Dirt Devil   06-29-2008, 04:13 AM
Hey all, just got done reading Secret Histories which was another great Jack book. Although Jack has not yet become the Repairman Jack we know today, some of his first fix-its are in this book. Great to get to meet the family again and what he does to his brother Tom over and over again is hilarious. You also get a great sense of where Jack gets the values that he will carry through his adult life from.

Although all of the books in this series always have major tie-ins to other books, this one seemed to foreshadow so much... but mostly I was thinking of one of my favorite scenes from crisscross where the Dormentalist church is planting the pillars... The cube relic is similar to what the columns were doing? There was also a human sacrifice which was similar. Did anyone else think this?

The big R makes an appearance towards the end, but I am curious as to who the new lodge leader will end up being? Is this a character that we will meet in the next 2 prequel books or is this someone we already know? Does this end up being one of the church leaders later? Do you think that this is the older hippy guy who "founded" the church whose name escapes me? Sounds like I need to read Criss-Cross again... That same guy who has the invisible yard?

Can't wait for By The Sword!
Dave F   06-29-2008, 06:11 AM
SPOILER

"The big R"

FPW pointed out that the big R would be too young to appear in the book (a mistake I also made Wink)

If you want to know more about the man who appears at the end, track down a copy of Aryans & Absinthe (at least I think that is who it is)

Cheers

Dave

The artist formally known as Britfan
mkmfpwfan   06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I too just finished the book, it was like stepping back into my childhood, it was so cool. Thanks FPW for giving me a little travel back in time. You did a great job with your first YA and I am truly looking forward to the next installment. Keri