Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Al Meyer Wrote:Very. You are very welcome over here.

Thank you, Al!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
sigokat Wrote:Mike, when your B&N goes under due to e-books taking over all you have to do is ask that fan-loving Yankees franchise if they will help you pay your rent. I'm sure Steinbrenner or Jeter or A-Rod won't mind giving up some of their "hard earned" money for a fan, right? Right? Hello? Hello?

I've hustled on Times Square before. I can do it again.
Bacardi Jim   11-07-2009, 04:26 AM
Mike:

I do 80% of my reading on Kindle. I love it. The books are cheaper and easier to transport.

I pre-order all my books by FPW, Terry Pratchett and Stephen King in hardback. I want them forever.

I recently wanted to re-read McCammon's Swan Song. It's available for Kindle, but I got out my much-(MUCH)-battered ancient paperback copy to read instead.

I'll never read Watership Down on Kindle. But I will (God willing) replace my falling-to-pieces copy of A Canticle for Leibowitz with a digital version.

Where do I fit in Satan's game?

At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
ccosborne3   11-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I've hustled on Times Square before. I can do it again.

You're getting a little old for that aren't you Blues? Guys your age generally are on the paying side.

The Nook actually does seem to be a superior product. It's better looking, has a touch screen, and more titles are available. Also the Esales should help balance out the losses at the brick and mortar stores. Word is they will be offering coupons to Nook owners when they step inside a Barnes & Noble store. Great idea to get the Ebook people back in stores. Nook owners will also be able to read entire books inside the store, which could drive up coffee sales.Smile

The Nook is a great move by Barnes & Noble.
Aprilis   11-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I'm not awake yet, mores. Partied late last night with fellow Yankees fans.

But yes, e-books are indeed Satan's work. I was talking with him last Wednesday night. Satan wants print books gone. His thought is, The Bible in =print= has power. As electrons, not so much. What can I tell you? That's what he told me.

Mike - you've been hitting the sauce too hard! :yesnod:

that wasnt Satan it was too much beer and/or liquor!

The world is full of idiots ... It's up to you to not be one of them.
Auskar   11-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I like the idea of ebooks but I am unhappy because it seems expensive.

1) Why do I have to buy the reader and the ebooks?
2) Maybe I get coupons for books?
3) What if I already have the book?
4) If I want to read a book I already own on my reader, do I have to rebuy it?
5) There are so many readers now, which one is best?
6) I'll buy a reader, I just don't know which one.

TerrLight.com, is where I can spout off about anything. Visit. Link.
ccosborne3   11-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Auskar Wrote:I like the idea of ebooks but I am unhappy because it seems expensive.

I started out with a Kindle but moved up to the Kindle DX. Currently it's the best/ relevant/ priciest ereader available. Don't think I could go back to the smaller screen. I'd stay away from the Sony products, I think with the Nook coming out Sony will be squeezed out of the picture. As costly as they are whatever you decide to buy will pay for itself in a year tops by purchasing cheaper books. Most new releases are just $9.99.

You can't transfer the books you already own. Think of it like the DVD switchover from VCR's. Nobody gave you a free DVD player and offered to replace your previous purchases with DVD's did they?
Aprilis   11-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Auskar Wrote:I like the idea of ebooks but I am unhappy because it seems expensive.

#4 - I know right just like having to buy all of our albums again on cassette and then again on cd ... And all of our VHS movies we have to buy again on dvd and then again when we download them ....

The world is full of idiots ... It's up to you to not be one of them.
Bacardi Jim   11-12-2009, 05:36 AM

1. Because of free enterprise. Damn those jerks for wanting to make a profit.

2. E-books are dramatically cheaper than hardback copies. For older books, they are even cheaper than paperback copies. You want a coupon too?

3. Then bully for you. I've bought e-book versions of exactly three books I already owned--because my copies are falling apart and I know I will want to read them again and again. Nobody is putting a gun to your head (much as everyone here likes to put guns to people's heads) and forcing you to buy an e-book version of a book you already own.

4. On the Kindle, once you have bought an e-book, you never have to pay again for a second copy.... EXCEPT.... there is a limit (6, I think) of different devices to which you can transfer your original purchase of the book.

5. Kindle

6. Kindle

At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
SickThing   11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Bacardi Jim Wrote:2. E-books are dramatically cheaper than hardback copies. For older books, they are even cheaper than paperback copies. You want a coupon too?

Um, not always. They should be, but I've seen plenty of examples on Amazon where the eBook was more expensive than the physical book (in whatever format).

Hunter
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6