Pages (4):    1 2 3 4
The Mad American   08-03-2010, 12:21 PM
sigokat Wrote:Finished Long's The Descent the other night. Well, it was a good book, but like others have said it got somewhat wordy and slowed down a lot in the middle. I felt that so much was placed on the expeditions progress and then the ending was just thrown at us and we were expected to be like "Oh okay, I get it now." I was pretty disappointed with the way it ended.

Also, it took me about half of the novel to realize that all those chapters about hadals on the surface were just to show that they were in fact getting up to the surface and that they had nothing to do with the actual plot of the story. And the chapter with the young boy and the witch hadals...yeah, that could have been edited out completely. I felt sick after reading that.

Yeah, I agree with the chapter about the witch hadals. I think he was trying to show how the hadals had influenced mythos and folklore throughout time by showing them in a current setting, but that is just my opinion.

I liked this book a lot as I mentioned but I think it was mostly the idea of some new world, people with a new hostile race, being found and explored. There were definitely flaws but I found it pretty easy to look past them.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Sigokat   08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Yeah, I agree with the chapter about the witch hadals. I think he was trying to show how the hadals had influenced mythos and folklore throughout time by showing them in a current setting, but that is just my opinion.

Yeah I think you are spot on with that opinion. It took me awhile to understand that, but it finally hit me that that is what he was going for. They were all interesting except the previously mentioned witch hadal chapter.

Quote:I liked this book a lot as I mentioned but I think it was mostly the idea of some new world, people with a new hostile race, being found and explored. There were definitely flaws but I found it pretty easy to look past them.

Don't get me wrong, I like it as well. I though the concept was great and the idea that all our folklore and ideas about Satan and hell were actually from a "real" source was quite interesting. Even the concept of searching for Satan was cool as hell, but the end just left a lot to be desired.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it wouldn't be one of those that I read a second or third time. I'll probably send it to my dad since he and I have similar tastes in books.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
bill1971   09-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Thank you forum. I picked this up a few days ago and it is a page turner! I hope the pace and the interest keeps up.
The Mad American   09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
bill1971 Wrote:Thank you forum. I picked this up a few days ago and it is a page turner! I hope the pace and the interest keeps up.

I hope you enjoy the rest of it. I did. I have the other books by Long ready to download on my Kindle once it arrives. Can't wait to read more.

~ Red Buttons

flyboy707   09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
jacobm Wrote:I read it a few years ago, and was knocked on my ass by the first 100 pages or so, then it seemed to slow down before picking up speed again. Overall I thought it was one of the better reading experiences I've had (outside of FPW, of course).

I tried the sequel, but just wasn't interested in it and gave up shortly after cracking it open.

I had the same experience. Overall worth the read, but for me, just sort of goes flat in the long run. I do not recommend the sequel.

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
bill1971   09-26-2010, 01:08 PM
The sequel is Deeper or The Ascent? Im on 150 and it still rocks! I dont think I read as fast as you guys. Smile
The Mad American   09-26-2010, 10:56 PM
bill1971 Wrote:The sequel is Deeper or The Ascent? Im on 150 and it still rocks! I dont think I read as fast as you guys. Smile

Deeper is the actual sequel. Although many confused Year Zero as the sequel(it is not, Deeper is).

~ Red Buttons

Blades   09-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Its a good book, worth the reading time.
bill1971   10-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Finished yesterday.

SPOLIERS****************************************

So if Thomas supposedely going to go into Branch at the end?

I really enjoyed the book quite a bit. I was hoping they would go more into where Satan came from and I was surpised he was taken out by a sniper shot.

I read the synopsis of Deeper. I was afraid too before afraid of giving something away and am not quite as interested. I really enjoyed Long's style and will check out others by him.
This post was last modified: 11-13-2010, 01:51 AM by bill1971.
bill1971   11-13-2010, 01:55 AM
While reviewing this thread I was given another book that I want to read and picked up at the local book store. In the Balance by Turtledove. What a great premise!
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4