Barry Lee Dejasu   04-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I remember back in early March hearing that Chef Robert Irvine (the semi-bodybuilder whose ears put Mr. Rumbold from Are You Being Served to shame) was fired from the Food Network due to lying about his credentials (something along those lines, I don't remember the details). However, his show Dinner: Impossible is still on, commercials and lower-corner-blurbs and all.

Does anyone know what happened? Did Food Network settle with him, or are they just airing all of the new episodes filmed prior to his firing?

I'm just a little confused by his continuing presence.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
The Mad American   04-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:I remember back in early March hearing that Chef Robert Irvine (the semi-bodybuilder whose ears put Mr. Rumbold from Are You Being Served to shame) was fired from the Food Network due to lying about his credentials (something along those lines, I don't remember the details). However, his show Dinner: Impossible is still on, commercials and lower-corner-blurbs and all.

Does anyone know what happened? Did Food Network settle with him, or are they just airing all of the new episodes filmed prior to his firing?

I'm just a little confused by his continuing presence.

He actually wasn't fired, they just decided after finding the fluff in his resume to not renew his contract. So they are letting him finish out the current year and then he will not be back.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Barry Lee Dejasu   05-09-2008, 03:27 PM
It sure took me long enough to remember this thread and go back and check. Thanks for the info!

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
DogWoman   05-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:It sure took me long enough to remember this thread and go back and check. Thanks for the info!

What I didn't understand about that is that it would have been so easy to check. Are the people at Food Network that gullible?

The present state of the world is not the proof of philosophy’s impotence, but the proof of philosophy’s power. It is philosophy that has brought men to this state—it is only philosophy that can lead them out.

Ayn Rand, “For the New Intellectual,” For the New Intellectual, 50.
Barry Lee Dejasu   05-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Apparently - just look at the whole fiasco surrounding that "Jag" fellow from last year's Next Food Network Star; he faked his information about military service, and right after winning the title, he is disqualified and one of the other contestants won. All those weeks of being on the show and that happened. Food Network will definitely have to hire some better help for background checks from now on...

DogWoman   05-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Apparently - just look at the whole fiasco surrounding that "Jag" fellow from last year's Next Food Network Star; he faked his information about military service, and right after winning the title, he is disqualified and one of the other contestants won. All those weeks of being on the show and that happened. Food Network will definitely have to hire some better help for background checks from now on...

I hear they're going to be starting a new season of Next Food Network Star. I don't really see the point; the first seasons' guys were OK, but Guy Fieri making Houlihan's/TGI Friday's food? Blech. I really only watch Alton Brown and Iron Chef America these days. The day they hired Sandra Lee was the day the network decided it would suck.

The present state of the world is not the proof of philosophy’s impotence, but the proof of philosophy’s power. It is philosophy that has brought men to this state—it is only philosophy that can lead them out.

The Mad American   05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Apparently - just look at the whole fiasco surrounding that "Jag" fellow from last year's Next Food Network Star; he faked his information about military service, and right after winning the title, he is disqualified and one of the other contestants won. All those weeks of being on the show and that happened. Food Network will definitely have to hire some better help for background checks from now on...

It is pretty common not to do a thourough check on someones resume unless something raises a red flag. But I am betting that after these two fiasco's you mentioned that the Food Network have become pretty anal about checking every detail of resumes.

Wow, glad to know I am not the only Food Network geek....Big Grin

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

DogWoman   05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
The Mad American Wrote:It is pretty common not to do a thourough check on someones resume unless something raises a red flag. But I am betting that after these two fiasco's you mentioned that the Food Network have become pretty anal about checking every detail of resumes.

Wow, glad to know I am not the only Food Network geek....Big Grin

Haha--So I just googled Robert Irvine resume and came across this article. Man sounds like he's a compulsive liar and mean about it too! :crazy:

Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-12-2008, 12:26 PM
DogWoman Wrote:What I didn't understand about that is that it would have been so easy to check. Are the people at Food Network that gullible?

I'm not sure "gullible" is the word, DogWoman. I think people are pretty much honest about big things, and we assume other people are too.

Of course, we can be wrong. Yow, can we be wrong! But the fault is not ours.