Pages (14):    1 10 11 12 13 14   
johntfs   03-09-2013, 07:24 PM
I was reading Under the Dome and finding it pretty good then something happened and I ended up reading something several pages down the line. Not the ending, something from the middle. Essentially it indicated that one of the characters in the book knew a fictional character, specifically Jack Reacher from Lee Child's series of the same name. It yanked me right out of the book and I couldn't get back into it after that.

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself. Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable." - H. L. Mencken
The Man of Fhinntmanchca   03-10-2013, 06:30 PM
And on the front of the copy I have reads: "Seven words: the best yet from the best ever!" - Lee Childs. I was going to read one of the Jack Reacher books but to be honest the plot lines read a little too much like Repairman Jack without, perhaps, the paranormal leanings and so I didn't. Yet. If I hear enough otherwise I might go back and give one of those books a try....

I tilt at windmills, you tilt at windmills, we tilt at windmills together.

quixotic - Caught up in the romance of noble deeds or unreachable ideals; romantic without regard to practicality.
t4terrific   03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Practically nothing alike other than a strong male character who lives on the fringe of society. Reacher is an ex Army, Army Brat
t4terrific   03-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Who became a drifter. Has no entangling alliances, and never has much more than the clothes on his back. Child always seems to add those, "Yeah right." Moments in the stories too.

RJ is anchored to a home, collections, and friends. Always prepared.
The Man of Fhinntmanchca   03-11-2013, 11:28 AM
And apparently Reacher is about to be played by Tom Cruise in an upcoming movie.

quixotic - Caught up in the romance of noble deeds or unreachable ideals; romantic without regard to practicality.
cobalt   03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
The Man of Fhinntmanchca Wrote:And apparently Reacher is about to be played by Tom Cruise in an upcoming movie.

That fact alone will make me never see this movie. In the books.....Reacher is 6'5", blond and a wanderer. This movie changes everything about Reacher I hear.

EWMAN
Marc   03-11-2013, 12:44 PM
The Man of Fhinntmanchca Wrote:And apparently Reacher is about to be played by Tom Cruise in an upcoming movie.

Didn't the movie already come out and tank?
cobalt   03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Marc Wrote:Didn't the movie already come out and tank?

Did it tank? good!

EWMAN
The Man of Fhinntmanchca   03-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I just saw that announcement on the book cover... I have mixed feelings about Cruise's involvement with the Church of Scientology, to the point where I'm ambivalent about supporting any projects he's involved in....

Marc   03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Just checked: it came out on Dec. 21, 2012. Estimated budget was $60 mil, and has only brought in $79 mil. That's pretty bad.
Pages (14):    1 10 11 12 13 14