Maggers   09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I recommend "Burn After Reading." I don't want to write anything specific about the film because you should just hop on and enjoy the ride, and I think you will. This film jogs along taking unexpected right and left turns that somehow bring it all home. No way could I have predicted anything that happened. Scenes that appeared funny in the ads were not what they seemed in the film, attribute that to the magic of editing and creating movie trailers. But there are loads of hilarious scenes. More importantly, a wildly creative script buttresses this movie. Much of the really funny stuff is in summation dialogues that explain rather than show what happened. That's my one gripe about the movie. I'd rather have seen some of what was described, especially at the end. But that's a relatively minor gripe, one that most people won't even consider.

The actors are all terrific and none is portrayed flatteringly. In tiny roles, Clare Danes and Dermot Mulroney are used in a uniquely amusing way.

There's never been a spy movie like this, and you can't even call it a spy movie. It's a wild and crazy, absurdist sex farce involving government employees romp.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   09-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Maggers Wrote:I recommend "Burn After Reading." I don't want to write anything specific about the film because you should just hop on and enjoy the ride, and I think you will. This film jogs along taking unexpected right and left turns that somehow bring it all home. No way could I have predicted anything that happened. Scenes that appeared funny in the ads were not what they seemed in the film, attribute that to the magic of editing and creating movie trailers. But there are loads of hilarious scenes. More importantly, a wildly creative script buttresses this movie. Much of the really funny stuff is in summation dialogues that explain rather than show what happened. That's my one gripe about the movie. I'd rather have seen some of what was described, especially at the end. But that's a relatively minor gripe, one that most people won't even consider.

The actors are all terrific and none is portrayed flatteringly. In tiny roles, Clare Danes and Dermot Mulroney are used in a uniquely amusing way.

There's never been a spy movie like this, and you can't even call it a spy movie. It's a wild and crazy, absurdist sex farce involving government employees romp.
I was disappointed in the mediocre reviews, but I still want to see this.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
saynomore   09-18-2008, 08:39 PM
There were more pluses than minuses. My brother laughed twice as hard as I did. The theater raised the ticket prices one buck and after the movie, my brother said that for this movie it was worth the extra buck. We usually see art house movies and indies, but when the Coen's make a movie, it's time to go to the mega-theater-plex and see it. Brad Pitt steals the movie. But the movie plays out like one of those jokes: There's an Arab, a Jew, and a Nun on a plane.... More straight-line than punchline. I didn't laugh as much as my brother, but I recommend it. Ditto Maggers' complaint about the offscreen explanations--like rushing to sum up the story without showing it. Maybe the DVD will have the deleted scenes.

AC

P.S. I watched Oh Brother, Where art Thou? the same night (the only Coen's movie I hadn't seen--but which I had unopened at home). Boy, comedy without violence or bloodshed. What a difference from the last two Coen movies, or their whole oeuvre, for that matter.
Kenji   04-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Today I saw Burn After Reading, and this is the funniest comedy movie in this year so far for me.

I really like Coen Brother's films. Their script is brilliant. I don't understand why they can make terrific stories. They are geniuses. Sometimes I think they are not human. I think they came from outer planet for saving recent stereotyped Hollywood movies. Big Grin

BAR was full of dark humor. Even bloody murder scenes were funny.

My favorite scene was [spoiler]when George Clooney found out Brad Pitt in a closet. Poor Brad Pitt!!![/spoiler]:xd:
Kenji   04-26-2009, 09:52 AM
ImDeranged Wrote:It's great to see David Rasche in a major movie too.

He was in another good movie, "The Sentinel". He played the President. He made me laugh. "Sledge Hammer became President!" Big Grin
t4terrific   04-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Maggers Wrote:I recommend "Burn After Reading." I don't want to write anything specific about the film because you should just hop on and enjoy the ride, and I think you will. This film jogs along taking unexpected right and left turns that somehow bring it all home. No way could I have predicted anything that happened. Scenes that appeared funny in the ads were not what they seemed in the film, attribute that to the magic of editing and creating movie trailers. But there are loads of hilarious scenes. More importantly, a wildly creative script buttresses this movie. Much of the really funny stuff is in summation dialogues that explain rather than show what happened. That's my one gripe about the movie. I'd rather have seen some of what was described, especially at the end. But that's a relatively minor gripe, one that most people won't even consider.

I thought it was witty and funny. It seemed as though The Coens were getting back to their older style of dark comedy. I really liked all the unexpected and strangely timed deaths. It never allowed me to get a sense of where the movie was going. It kept me wondering. I like that.
Dan   04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Maggers Wrote:Scenes that appeared funny in the ads were not what they seemed in the film, attribute that to the magic of editing and creating movie trailers.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have to post this YouTube link that you made me think of.

Ever wonder whether The Shining could have been a romantic comedy?

I know I did.
Silverfish   04-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I really did not enjoy this movie.

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
webby   04-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Silverfish Wrote:I really did not enjoy this movie.

I also found it very un-funny. And I really wanted to like it.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
law dawg   04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Kenji Wrote:Today I saw Burn After Reading, and this is the funniest comedy movie in this year so far for me.

I really like Coen Brother's films. Their script is brilliant. I don't understand why they can make terrific stories. They are geniuses. Sometimes I think they are not human. I think they came from outer planet for saving recent stereotyped Hollywood movies. Big Grin

BAR was full of dark humor. Even bloody murder scenes were funny.

My favorite scene was [spoiler]when George Clooney found out Brad Pitt in a closet. Poor Brad Pitt!!![/spoiler]:xd:
I loved it. Laughed my ass off.

My fave scene was the scene at the end when the CIA guys were talking about what happened and what lessons were learned. If you've ever worked in government bureaucracy it sounded very, very familiar. Big Grin

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.