Pages (2): 1 2   
Lysistrata   08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
By the Sword Spoiler

In By the Sword, we learn that the First Age ended through geological upheavals, and indeed Flood myths abound in all cultures.

What could had caused this universal flood and buried the First Age civilization, without leaving too many tracks (that we know of)?

Hypothesis for the Flood have included:
- Floods more important than usual (as regularly happens)
- An asteroid crashing into the ocean
- A large tsunami in the Mediterranean Sea caused by the Thera eruption

It could have been indeed a volcano eruption. But not the “tiny” Thera. Let’s imagine an undersea supervolcano. Its eruption would trigger tsunamis that would wipe out any life on the sea shores and deep into the mainland. Earthquakes would destroy anything looking like a building. Then, millions of cubic meters of sea water vaporized by the lava would be hurled in the atmosphere and travel around earth, causing rain to fall for days and days and days, effectively drowning everything and causing mudslides.

As if earth had shaked itself of unwanted tenants and then taken a long shower.

Volcano eruptions from the past are known today because they left tracks. But what tracks could leave a volcano hidden in the depth of some ocean? Only destruction and flood myths.

Trying to be nice
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Lysistrata Wrote:
By the Sword Spoiler

In By the Sword, we learn that the First Age ended through geological upheavals, and indeed Flood myths abound in all cultures.

What could had caused this universal flood and buried the First Age civilization, without leaving too many tracks (that we know of)?

Hypothesis for the Flood have included:
- Floods more important than usual (as regularly happens)
- An asteroid crashing into the ocean
- A large tsunami in the Mediterranean Sea caused by the Thera eruption

It could have been indeed a volcano eruption. But not the “tiny” Thera. Let’s imagine an undersea supervolcano. Its eruption would trigger tsunamis that would wipe out any life on the sea shores and deep into the mainland. Earthquakes would destroy anything looking like a building. Then, millions of cubic meters of sea water vaporized by the lava would be hurled in the atmosphere and travel around earth, causing rain to fall for days and days and days, effectively drowning everything and causing mudslides.

As if earth had shaked itself of unwanted tenants and then taken a long shower.

Volcano eruptions from the past are known today because they left tracks. But what tracks could leave a volcano hidden in the depth of some ocean? Only destruction and flood myths.

Mighty ah-deers, Lys, but wouldn't we have geological evidence of such a catastrophe? (And yeah, I know about Velikovsky's theory that humanitys' collective memory was battered into amnesia by the diasaster.)
Lysistrata   08-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Mighty ah-deers, Lys, but wouldn't we have geological evidence of such a catastrophe? (And yeah, I know about Velikovsky's theory that humanitys' collective memory was battered into amnesia by the diasaster.)

We do not know what lays at the bottom of the oceans. Plus the caldera today would probably be covered with algae. Plus the tsunamis would have wiped everything clean. Plus I like the theory :p

Trying to be nice
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Lysistrata Wrote:We do not know what lays at the bottom of the oceans. Plus the caldera today would probably be covered with algae. Plus the tsunamis would have wiped everything clean. Plus I like the theory :p

Back in the early 70s, Ivan Sanderson published INVISIBLE RESIDENTS in which he put forth the proposition YOU CAN PETITION THE LORD WITH PR--ah, sorry, no, he did not put forth that proposition. But he suggested a technical civilization exists in the oceans. I was working at Flying Saucer News Bookstore back then, and Ivan would drop in once in awhile. So I asked him, "Dr. Sanderson--" "I have degrees in zoology, botany, and geology from Cambridge, but I have no doctorate. Call me 'Ivan.'" "Well, Ivan, how could this be? Sea creatures--those we know of, anyway-- have no thumbs and no fire. How could they make machines?" "I don't really think they could. I just like to shake things up, get people to examine their preconceptions."

Must go play Trivia, Lys--Vive La France, and catch you on Sunday!
This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Ken Valentine   08-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Lysistrata Wrote:[B][align=center]In By the Sword, we learn that the First Age ended through geological upheavals, and indeed Flood myths abound in all cultures.
Glaeken also spoke of this to Magda in THE KEEP.
Ken V.
Legion   08-05-2008, 12:24 PM
ALOT of cultures, especially many Native American cultures claim that we are living at the end of the Seventh age. The ANCIENT fields of Trinitite in the middle east back up this claim.

I mean, how hard is it to believe that we've reached this place a few times before and been stupid enough to destroy ourselves or stupid enough to beat the crap outta the Earth Mother and expect no punishment?

[Image: hope.jpg]

Guns Don't Kill People, ATF Agents Do!
Lysistrata   08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Legion Wrote:ALOT of cultures, especially many Native American cultures claim that we are living at the end of the Seventh age. The ANCIENT fields of Trinitite in the middle east back up this claim.

I mean, how hard is it to believe that we've reached this place a few times before and been stupid enough to destroy ourselves or stupid enough to beat the crap outta the Earth Mother and expect no punishment?

The Mayan Calendar ends on December 21, 2012... only 4 RJ novels to go Confusedquigglemouth:

Trying to be nice
Legion   08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Lysistrata Wrote:The Mayan Calendar ends on December 21, 2012... only 4 RJ novels to go Confusedquigglemouth:

I am very aware of that date. Not only have I been counting down to it for the past decade, but my son's birthday is December 20th 2007. He will be five years old the day before the world ends.

Lysistrata   08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Legion Wrote:I am very aware of that date. Not only have I been counting down to it for the past decade, but my son's birthday is December 20th 2007. He will be five years old the day before the world ends.

Maybe just the Holier-Than-Thou will be raptured (if such a verb exists) and we will be left between us :p

Trying to be nice
Legion   08-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Lysistrata Wrote:Maybe just the Holier-Than-Thou will be raptured (if such a verb exists) and we will be left between us :p

I truly hope so. Thats when things will get fun.

Pages (2): 1 2