thisisatest   08-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Steve D
Saw MC yesterday with the galfriend. I'm a big fan of the first movie with Lawrence Harvey and enjoyed comparing the two movies as I watched Densel Washington unsuspectingly rush toward his "fate." This new version is actually more horror/sci-fi than the first, which is more political/paranoid thriller. Anyway, I recommend this movie from start to finish. My gal says she was disappointed with the ending. I think Demme was right on target with ending. It didn't have to be spelled out for me. I'm not as dumb as I look. No one could be. I got the point. One more note: See if you can catch the reference to EZ Rawlings. It seems I'm the only one who caught it; so that might mean it wasn't really there and I just dreamed about it. Hmmm. No, it was there. Look for it.
DaveStrorm   08-16-2004, 07:09 PM
thisisatest Wrote:I think Demme was right on target with ending. It didn't have to be spelled out for me. I'm not as dumb as I look. No one could be. I got the point.

Well I don't know how dumb I look, but I might be just plain dumb 'cause I didn't exactly get the ending. Or maybe I look dumb, too. I don't know. Big Grin

I couldn't tell who exactly, umm, initiated the events at the end as they happened. If one thing triggered another or both were already going to happen as they did anyway. If you don't want to post a spoiler here, you can PM me through the board. I'd be interested to hear your take.
thisisatest   08-17-2004, 01:57 PM
DaveStrorm Wrote:Well I don't know how dumb I look, but I might be just plain dumb 'cause I didn't exactly get the ending. Or maybe I look dumb, too. I don't know. Big Grin

I couldn't tell who exactly, umm, initiated the events at the end as they happened. If one thing triggered another or both were already going to happen as they did anyway. If you don't want to post a spoiler here, you can PM me through the board. I'd be interested to hear your take.

Steve D
I'll PM you after work. My galfriend and her friends at work are in agreement about the unsatisfying ending, she informed me when I picked her up from work last evening. I must be in the minority as the editing gave a clear picture what was going on (think Godfather--all Coppola did was show a character's expression to get across a point to the audience; remember when they're going to kill Luca Brazi? The facial expressions clued you in what was going to happen before it happened). Or am I just rambling? No, I'm pretty sure I got the ending.
Annice Burdeos   08-19-2004, 08:39 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D
I'll PM you after work. My galfriend and her friends at work are in agreement about the unsatisfying ending, she informed me when I picked her up from work last evening. I must be in the minority as the editing gave a clear picture what was going on (think Godfather--all Coppola did was show a character's expression to get across a point to the audience; remember when they're going to kill Luca Brazi? The facial expressions clued you in what was going to happen before it happened). Or am I just rambling? No, I'm pretty sure I got the ending.

You guys really liked this film?

I thought it was stupid and Washington was really idiotic in the scene where he learns that he has an implant. Geez, his body would have told him sooner than the ten years depicted on screen.

The original may have been better (which I have never seen but my folks and their friends enjoy it immensely). Even when you substitute Dubya and friends, the film smacks of over the top acting to robotic stares.

Can we say Streep for another Oscar nom ?
This post was last modified: 08-23-2004, 05:21 PM by Annice Burdeos.