Barry Lee Dejasu   06-03-2008, 08:10 AM
I would love to read all of the stories in Revelations at some point, but because of the ties into the Adversary Cycle, I'm getting kind of itchy to just dive in and read "Aryans and Absinthe," finally, but would it take away from the "experience" of Revelations to read that story out of the order it was presented in that book?

Just the usual geek question, I know. We all have to indulge every now and then though, don't we? :alberteinstein:

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
fpw   06-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:I would love to read all of the stories in Revelations at some point, but because of the ties into the Adversary Cycle, I'm getting kind of itchy to just dive in and read "Aryans and Absinthe," finally, but would it take away from the "experience" of Revelations to read that story out of the order it was presented in that book?

Just the usual geek question, I know. We all have to indulge every now and then though, don't we? :alberteinstein:
[SIZE="3"]
REALLY geeky. But each story stands alone; they don't build on each other, so no worry. Read on. It's one of my favorites. I did a ton of research to capture the flavor of times.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Barry Lee Dejasu   06-03-2008, 05:47 PM
fpw Wrote:
REALLY geeky. But each story stands alone; they don't build on each other, so no worry. Read on. It's one of my favorites. I did a ton of research to capture the flavor of times.

I only pleaded the Geek Amendment because Revelations was set up to be like a novel (at least that's how it was advertised), so I just wanted to get that straight. But thanks for the info; I look forward to reading it sometime very soon. Meanwhile I've got this By the Sword thingamajig to trump through...I don't know HOW I manage. Confusedmilewinkgrin:

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Sean Baron   07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I bought the paperback of this eons ago, and have only managed to read the FPW story.

Last year at our local annual used book sale, I came across a First Edition Hardcover signed by 5 or 6 contributers for $1! Deal of the Century!
Scott Miller   07-17-2008, 03:01 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]
REALLY geeky. But each story stands alone; they don't build on each other, so no worry. Read on. It's one of my favorites. I did a ton of research to capture the flavor of times.[/SIZE]

SPOILERS!

I just reread " Aryans and Absinthe" and I'm curious if there really was an assassination attempt on Hitler that catapulted him into the limelight.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
fpw   07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I just reread " Aryans and Absinthe" and I'm curious if there really was an assassination attempt on Hitler that catapulted him into the limelight.

[SIZE="3"]No spoiler here. All events are true -- he was indeed wounded during the Munich putsch. A single shot rang out, precipitating a fusillade. If the bullet that struck Hitler had strayed 6 inches to the side, the Holocaust and maybe even WW2 never would have happened. [/SIZE]
This post was last modified: 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Miller   08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I didn't know that my sister's husband Frank, who is German, was a collector of money so I was surprised when he pulled out a huge envelope of German money that had been printed and coined in 1923 after we had been discussing this story. He had bills that were only printed on one side and others that had been increased from 500 to 500,000. The pre-1923 coins were a 5 mark piece of silver that weighed at least a half pound to a 200 mark piece of aluminum weighing almost nothing after 1923. Interesting, but scary given the state of our current economy.

Scott

Ken Valentine   08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I didn't know that my sister's husband Frank, who is German, was a collector of money so I was surprised when he pulled out a huge envelope of German money that had been printed and coined in 1923 after we had been discussing this story. He had bills that were only printed on one side and others that had been increased from 500 to 500,000. The pre-1923 coins were a 5 mark piece of silver that weighed at least a half pound to a 200 mark piece of aluminum weighing almost nothing after 1923. Interesting, but scary given the state of our current economy.
My father-in-law told me that when he was in his teens, he could buy a penny candy wrapped in a million mark note. The Weimar inflation reached the point where the currency was worth more as paper than it was as currency.

Ken V.
Scott Miller   08-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:My father-in-law told me that when he was in his teens, he could buy a penny candy wrapped in a million mark note. The Weimar inflation reached the point where the currency was worth more as paper than it was as currency.

Ken V.

The story went into great detail about the deflation of the money; Karl was able to pay off all his debt with a single American coin because Ernst convinced him to liquidate all his assets before the bottom dropped out. It was synchronicity that I talked with someone who had the currency from the story so soon after having read it.

Scott

Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]No spoiler here. All events are true -- he was indeed wounded during the Munich putsch. A single shot rang out, precipitating a fusillade. If the bullet that struck Hitler had strayed 6 inches to the side, the Holocaust and maybe even WW2 never would have happened. [/SIZE]

There were several assassination attempts on Hitler. The Generals' plot came closest to success. Perhaps an old esotericist might be forgiven for suggesting the Fuehrer was..."protected"...?:eek: