Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   10-21-2008, 09:37 AM
[SIZE="3"]Not so hot. Shows you can please some of the people some of the time, but...[/SIZE]

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Repairman-Ja...354&sr=1-1

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
cobalt   10-21-2008, 09:46 AM
There are those dolts out there that know nothing. Some of them even review books. That doesn't mean we should/would listen to them. We know better.

EWMAN
Lysistrata   10-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Those who are disappointed seem to wish for a strand of books featuring RJ-against-the-bad-one-of-the-day, with a story ending neatly at the end of each book. Nothing wrong with that, but RJ books are about a saga which started very long ago and which is reaching its climax now, with RJ becoming heavily involved despite his reluctance.

Trying to be nice
LolaRennt   10-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Hmm...I can't stand when writers stick to a formula and can't seem to deviate from that formula. It appears that the Amazon reviewers are simple minded folk who love their formulas.

It wouldn't make any kind of sense to continue building towards the climax of the supernatural and continue to have RJ involved in humdrum fixits. Duh...
DrFoix   10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I enjoyed By the Sword (how could I not-I'm too deep into the character) but I thought this was a valid criticism.

"the books also had a side story or two wherein Jack turns the tables on ordinary criminals with fiendishly clever ploys. For me that was always the best part of the Repairman Jack novels and the most interesting."

The ordinary criminals and the ordinary world provide the contrast to the Otherness that is needed in the composition.

When I first read a Jack novel I wasn't expecting to be taken around the bend when the normal world met weird-and it was so freakin' cool!

And the Otherness mythology in the right balance is strange and terrifying. Too much and it can become a bit tedious.

That being said, I'm probably hooked for life no matter what. But some of the RJ series have been superior for the above reasons. To me anyway. And no you can't please everyone, so who cares.

Chris
Tony H   10-21-2008, 05:20 PM
drfoix Wrote:i enjoyed by the sword (how could i not-i'm too deep into the character) but i thought this was a valid criticism.

"the books also had a side story or two wherein jack turns the tables on ordinary criminals with fiendishly clever ploys. For me that was always the best part of the repairman jack novels and the most interesting."

the ordinary criminals and the ordinary world provide the contrast to the otherness that is needed in the composition.

When i first read a jack novel i wasn't expecting to be taken around the bend when the normal world met weird-and it was so freakin' cool!

And the otherness mythology in the right balance is strange and terrifying. Too much and it can become a bit tedious.

That being said, i'm probably hooked for life no matter what. But some of the rj series have been superior for the above reasons. To me anyway. And no you can't please everyone, so who cares.

Chris

holy shit!!!! Fwah is back!!!!

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
DrFoix   10-21-2008, 05:29 PM
And this time its personal...

Good '80's movie tagline.

Chris
fpw   10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
[SIZE="3"]I was a little surprised, is all.

I expected some negativity to Infernal -- it's more character driven and Lovecraftian than the rest of the series -- and got it. Fine.

With By the Sword I was unsure how the Kakureta Kao would be received, was afraid I'd made it too complicated, and that the two climaxes would irritate readers. If I took a beating, I'd understand. But the fan sites gushed over the limited and the trade reviews were almost uniformly enthusiastic, so I scratched my head at the 3 stars. [/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Legion   10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Not so hot. Shows you can please some of the people some of the time, but...[/SIZE]

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Repairman-Ja...354&sr=1-1

Hell, the one guy saying it wouldn't be a good introduction to the series and that it seems to be a lead in to the next novel obviously cant read. If he had bothered to read the introduction he would see that you yourself said exactly that. These last books are becoming part of a thread and are NOT to be read first if you intend to understand the series. They are NOT stand alone books.

They're not exactly of the level of intelligence needed when you review a book.

[Image: hope.jpg]

Guns Don't Kill People, ATF Agents Do!
Wapitikev   10-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Wapitikev's 1st rule: "There are stupid people everywhere...the trick is to avoid being one of them, as often as possible."

It seems that a majority of the Amazon reviewers are not trying very hard.

I enjoyed By The Sword very much, despite specific objections, previously posted elswhere. Compared to literature by other authors in the horror / mystery / adventure genres, I would still rate By The Sword at 3.5 or 4 stars out of 5.

Keep in mind, as well, that those are reader reviews, not professional or juried reviews, and take them for what they're worth.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Pages (2): 1 2