Pages (2): 1 2   
Gard   01-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Just heard that Mr. Montalban passed away at age 88. Quite a career, and of course, his role as Kahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhn! hit home for a lot of sci-fi geeks like me.

Loved his appearance in the "Spy Kids" sequel. Seemed like he was well liked by a lot of producers.
Brian   01-14-2009, 07:53 PM
He played Khan perfectly. May he RIP.

There is no wise man without fault
Scott Miller   01-15-2009, 01:11 AM
He'll get leid for sure in a soft Corinthian leather hammock.
This post was last modified: 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Sigokat   01-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Also saw him in a Man from U.N.C.L.E. episode once...he was awesome in that as well.

RIP Ricardo...you will be missed

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Fenian1916   01-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Poor Mr. Rourke, we will miss you.

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Kenji   01-15-2009, 09:38 AM
"Kahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhn!"

We miss him. Sad
saynomore   01-16-2009, 02:31 AM
Mr. Montalban was one of my supporters for my citizenship program in the late 90s. The first time I met him, I was surprized to see him in a wheelchair. He always used a podium and cane to stand and balance himself when he addressed the press. He did not like to be photographed in his wheelchair. Eventually he stopped making public appearances for our program due to his failing health. He was Khan. And he was a great activist for the Chicano Community.

Thank you, my friend, for your support. You will be missed.

AC
Gard   01-18-2009, 02:07 AM
saynomore Wrote:Mr. Montalban was one of my supporters for my citizenship program in the late 90s. The first time I met him, I was surprized to see him in a wheelchair. He always used a podium and cane to stand and balance himself when he addressed the press. He did not like to be photographed in his wheelchair. Eventually he stopped making public appearances for our program due to his failing health. He was Khan. And he was a great activist for the Chicano Community.

AC

That's a terrific thing to read. I knew his legs were weakened later in life, but he showed great integrity and strength continuing to work. It was a great move by the "Spy Kids" team to recruit Montalban to play their grandfather in "Game Over', to note that the character was bound to his wheelchair, and then use computer graphics in the "game world" to let him move and walk. Seeing the actor actually express himself as the character who is given a chance to walk was remarkable. The movie was fun, too.

Knowing the strides Mr. Montalban took to help you live in the US is fantastic. As they say about Ace Rimmer, "What a guy"! Let's hope more people with that kind of outstanding and kind character are out there in the world.
Ken Valentine   01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
saynomore Wrote:Mr. Montalban was one of my supporters for my citizenship program in the late 90s. The first time I met him, I was surprized to see him in a wheelchair. He always used a podium and cane to stand and balance himself when he addressed the press. He did not like to be photographed in his wheelchair. Eventually he stopped making public appearances for our program due to his failing health. He was Khan. And he was a great activist for the Chicano Community.

AC
According to IMDB:

"In 1993, he had a 9 1/2 hour surgical operation on his spine to repair an old back injury he received while filming Across the Wide Missouri (1951). He has been in constant pain ever since and confined to a wheelchair as a paraplegic."

I have never met him, but he impressed me as being a man of great pride and dignity.

He will be missed.

Ken V.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Gard Wrote:Just heard that Mr. Montalban passed away at age 88. Quite a career, and of course, his role as Kahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhn! hit home for a lot of sci-fi geeks like me.

Loved his appearance in the "Spy Kids" sequel. Seemed like he was well liked by a lot of producers.

As I understand it, he was a true gentleman, fine actor, and consumate professional. Hollywood could use more like him.
Pages (2): 1 2