Pages (8):    1 2 3 4 5 8   
bones weep tedium   07-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Maggers Wrote:Welcome!

I read THE KEEP when it was first published and became a life long FPW fan. I had to look long and hard for other FPW books, though. The never seemed to be readily available back then. Now I have them all, some second hand, some not. I'm a happy girl.

How did you find out about such things in the days before the internet?

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
unlikelyhero   07-29-2008, 06:25 PM
My first book was legacies before I knew that the tomb preceded it in the order. As I said in another thread I started, I remember walking the book store trying to find a book that drew my interests and came across a book that had a a guy silhouetted in the middle. Once I read the short on the back I knew I had to read it at least to see if it was as good as it sounded. Just the same, it did make references to the first book but could be considered a stand alone if you haven't heard of repairman jack.

Once I found out I skipped a book I searched for it but could never find a copy of the tomb so I continued on. I finally got a copy of the tomb just recently but alas I still haven't cracked it open....I have been spreading the word of jack to others and feel I have won over a few more to the the fan base. Anyways I'm def glad I stumbled, almost literally, into the series.
cobalt   07-29-2008, 07:17 PM
But you HAVE to read The Tomb. Much to learn about Jack and so many other "things". Big Grin

EWMAN
Legion   07-29-2008, 07:32 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:But you HAVE to read The Tomb. Much to learn about Jack and so many other "things". Big Grin

I second that, mate. The Tomb is a mandatory read if you are going through the rest of the series. I FULLY understand your eagerness, but if you're going the full length You HAVE to read The Tomb, as there are important things in it.

[Image: hope.jpg]

Guns Don't Kill People, ATF Agents Do!
Legion   07-30-2008, 10:46 AM
ImDeranged Wrote:What's this The Tomb everyone's talking about? :confused: My first FPW book was the $4.99 bargain version of The Keep. I liked it so much as soon as I was done I ordered the limited edition Borderland Press version. Figured anybody that could write a book like that deserves some more of my money so I added the limited edition Rakoshi into my cart as well.
So The Keep was my first FPW book, but Rakoshi was my first RJ book. I'm still hoping the next book is named "The 13th Tomb". It wouldn't even have to have a tomb in it :out:

LMAO! Not at you, at the situation.

The Tomb is Rakoshi. It was originally named The Tomb because Paul's publishers were being jerks, saying his title wouldn't draw in any readers.

So if you read Rakoshi then you're reading an updated version of The Tomb.

Libby   07-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Automatic Jack Wrote:Just wondering, seeing as I'm likely not to get any sleep tonight, which of the novels was your first? By which I mean, which one of the books precipitated your transition from RJ virgin to full-blown Jackaholic? (Forgive me if this is a repeat of another thread.)

As for me, I was very fond of Masque before I'd even heard of the RJ books, but one day I was surfing the library shelves and the bright green of Hosts caught my eye. I kind of wish I could recapture that feeling of simply jumping into the series without any background knowledge of the previous books; other than a few references to "that event", it was fairly stand-alone. And it was early enough that the meaning of certain motifs, like women with dogs, wasn't as imperative to my understanding.

If you'll recall, Hosts also starts out from the POV of a character other than RJ, which added to the unsettling feeling of reading out of order. I can't quite remember what I thought about it, except that I must have liked it enough to immediately borrow the whole series. I guess for me, you could say Hosts was a "Gateway" novel, har dee har.

And then after I was hooked, I'd fully read up to Haunted Air before even getting my hands on a copy of The Tomb, because the library had every book except the first one Rolleyes So it was very interesting to read the series backwards like I did. The characters and events are revealed in a slightly skewed manner that you wouldn't get from reading them chronologically. Of course I'm forced to go at them in order from now on, since whenever a new one comes out I read it immediately!

Hi! A little late for a welcome, but I will say it anyway. WELCOME!!!Smile I stared with The Ton\mb when I was 12. I LOVED it, and continued in order from there, except I had some trouble at first finding Infernal and Gateways.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Dave F   08-03-2008, 06:37 PM
As a teenager I was a big Stephen King & James Herbert. My aunt got a first edition mass market hardback edition of the Keep from a book club

I borrowed it and the rest is history

However it was dificult to find non adversary cycle stuff over here until the internet came along

Welcome BTW

The artist formally known as Britfan
lexator222   08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, I started with "The Keep" back before the movie came out. The critics called it "A vampire vs the nazis" and I was fasinated by that idea. By the time I realized that it was not a vampire, I was too deep into the story to let go, and was delightfully surprised that Molasar was something different, something older than just a plain old vampire. The best of the vampire lore at that time was the new TV movie "The night stalker" which brought "Kolchalk" to life. But this story line was much better, Molasar was much older, much more of an original evil. When the touch came out, I grabbed it up in a heartbeat, and then I found "The Tomb". At the time I did not know which was written first, but they were both great. I still have all my original paperbacks from the old days, and would not part with them for love nor money! Hehehehe
(many have tried, and failed! Mess with the best, die like the rest!)
Lexator
lexator222   08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I just read some of the other comments, and was thinking:

Since "The Tomb" is now "Rakoshi", perhaps FPW can write a new version of "The Tomb" wherein there actually IS a tomb, and repairman Jack can explore and destroy some sort of evil that is connected to all other otherness evil somehow!

It's just a thought!

Lexator
Legion   08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
lexator222 Wrote:I just read some of the other comments, and was thinking:

Since "The Tomb" is now "Rakoshi", perhaps FPW can write a new version of "The Tomb" wherein there actually IS a tomb, and repairman Jack can explore and destroy some sort of evil that is connected to all other otherness evil somehow!

It's just a thought!

Lexator

I totally agree. Plus it would be a BIG tongue in cheek poke at the publishers. lol When I first read that book I was confused as hell as to what Tomb tey were referring to. I think its a brilliant idea!

Pages (8):    1 2 3 4 5 8