Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
mores   05-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I read on an iPhone. You can also read on any other smartphone, no need to buy an expensive ereader.

As to your other issues: yes, you need to re-buy books that you own in print. You could scan them in and digitize them yourself. You could also digitize your VHS tapes.
Or up-scale your DVDs to make them look like blu-ray movies. That's unfortunate.
But: this will be the end of the line. Once the book is in your PC, you will be able to work with them in the future.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
mores Wrote:I read on an iPhone. You can also read on any other smartphone, no need to buy an expensive ereader.

As to your other issues: yes, you need to re-buy books that you own in print. You could scan them in and digitize them yourself. You could also digitize your VHS tapes.
Or up-scale your DVDs to make them look like blu-ray movies. That's unfortunate.
But: this will be the end of the line. Once the book is in your PC, you will be able to work with them in the future.

Books rule.

E-books are one of Satan's lures.

See, as I've posted before, the Evil One cannot create anything. He can only mimic and mock God's work:

Decaf coffee.

Light beer.

Nicotine-free cigarettes

And e-books.
mores   05-03-2010, 04:25 PM
You're the bookstore-guy, right?
Time to wake up and enlist in a re-training center near you.

I agree with you on the light-beer, though Wink
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-03-2010, 04:31 PM
mores Wrote:You're the bookstore-guy, right?
Time to wake up and enlist in a re-training center near you.

I agree with you on the light-beer, though Wink

When did you enlist with Satan, mores?

A piece of revenge you had to take care of?

A broken heart, so bad that tears blocked your vision?

Or were you just born a philosophical anarchist? :eek6::eek6:Big Grin
mores   05-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I enlisted about 9 years ago. Started reading ebooks on a pocket PC, and it was even illegal since I got the book for free in the interwebz. Since then I have been an avid reader again.

I was just born with a sense of comfort. I like to read whenever I like, wherever I like. Having my book(s) in my pocket is about as simple as it gets.

I also understand people who like to sit in old, creaky leather chairs and celebrate the entire literary experience. Just as I don't make fun of their mildew and dust addiction I don't like being judged by the medium I consume my literature with.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-03-2010, 04:42 PM
mores Wrote:I enlisted about 9 years ago. Started reading ebooks on a pocket PC, and it was even illegal since I got the book for free in the interwebz. Since then I have been an avid reader again.

I was just born with a sense of comfort. I like to read whenever I like, wherever I like. Having my book(s) in my pocket is about as simple as it gets.

I also understand people who like to sit in old, creaky leather chairs and celebrate the entire literary experience. Just as I don't make fun of their mildew and dust addiction I don't like being judged by the medium I consume my literature with.

Mercy!

Do you believe in intellectual property rights, mores?
mores   05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Of course I do.
I should have clarified that this first illegal download was "a beginner's foolishness".
I don't like to work for free, so why should anyone else.

But that's not the topic here, right?
Why do we still need to suffer from "out of print" in these times? Why deprive people of a certain story? Why prevent the author from earning money just because someone decided a book should not be printed anymore?
Why should FPW not continue to make money on "Black Wind"? It's not available in eBook format, I can't buy it in Europe, and if it's being sold in used bookstores, guess who will NOT see a dime of that?
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-03-2010, 05:04 PM
mores Wrote:Of course I do.
I should have clarified that this first illegal download was "a beginner's foolishness".
I don't like to work for free, so why should anyone else.

But that's not the topic here, right?
Why do we still need to suffer from "out of print" in these times? Why deprive people of a certain story? Why prevent the author from earning money just because someone decided a book should not be printed anymore?
Why should FPW not continue to make money on "Black Wind"? It's not available in eBook format, I can't buy it in Europe, and if it's being sold in used bookstores, guess who will NOT see a dime of that?

Paul saw his dime when the book was purchased. What the buyer chose afterwards to do with the book, is her or his own business.

If enough people want to read a book, it will be in print. If not enough people want to read it, it will fall out of print. It's called "capitalism." Surprisingly, market forces seem to work.

But do you need BLACK WIND, mores? Pm me your mailing address, and I will send you a copy.
mores   05-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Funny you should mention "capitalism" Smile It's this "market force" that is responsible for the increase in ebook sales, this satanic movement you're so against.

As to Paul's dime, it was ONE. Make it available in ebook form and it will be plenty more. By those that wish to read it but who's voice is not loud enough to turn on printing presses.

Thanks for your offer to send me Black Wind (I'm assuming the dead-tree version), but I'll have to decline (thus pressuring Paul to send it to amazonSmile )
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-03-2010, 05:32 PM
mores Wrote:Funny you should mention "capitalism" Smile It's this "market force" that is responsible for the increase in ebook sales, this satanic movement you're so against.

As to Paul's dime, it was ONE. Make it available in ebook form and it will be plenty more. By those that wish to read it but who's voice is not loud enough to turn on printing presses.

Thanks for your offer to send me Black Wind (I'm assuming the dead-tree version), but I'll have to decline (thus pressuring Paul to send it to amazonSmile )

Lemme get this right, mores. I offer to send you a copy of BLACK WIND. You decline. Thinking Paul will say, "Dear me! Mores refuses a copy of BLACK WIND, which the kind and generous Bluesman offers, which I =would= get a dime from, in the hope that his refusal to read my book will somehow pressure me into sending my book to amazon."

Is that about right, mores?:eek:
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6