Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Sigokat   04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
It's all irrelevant since I am hoping to become the Otherness' next weapon in the fight againt the Ally...and I will win!

Long live The Otherness!!

Ok the pain meds for my back must be getting to me...I wish I could answer these questions, but since I haven't started Infernal yet and I've only read The Keep in the AC I'm a little lost as well. Perhaps I will start Infernal when I finish up the book I'm on now.

Oh and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Otherness!!

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Wapitikev   04-06-2008, 03:29 PM
palsunstar Wrote:You mention "it may well have caused the death of his wife!"

Not having read the re-write of Nightworld, perhaps this has changed, but isn't Glaeken's wife still alive during Nightworld...albeit in late stages of alzheimers? IIRC during the novel, Glaeken checks on her several times.

I addition, congratulations for reading all the way to that point...I thought people would fall asleep way before then.Smile

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
RichE   04-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I've read the books but isn't there a Third Power that is using the women/dog tag team? And how powerful is it? It seems to me the tag team are pretty indp. of the two warring sides.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
NickelobLight Wrote:More spoilers, etc...

[spoiler]So basically you're saying that the Twin(s) were already the new Sentinel? That would mean that Glaeken was the Heir that whole time, (since they popped into existence, May 3rd, 1942). That's starting to make some sense then. Not sure where I missed that, but of course, I have been unable to procure Reborn, Reprisal, & Nightworld. Ditto with all of the short stories. I'm sure that's where I missed something.

So...what? When 'Molosar' died in The Keep, Glaeken went immediately from being the Sentinel to the Heir? Meh. That's kind of like a star quarterback retiring from a team and immediately becoming the new offensive coordinator. Can you imagine Favre calling plays next season in Green Bay? "The play is 'far-west-jet-slot, 200-right-delta-x-CHOICE!' Get it right or so help me I'll strap on a helmet and come in there myself next drive!!" But I digress.

So if you're right, and Glaeken is ticked off in a major way...oh wow. Not so good to be Jack, eh? So if he died, Jack would get Oculus eyes, too? I don't think he could go around being Mr. Everyman at that point, huh?[/spoiler]

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Do we have it right?

On May 3, 1942, the Nazi conquerers gave the order that Dutch Jews must wear the Star of David. Connection? (Hmmm...maybe I could work this up into an article for THE JOURNAL OF JACK STUDIES...)
Wapitikev   04-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:On May 3, 1942, the Nazi conquerers gave the order that Dutch Jews must wear the Star of David. Connection? (Hmmm...maybe I could work this up into an article for THE JOURNAL OF JACK STUDIES...)

I will not be provoked further! One post of 10,000 characters was enough!

Obsessive-compulsive 30-something amatuer philosophers with administration degrees need love too, ya know!

Heh.

-Wapitikev

PS - Isn't that the journal Bones' parents started, prior to their mysterious disappearance?

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
NickelobLight   04-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Hmmmm.

Remember, I mentioned that I haven't read Reborn or Reprisal. I have no clue what happened to Glaeken after The Keep, (until he started watching Jack).

I did read A Day in The Life today. Well done! I was quite entertained. The fix-it was great.

I'd talk more, but the Mariners are beating the hell out of my Rays. I'm too upset. Thanks for all the info...when I'm at work tomorrow I'll respond to what you had to say, ya'll.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken

Let not thy will roar when thy power can but whisper. -Dr. Thomas Fuller (1654-1734), Gnomologia, 1732

[Image: dfb17bf94b00b1e2eb_5.jpg] [Image: s_logo_tampa.gif]
NickelobLight   04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Wapitikev,

Your explanation makes a good deal of sense. I remember one of the dog-ladies, (I think in Harbingers maybe?), saying that the Ally is starting to think that this world isn't worth saving, (or words to that effect). I'm thinking it shows, and he's doing a halfa** job of trying to keep it.

"Eh? Huh? Oh...the Sentinels are dead. Whatever. Where's that one fella I had? He's how old? Aw, heck with it. He's my new Sentinel anyway. He knows the ropes. But he may die at any moment...hmmm. I know! That one squirrelly fella I've had my eye on can play second string. He seems to me to be a cheeky rascal, if ever there was one. Better have that old guy keep an eye on him."

I was raised with the belief that anything worth doing is worth doing well. Apparently the Ally never heard this before. Thank God Jack's watching over us, because it looks like the Ally's nursing a hangover.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken

Let not thy will roar when thy power can but whisper. -Dr. Thomas Fuller (1654-1734), Gnomologia, 1732

bones weep tedium   04-10-2008, 07:17 PM
NickelobLight Wrote:I'd talk more, but the Mariners are beating the hell out of my Rays. I'm too upset.

What devilment is this?? :eek: Does it sting or tickle?

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
NickelobLight   04-10-2008, 10:16 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:What devilment is this?? :eek: Does it sting or tickle?

Baseball. The sport that fills time between football seasons.

And it neither stings nor tickles. It's stabs. Like a red hot skewer right through my heart. I'm tired of rooting for a losing team. But I'd rather be a guy who's team sucks, then a bandwagon fan.

Wapitikev   04-11-2008, 12:59 AM
NickelobLight Wrote:"Eh? Huh? Oh...the Sentinels are dead. Whatever. Where's that one fella I had? He's how old? Aw, heck with it. He's my new Sentinel anyway. He knows the ropes. But he may die at any moment...hmmm. I know! That one squirrelly fella I've had my eye on can play second string. He seems to me to be a cheeky rascal, if ever there was one. Better have that old guy keep an eye on him."

I was raised with the belief that anything worth doing is worth doing well. Apparently the Ally never heard this before. Thank God Jack's watching over us, because it looks like the Ally's nursing a hangover.

Even in the Keep I got the impression that the Ally was an absentee landlord and Glaeken was doing all the work.

Here's a baseball simile for you. The attention that the Ally gives to Earth is like the attention that a ball player gives to an itch in his crotch during a game...he adjust's his cup and doesn't give it another thought...only when the itching persists or begins to burn does he actually start to pay attention.

That was the most vulgar baseball analogy that I could come up with on short notice.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5