Scott Miller   06-07-2008, 12:38 PM
What is it with John Cusack doing straight to video flicks; The Martian Child is the second one I don't recall being in theatres and while it wouldn't have been a blockbuster, it is worth seeing. John plays a widowed SF writer who wants to adopt a child who claims he is from Mars. It's a solid dramedy and fans of Cusack should check it out.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   06-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:What is it with John Cusack doing straight to video flicks; The Martian Child is the second one I don't recall being in theatres and while it wouldn't have been a blockbuster, it is worth seeing. John plays a widowed SF writer who wants to adopt a child who claims he is from Mars. It's a solid dramedy and fans of Cusack should check it out.

It was in theaters in NY. It didn't stay long, but then, no movie does these days except for the blockbusters. At least, that's how it goes in Manhattan.

I haven't seen it, but I'm a fan of Cusack, so I'll check it out at some point.

That's for the head's up, Scott.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Marc   06-07-2008, 02:01 PM
According to IMDB it had a theatrical run starting November 7, 2007. I vaguely remember seeing ads for it but like Magger's said it didn't last long.
Wapitikev   06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:What is it with John Cusack doing straight to video flicks; The Martian Child is the second one I don't recall being in theatres and while it wouldn't have been a blockbuster, it is worth seeing. John plays a widowed SF writer who wants to adopt a child who claims he is from Mars. It's a solid dramedy and fans of Cusack should check it out.

I really enjoyed it as well.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
law dawg   06-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Marc B. Wrote:According to IMDB it had a theatrical run starting November 7, 2007. I vaguely remember seeing ads for it but like Magger's said it didn't last long.

I saw it in the theater. Loved it, but my son is autistic so I'm a little biased.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Mick C.   06-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I read the book, which is non-fiction, but haven't seen the movie yet (will probably pick it up on DVD). It was by David Gerrold, who got his break into SF by writing "The Trouble with Tribbles" for Star Trek. Gerrold is gay, and that's one of the major factors in his life Gerrold discusses in the book. I heard that was dropped from the film to make it more "audience-friendly". Is that true?

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
christie   06-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I was confused at the end, so the child wasn't from mars right? he'd just been in some magorly traumatic events?