Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Libby   05-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:Canada has a PM, but since Jack lives in NY and was born, presumably in NJ, I thought that the US centric battle-cry would be apropos

Smile

-Wapitikev

OK.Big Grin That makes sense. Wait, do you have know what Herta's dog was named?

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Wapitikev   05-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Libby Wrote:OK.Big Grin That makes sense. Wait, do you have know what Herta's dog was named?

Sorry; don't remember and I don't own that particular book (my local library supplied it).

I'll make some inquiries and get back to you, if no-one else has by then.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Libby   05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:Sorry; don't remember and I don't own that particular book (my local library supplied it).

I'll make some inquiries and get back to you, if no-one else has by then.

-Wapitikev

Thanks, but you don't have too. I was mearly curious.

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
bones weep tedium   05-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Libby Wrote:I can't wait!*hyperventelate(?)*
Oh, and is the new sword to kill a particular party by any chance the special one in Black Wind?

LINK

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Libby   05-02-2008, 06:00 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:LINK

I didn't know that. Thanks.Smile Now I know that Jack will not have to work too hard to get the sword.
This post was last modified: 05-02-2008, 06:08 PM by Libby.

John_M   05-03-2008, 02:51 PM
The Ladies with Dogs represent one of the most intriguing new elements to the Mythos, don't you think? "I am your mother." Mother Earth? One of the things that makes Gateways one of the finest in a fine series is that we have a close-up look at one of the Ladies. Anya Mundy: Anya is a Russian form of Anna, but also is the Sanskrit word for "inexhaustible". And Mundy could be like the genitive form mundi of Latin mundus, the world. There are a lot of fascinating little points about Anya. For example, her Jainist-like diet, eating nothing but what plants could live without (that is, seeds and fruits). The plants in her home, which seem not only sentient but mobile (like the jasmine vine that kept touching Jack, and also, how they began to attack the chew-wasps). And then there's Oyv-- a most memorable canine character! But I also wonder about The Ladies; when Jack pressed Anya to explain what she meant about being his "mother", she said, "There's no need for you to know yet, I hope you never have to know", which indicates the truth must be pretty mind-bending, if not scary. When asked how many of them there were she said something like, "as many as necessary". That they are connected to each other in ways hard to comprehend is shown by the fact that Anya's death left a hole in the others-- literally, as shown by Herta in Crisscross and the young girl in Infernal. It may turn out that they are indeed "Mother Earth" but I suspect the truth to be something more interesting even than that. Of course, all of Jack's experiences beginning in Conspiracies onward will necessitate a serious rewriting of Nightworld, and one of the things I will be most interested to see is how The Ladies and the third cosmic player they represent will be worked into the story. I have enjoyed this element of the Mythos very much indeed and it is one of the myriad things which make one admire the seemingly inexhaustible invention Mr Wilson has shown in this remarkable series.
John_M   05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Herta's rottweiler is named Benno, I believe/
Wapitikev   05-03-2008, 06:42 PM
John_M Wrote:Herta's rottweiler is named Benno, I believe/

Thank you, John, and welcome to the board. You'll have fun here.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Libby   05-04-2008, 01:30 AM
John_M Wrote:Herta's rottweiler is named Benno, I believe/

Thanks! Welcome John!Smile Benno means son of the right hand, or fotunate. Is there more, do you know?

Bgerk0504   05-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Libby Wrote:I think that the ladies with dogs are similar to Gaia, or Mother Earth. Think about it, a small group of immortal women with dogs, animals that are "man's best friend". Any thoughts?

I totally agree with you! My dad and I just recently thought the same thing. They fit perfectly. I love the fact that it is always a different dog and race of woman each time... lol! By the way, you are really smart. I just read some of your posts and you are a good literature analyst. Do you have any other ideas?
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5