. But in my opinion that opening scene lasted wayyyy to long. I think he could have cut half of it out and still left us with the same impression and knowledge of the story. I gathered this was going to be about the "Basterds", and there was very little of that. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong. But as you said, he didn't live up to the action scenes.

And now that I think about it, I bet Tarantino could make an excellent drama. It wouldn't be boring!Smile
colburn0004   01-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I just saw this the other day. All in all I really enjoyed it, but I kind of put the movie in the scale of the scene in the basement. A lot of build up and it's over. All the scenes with the hunter were classic, from the first scene to his last. I like the rest would have liked it to be more about the Basterds, it was dissapointing when they only had about 4 or 5 scenes maybe. I liked it but i guess my disslikings were based more on misleadings by the trailer(and the title) I expected it to be more of an action movie about the basterds done by QT. We got a revenge movie that the basterds played a supporting role in.

"Sanity? Worthless things like that, I never had them for as long as I can remember!"
Scott Miller   01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
KRW Wrote:I agree. But in my opinion that opening scene lasted wayyyy to long. I think he could have cut half of it out and still left us with the same impression and knowledge of the story. I gathered this was going to be about the "Basterds", and there was very little of that. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong. But as you said, he didn't live up to the action scenes.

Maybe a bit long, but it was establishing what a rat Landa was and he was so watchable I didn't mind.

He is so good at ratcheting up the suspense with the threat of violence but then can't deliver. I think of Bruce Willis driving back to get his watch in Pulp Fiction going don't go, don't go; a true edge of my seat moment.

KRW Wrote:And now that I think about it, I bet Tarantino could make an excellent drama. It wouldn't be boring!Smile

His strength is his writing I believe so a dialogue heavy drama would be right up his alley.

Scott

Scott Miller   01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
colburn0004 Wrote:I just saw this the other day. All in all I really enjoyed it, but I kind of put the movie in the scale of the scene in the basement. A lot of build up and it's over. All the scenes with the hunter were classic, from the first scene to his last. I like the rest would have liked it to be more about the Basterds, it was dissapointing when they only had about 4 or 5 scenes maybe. I liked it but i guess my disslikings were based more on misleadings by the trailer(and the title) I expected it to be more of an action movie about the basterds done by QT. We got a revenge movie that the basterds played a supporting role in.

They were barely in it and none of them made any impression on me outside of Pitt. And you're right about the action be played WAY up in the trailers only to have it be almost nonexistent in the movie, although it is far more common for a trailer to do that with action over comedy, IMO, so it didn't come as a huge surprise to me.

Scott

colburn0004   01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
I think the funny thing is that in this movie I think he didnt draw out the action enough, and its usually that I am complaining about most movies overly drawing the action out and having it be more realistic. QT sort of made the action in this more realistic (quick and to the point) but it still just felt lacking. The scen in the theater with Landa and the actress in the other room had me on the edge of my seat. In my opinion that scene and the opening scene drew out the most tension and were done great.

"Sanity? Worthless things like that, I never had them for as long as I can remember!"
Pages (3):    1 2 3