swandy   02-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I have never read either of these books. (Let the flaming begin!)
From those who have read both -
Which did you like better?
Which would you read first?
Thanks,
Steve
cobalt   02-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Now why should we scold you? lol

Both books tie into the time line around Legacies I believe. The Select, then Implant. They do stand alone, but you'll find those wonderful little tie ins to the main story. Also Deep as The Marrow is from that part of time, have you read that one?

EWMAN
swandy   02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I already read Deep as the Marrow - tend to catch up on authors in either the order they wrote/published books or reverse (new to old) order. Since I have read most of FPW's recent stuff, figured I would work on the older books.
Thanks,
Steve
Scott Miller   02-09-2009, 12:16 PM
swandy Wrote:I have never read either of these books. (Let the flaming begin!)
From those who have read both -
Which did you like better?
Which would you read first?
Thanks,
Steve

The order isn't necessarily all that important, but I loved Implant. I think it is one of his most under-appreciated works. I like The Select as well, but I found it as close to the mainstream that FPW has ever written.

Duncan from Implant is quite the sesquapedalian and just yesterday I heard kakistocracy for the first time since reading it in Implant in the song "Intimate Secretary" by The Raconteurs over the weekend.
This post was last modified: 02-09-2009, 12:58 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
swandy Wrote:I already read Deep as the Marrow - tend to catch up on authors in either the order they wrote/published books or reverse (new to old) order. Since I have read most of FPW's recent stuff, figured I would work on the older books.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi, Steve! Welcome to the board. But please understand, we don't flame here. Nothing could be more distant from our minds. On Paul's board, friendship, scholarship, and courtesy are the keywords. Ask anybody!Rolleyes

And be sure to read BLACK WIND, when it's reprinted soon.

Again, welcome!
Libby   02-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the board! I read The Select a few months ago, and it was quite good (of courseBig Grin), but I haven't read Implant yet, though I mean to.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Aprilis   02-16-2009, 04:05 PM
my opinion .. Read the Select first
the Select is one of those books that when you finish reading it you say wow what a really great story.
I also read Implant but I cant really remember it at all.

The world is full of idiots ... It's up to you to not be one of them.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Aprilis Wrote:my opinion .. Read the Select first
the Select is one of those books that when you finish reading it you say wow what a really great story.
I also read Implant but I cant really remember it at all.

Let me offer a different opinion.

While the lovely and wonderful Aprilis' words ring true, I found IMPLANT right up there with CRISSCROSS, THE FIFTH HARMONIC, and BLACK WIND.

In other words, one of Paul's best.
Pacal   02-20-2009, 05:54 PM
I really shouldn't read these kinds of posts. I don't remember those titles very well, and now I'm going to have to dig through boxes.
Srem   02-22-2009, 02:58 AM
Implant was a definite page-turner for me, but my vote goes to The Select for being one of my all time favorite FPW works.