Pages (2): 1 2   
Gerald Rice   08-09-2004, 09:58 AM
This movie was great. I can't recall a movie where Tom Cruise is the antagonist, but he plays one well here. Collateral is more about Jamie Foxx's character, Max, than Tom Cruise's Vincent, but Foxx holds his own well. Max is a neat-freak cab driver with aspirations of owning his own limousine company and Vincent is a hitman on a timetable. There's a reason why he takes a cab rather than renting a car that I won't give away but the core story is told in the moments when Vincent is in the back seat.
stacyzinda123   08-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:This movie was great. I can't recall a movie where Tom Cruise is the antagonist, but he plays one well here. Collateral is more about Jamie Foxx's character, Max, than Tom Cruise's Vincent, but Foxx holds his own well. Max is a neat-freak cab driver with aspirations of owning his own limousine company and Vincent is a hitman on a timetable. There's a reason why he takes a cab rather than renting a car that I won't give away but the core story is told in the moments when Vincent is in the back seat.

This isn't related to the movie (which looks good, although I haven't seen it). I was wondering where you got your avatar. That dog is 100% adorable Big Grin
thisisatest   08-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:This movie was great. I can't recall a movie where Tom Cruise is the antagonist, but he plays one well here. Collateral is more about Jamie Foxx's character, Max, than Tom Cruise's Vincent, but Foxx holds his own well. Max is a neat-freak cab driver with aspirations of owning his own limousine company and Vincent is a hitman on a timetable. There's a reason why he takes a cab rather than renting a car that I won't give away but the core story is told in the moments when Vincent is in the back seat.

Steve D
This is a very layered movie, one that should be watched (when it's out) on DVD with subtitles because the dialogue is so important. The movie flew by and at the movie's end I realized that I was not breathing. I released a long sigh and the movie sunk in like a great book. I'm still thinking about it. Don' t think you know what this movie's going to be about based on the ads. This is one movie where the action is not the driving force of the plot--the dialogue is, and character development. I wish to say more, but I'm close to spilling some spoilers; so just go watch it and let it wash over you. And don't forget to breathe.
Gerald Rice   08-10-2004, 12:27 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:This isn't related to the movie (which looks good, although I haven't seen it). I was wondering where you got your avatar. That dog is 100% adorable Big Grin

I got it from an email someone sent of animals showing expressions. I know the pic has to be doctored to make him look angry like that, but he's still cute. I don't know what kind of dog it is, but it looks a lot like my mi-ki who's about 6 different breeds. If I didn't know better I might think that was my dog.
Maggers   03-02-2005, 09:35 PM
I saw "Collateral" in the theater and then again last night on DVD.

On first viewing, I liked it but wasn't crazy about it. I'm a big Michael Mann fan (with one exception Big Grin ), but I have real trouble with Tom Cruise. For me, he seldom embodies his characters. I felt that way when watching "Collateral" this summer.

But on second viewing, that consideration was blown away. For the first time, I watched a Tom Cruise movie without being aware with every frame that it was Tom Cruise on hand.

As wonderful as Jamie Foxx was on first viewing, he's even better the second time around.

Terrifically written, the film has a great look - LA at night, grainy and full of highways, flashing lights and broad vistas that alternate with the circumscribed view of life from the front seat of a cab.

If you haven't seen "Collateral" yet, treat yourself.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

law dawg   03-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Maggers Wrote:I saw "Collateral" in the theater and then again last night on DVD.

On first viewing, I liked it but wasn't crazy about it. I'm a big Michael Mann fan (with one exception Big Grin ), but I have real trouble with Tom Cruise. For me, he seldom embodies his characters. I felt that way when watching "Collateral" this summer.

But on second viewing, that consideration was blown away. For the first time, I watched a Tom Cruise movie without being aware with every frame that it was Tom Cruise on hand.

As wonderful as Jamie Foxx was on first viewing, he's even better the second time around.

Terrifically written, the film has a great look - LA at night, grainy and full of highways, flashing lights and broad vistas that alternate with the circumscribed view of life from the front seat of a cab.

If you haven't seen "Collateral" yet, treat yourself.

Agreed, and the weapons handling skills are top-notch. Somebody worked with Tom for a LOOOONG time....
Paige   03-06-2005, 01:32 AM
i can't believe i missed this thread. i love the movie. when i first watched it in the theater, i was watching my LA. a lot of the time movie makers rip some part out of the city and base a movie around. This one was about LA. all of it, the dirty and the glitzy, the ugly, filled with people, but terribly lonely city in which i live.

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Kenji   03-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Paige Wrote:i can't believe i missed this thread. i love the movie. when i first watched it in the theater, i was watching my LA. a lot of the time movie makers rip some part out of the city and base a movie around. This one was about LA. all of it, the dirty and the glitzy, the ugly, filled with people, but terribly lonely city in which i live.

I like this movie, too. But...dirty, glitzty, ugly.....and lonely city? I don't think so. Well, I don't live in LA, so I'm not sure. But if I go to America tour, I choose LA. Wink

I'm just wondeing. Why did Vincent use Taxi? If I were Vincent, I will use rent-a-car. What do you think?
jimbow8   03-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Kenji Wrote:I'm just wondeing. Why did Vincent use Taxi? If I were Vincent, I will use rent-a-car. What do you think?
Rent a car requires identification and personal information which can be used later to track you.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Paige   03-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Kenji Wrote:I like this movie, too. But...dirty, glitzty, ugly.....and lonely city? I don't think so. Well, I don't live in LA, so I'm not sure. But if I go to America tour, I choose LA. Wink

I'm just wondeing. Why did Vincent use Taxi? If I were Vincent, I will use rent-a-car. What do you think?

a say lonely because even with all the people who live here, no one actually cares enough. Every one is so used to sensationalism that you could be with your hair on fire and no one would say a word. And dirty and glitzy, you've never been to Hollywood. They keep trying to clean it up for at least the tourists, but it's hopeless.

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Pages (2): 1 2