Wilson   08-06-2004, 11:53 PM
[FONT =Arial]Hey ppl,
Newbie here just a quick note to say...I have been reading the info on Repairman Jack and there seems to be alot of devoted fans, I think to myself...wow this must be a a good character based novel(s), I am just wondering what is the best novel to start with for me, as i do not have 1 single novel in my possesion or have never read any of Wilson's novels coul'd anyone be so kind and advise me what novel to purchase (a novel based on Repairman Jack)
thanks all...Wilson [/FONT ]
Animagess   08-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Wow... how did you get to this site? Did someone reccomend you the books or did you stumble upon it randomly? Well, we'd best send you on your way with a hefty stack of reading material before you run into too many spoilers, so here goes:

The Tomb is the first of the Repairman Jack books and the second of the Adversary books (I think). There's probably a place on this site that will list the books in order. Beware: At the moment, if you dislike ordering things online and don't have access to a ton of secondhand bookstores, you'll have some trouble finding some of the older titles (and they're more popular than you'd think! Most used bookstores I visit will have 100 Steven King novels and maybe one or two FPW novels).

I'd say read either the Keep (if you want the whole WHOLE story) or the Tomb (if you want to just dive into the RJ novels). Whichever way is fine. The RJ books can be read in mostly any order, but it's probably a little more coherent if you read them in chronological sequence (I didn't).

"You gotta tell everyone, Hatcher! Soylent green is PEOPLE!!"

My witty similes will spread across the world like creamy peanut butter.
jimbow8   08-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Wilson Wrote:Hey ppl,
Newbie here just a quick note to say...I have been reading the info on Repairman Jack and there seems to be alot of devoted fans, I think to myself...wow this must be a a good character based novel(s), I am just wondering what is the best novel to start with for me, as i do not have 1 single novel in my possesion or have never read any of Wilson's novels coul'd anyone be so kind and advise me what novel to purchase (a novel based on Repairman Jack)
thanks all...Wilson
Welcome to the board!

Here is the Books link (which is nowhere near a complete list of FPW's works):

http://www.repairmanjack.com/books/books.html

We will expect a 1,000 word review of the Tomb posted by next Friday. Standard for all newbies. Wink

Seriously, read the Tomb first if at all possible. Beware: on the list, The Haunted Air should come before Gateways. (We keep telling them to fix that.) And don't limit yourself strictly to the RJ books. Check out the entire Adversary Cycle and all of Paul's (FPW's) other books.

Jim
This post was last modified: 08-07-2004, 02:24 AM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Lisa   08-07-2004, 03:15 AM
Welcome to the board, Wilson. Your best bet is to start with THE TOMB, then read THE KEEP (not an RJ book but important to understanding stuff in the other books), then continue on with the rest of the RJ novels.

Happy reading!

Lisa
Noelie   08-07-2004, 03:23 AM
Welcome to the board! Personally, I always recommend reading The Keep first. It's what got me started reading FPW, and it stands as one of the best books I have ever read. If you don't want to read it first, do yourself a favor and at least read it early on, cause a lot of things will make more sense if you do.

I've just finished up several of FPW's medical thrillers, and those all get a big thumbs up too. It's not a genre of which I am normally a big fan, but they were really fun reads.

Have fun with it, they are all great books. Big Grin
Kenji   08-07-2004, 04:12 AM
Welcome to our board, Wilson.

The Tomb is first, of course. And.....The Keep, Reborn, Reprisal, Night World, and other RJ books. But I also recommend to you other FPW's books. The Touch, Virgin, Dydeetown World. Those are really great and touching story.
FPW is not only horror writer, he is great storyteller.

Have a enjoy your reading. Wink
Wilson   08-07-2004, 09:00 PM
thnx all for the info...seems i shoul'd read all of his books...lol thnx agen
Wilson
law dawg   08-07-2004, 09:43 PM
We will expect a 1,000 word review of the Tomb posted by next Friday. Standard for all newbies. Wink

This is patently ridiculous Jimbo!! How can I possible write 1000 words on the Tomb and write easily that every other day to you, Ken and RussM?

;-)
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-08-2004, 09:25 PM
law dawg Wrote:We will expect a 1,000 word review of the Tomb posted by next Friday. Standard for all newbies. Wink

This is patently ridiculous Jimbo!! How can I possible write 1000 words on the Tomb and write easily that every other day to you, Ken and RussM?

;-)

The new, uh, newbies are getting off easy. Back when I started, I wasn't even allowed to post until I submitted, for the approval of our Gracious Queens, my 40,000 word dissertation, "Phenomenological Existentialism in the Works of F. Paul Wilson."
Dem wuz de days of true scholarship!
This post was last modified: 08-08-2004, 09:35 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Mailedbypostman   08-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Ha! That's too bad for you above. Welcome to the board Wilson! well, first you should read the keep, then the touch, then the tomb, then continue onwards from there, occasionally reading reborn and the barrens on the way to the end of the rj series......

Contradictions Detected
It does not matter if our answers disagree, as over time the game will change its answers to reflect common knowledge. If you feel that the game is in error, the only way to fix it is to play again.