GeraldRice   11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Best. Animated. Children's. Movie. Ever.

Wall-E should have been annoying. He should have come off as an unsympathetic character you'd be glad to be rid of. But even for a robot he is easily one of the most endearing characters I've ever seen in a movie. From his puppy dog optic sensors, his robotic arms, down to his treads, you just love everything about him. You feel his loneliness as he patrols the earth, cleaning and arranging to no real avail, but doing it because that's simply what he's supposed to do.

He pursues EVE because he needs a real companion and annoys her (not US, though) with his undying need to protect his newfound friend. Somehow, despite his neediness, his lack of bravery, he's the hero. A 700+ year old garbage compactor manages to crush all our hearts in his struggle to be a good friend.

[SPOILER]It's another retelling of the Christ story, but more "E.T." than "Iron Giant". He even looks a little bit like E.T.; dimunitive with big expressive eyes and a limited capacity for speech, seemingly helpless and 'dies' for the sake of humanity only to be resurrected later.[/SPOILER] My 21 month old daughter watched some, enough to where she started saying "Wally" or a variation of that in childspeak, but I'll have to show it to her again in a year or two so she can really appreciate it. I think it'll be going into her library.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
volshan   11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Later in the movie than you've mentioned, I thought the comment on our 'IM society' was interesting, and worthwhile. As blatant as it is, it's still easily missed.

Marty

[SIZE="1"]'It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there's someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master.' - Ayn Rand[/SIZE]
law dawg   11-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I thought it very poignant. My fave character was Moe.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.