Pages (3): 1 2 3   
robbb   10-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Just finished reading "By The Sword" and noticed the timeline aka the Secret History of the World and the end. So since our civilization as we know it ends in year zero, doesn't that mean we know that Jack looses the battle?

And on a note regarding the way to the that ending: On the webpage F. Paul Wilson reckons there will be about 15 Jack books, in "By The Sword" that number has increased to 16 or 17. While i enjoy the Jack books a lot i really hope this isn't going to turn into an endless series of books with no ending in sight.
Lysistrata   10-28-2008, 07:15 PM
robbb Wrote:So since our civilization as we know it ends in year zero, doesn't that mean we know that Jack looses the battle?

not necessarily.

robbb Wrote:While i enjoy the Jack books a lot i really hope this isn't going to turn into an endless series of books with no ending in sight.

More books! More books!

Trying to be nice
Tony H   10-28-2008, 08:01 PM
robbb Wrote:Just finished reading "By The Sword" and noticed the timeline aka the Secret History of the World and the end. So since our civilization as we know it ends in year zero, doesn't that mean we know that Jack looses the battle?

Your questions are answered in Nightworld. If you have not read the Adversary Cycle you are missing a bigger part of the picture.

The Keep
The Tomb
The Touch
Reborn
Reprisal
Nightworld

make up the AC. The current jack stories branch off from The Tomb and make their way to NightWorld, filling in Jacks adventures during the time that The Touch, Reborn and reprisal are occurring.

robbb Wrote:And on a note regarding the way to the that ending: On the webpage F. Paul Wilson reckons there will be about 15 Jack books, in "By The Sword" that number has increased to 16 or 17. While i enjoy the Jack books a lot i really hope this isn't going to turn into an endless series of books with no ending in sight.

I think Paul has said there are only 2 books left before Nightworld. So yes, the end is in sight, but it has already been written.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Husband of Luthie2   10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
It has already been written, rewritten and rewritten. I don't think FPW has any problem with changing the possible ending we think is written. (IMHO) As evidinced by the begiining part for jack in the original NightWorld being reworked for the opening chapters of By the Sword

Reverend Jim: What does the yellow light mean?
Bobby: Slow down , Jim.
Reverend Jim: ok.... Whaaaat Dooooes Thhhhe Yellloooow Light meeeaaan?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
fpw   10-29-2008, 09:10 AM
robbb Wrote:And on a note regarding the way to the that ending: On the webpage F. Paul Wilson reckons there will be about 15 Jack books, in "By The Sword" that number has increased to 16 or 17. While i enjoy the Jack books a lot i really hope this isn't going to turn into an endless series of books with no ending in sight.

[SIZE="3"]At the time I finished BtS, I thought I might go 16 or 17. By the time I started Ground Zero, I knew I'd stop at 15. Ground Zero is the pen-penultimate RJ novel. (I don't consider Nightworld a true RJ novel because he's part of an ensemble cast rather than the focus.)[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Fenian1916   10-29-2008, 09:16 AM
It is so sad to know that the RJ novels are coming to an end. I wish they would be an endless series with no end in sight. Any chance we can get HBO to make an RJ series? He needs to live on.

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
robbb   10-30-2008, 04:04 AM
Quote:Your questions are answered in Nightworld. If you have not read the Adversary Cycle you are missing a bigger part of the picture.
Does reading Nightworld even make sense now? Wouldn't it be better to wait for the revised version that fits into the timeline?
fpw   10-30-2008, 07:45 AM
robbb Wrote:Does reading Nightworld even make sense now? Wouldn't it be better to wait for the revised version that fits into the timeline?
[SIZE="3"]
Hold off on Nightworld until last, but read the rest of the Adversary Cycle as it's rereleased with the final Jack novels.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Aahz   10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]
Hold off on Nightworld until last, but read the rest of the Adversary Cycle as it's rereleased with the final Jack novels.[/SIZE]

This has been my plan.

I only discovered Jack (and fpw) last year and quickly read through all the Jack books released to that point (Harbingers). Since then I've been collecting and consuming all the non-Jack writings and thoroughly enjoying them. Of course, Bloodline and BTS are sitting on the bookshelf staring me down on a daily basis so I may not be able to hold out much longer.

The plan is to start all over (once I acquire copies of "Demonsong" and "Aryans and Absinthe") and read everything according to the timeline. If I time things correctly, I should be reaching the "end" just about the time those books are coming out.

On a bit of a side note, is there really a 5+ month gap between BTS & Ground Zero?
fpw   11-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Aahz Wrote:On a bit of a side note, is there really a 5+ month gap between BTS & Ground Zero?

[SIZE="3"]Only 2 months -- Ground Zero takes place in July. Book 14 will probably be in January of year zero and 15 (the last) will follow in April after the events of Reprisal.[/SIZE]
This post was last modified: 11-01-2008, 10:45 AM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
Pages (3): 1 2 3