GeraldRice   06-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I got this in my Blockbuster queue a week ago and just didn't have the strength to write a review. A really cool concept that just wasn't explored to the degree it should have. Imagine, a world-wide phenomena and you only explore a paltry few characters. There's a signal broadcast across all televisions and if you stare at it too long, you'll go crazy. Not just any crazy, but a rational, even conversational crazy sometimes as you maim and dismember anyone within arms reach.

That's how this movie starts out when the woman (I don't have the energy to look up the names of the characters) comes home after sleeping with her lover to find her husband entertaining some buddies. Her husband beans one of the guys for almost hitting her with a baseball bat and then proceeds to bash in his head. The other buddy restrains him and she runs out to see some guy chopping people's throats with a pair of hedge clippers.

And then it goes downhill.

The movie is told in 3 segments, the 2nd one being the weakest in which the entire story is told from inside an apartment without even a hint as to the chaos going on outside. Then in the last segment when characters have cause to go outside they are met with virtually NO opposition, no throngs of the teeming mad they have to struggle through to get to where they are going. I don't want to blow the whole film so the only other thing I want to add is people, normal and crazy, are for some strange reason extremely hard to kill. This film begs for a sequel if only to develop the ball dropped that is the semi-original concept.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Marc   06-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Finished watching it tonight and really enjoyed it. While Gerald is right that the concept isn't explored enough, considering they made this sucker for $50,000 is mind blowing. It's got a few scary and funny moments and a semi-art house finale. Each segment definitely has its own vibe which works well and I like how all the characters tie together throughout. (It jumps around a bit but it's effective.)
bones weep tedium   07-01-2008, 05:43 AM
I think it would be a really good game to watch The Signal and The Happening one after the other and then compare and contrast.

See if the extra few million buckets of cashed poured into The Happening really does make for a better film overall . . . :confused:

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
GeraldRice   07-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Marc B. Wrote:Finished watching it tonight and really enjoyed it. While Gerald is right that the concept isn't explored enough, considering they made this sucker for $50,000 is mind blowing. It's got a few scary and funny moments and a semi-art house finale. Each segment definitely has its own vibe which works well and I like how all the characters tie together throughout. (It jumps around a bit but it's effective.)

50 thou? Wow. That changes everything. These guys are genii!!! Big Grin

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Kenji   10-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Just now I saw watched it on rental DVD, and I enjoyed it. It reminded me of Stephen King's CELL.

Yeah, the concept isn't explored enough. But I didn't care to it. Sometimes incomprehensible abnormal things happen. The Happening, Cloverfield, The Mist....

Oh, what a world! :dontknow:
saynomore   10-05-2008, 11:44 PM
this to my netflix. Sounds like Impulse, one of my favorite movies. Also sounds like The Fog by James Herbert.

AC

P.S. Coincidentally, I saw a trailer for The Signal on my current netflix feature, Sick Nurses, an above average ghost/revenge movie currently popular in the Asian horror market. Besides, who could resist renting a movie whose description begins, "Six nubile nurses..."?