Pages (2): 1 2   
Whatley   07-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Do a search for the Weapon Shops Of Isher. Does anyone else think that this book or at the very least the title was an inspiration for Abe's shop?
jonledon   07-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Could be on to something?

What say you, FPW?
Legion   07-14-2008, 10:07 AM
heres a link for an article on it.

http://www.geocities.com/fantasticreview..._isher.htm

I particularly like this part
Quote:In addition, van Vogt was a pioneer at revising and combining previously published short stories into novels, a practice many other writers emulated to find new audiences and enhance their financial rewards. Van Vogt even coined the term "fixup," still used to describe such novels. The Weapon Shops of Isher is an example of van Vogt's skills at crafting fixup novels.

[Image: hope.jpg]

Guns Don't Kill People, ATF Agents Do!
Ken Valentine   07-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Whatley Wrote:Do a search for the Weapon Shops Of Isher. Does anyone else think that this book or at the very least the title was an inspiration for Abe's shop?
If I remember correctly, Paul got permission from A.E. Van Vogt to use the quote, and the name. I believe it's mentioned in the acknowledgements section of THE TOMB.

Ken V.
Whatley   07-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:If I remember correctly, Paul got permission from A.E. Van Vogt to use the quote, and the name. I believe it's mentioned in the acknowledgements section of THE TOMB.

Ken V.

Wow, I need to pay more attention. I just checked my copy of Tomb and you are correct. It was just a coincidence that I ran across the "Isher" books.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Whatley Wrote:Wow, I need to pay more attention. I just checked my copy of Tomb and you are correct. It was just a coincidence that I ran across the "Isher" books.

Coincidence? What's that mean, these days?
Ken Valentine   07-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Whatley Wrote:Wow, I need to pay more attention. I just checked my copy of Tomb and you are correct. It was just a coincidence that I ran across the "Isher" books.
It's easy to miss. How many people (aside from me) read the acknowledgements? Big Grin

Ken V.
webby   07-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:It's easy to miss. How many people (aside from me) read the acknowledgements? Big Grin

Ken V.

:itsme: Me! Sometimes I even read the notes about the typeface. The Compleat Book Nerd.

And by the way, welcome aboard Whatley! :hello:

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-14-2008, 11:39 AM
webby Wrote::itsme: Me! Sometimes I even read the notes about the typeface. The Compleat Book Nerd.

And by the way, welcome aboard Whatley! :hello:

I read everything too, Webby. With many authors (not Paul, of course), that stuff is the best part of the book. (In one of his collections, Joe Haldeman noted ruefully that many readers found his comments on the stories better than the tales themselves!)
This post was last modified: 07-14-2008, 11:42 AM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Ken Valentine   07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
webby Wrote::itsme: Me! Sometimes I even read the notes about the typeface. The Compleat Book Nerd.
And to whom the book is dedicated.

Quote:And by the way, welcome aboard Whatley! :hello:
Yes, welcome aboard. (I forgot that, thanks for reminding me, Webby.)

Ken V.
Pages (2): 1 2