Pages (3):    1 2 3   
ccosborne3   03-31-2008, 11:27 AM
DogWoman Wrote:I've been watching it. It is excellent and Paul Giamatti is wonderful. I love Laura Linney as Abigail also. Abigail was one hell of a woman.

The scene last night when they were reunited in Paris was very touching. Rare for two somewhat unattractive people to generate so much passion on screen. I didn't expect that at all.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-31-2008, 11:32 AM
franklin bwn
DogWoman Wrote:I think they're doing a compare and contrast with his and John Adams's characters. John is very serious and driven and Ben's more laid back. I think they're just emphasizing the difference.

Makes sense. But wouldn't it be cool to have a series, BEN FRANKLIN-THE FOUNDER WHO CHALLENGED LIGHTNING, with =Adams= as the foil?Big Grin
ccosborne3   03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
DogWoman Wrote:Franklin is funny, but he comes off as quite a jerk, IMO. He's all about the clever phrases and not much else. He was particularly annoying in the scenes in France.

I thought he redeemed himself a little last night. Having Adams removed from the negotiations with the French seemed a necessity.
ccosborne3   03-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:franklin bwn

Makes sense. But wouldn't it be cool to have a series, BEN FRANKLIN-THE FOUNDER WHO CHALLENGED LIGHTNING, with =Adams= as the foil?Big Grin

He definitely deserves a spin off show. He could be this generations Mork and Mindy. Smile
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
ccosborne3 Wrote:He definitely deserves a spin off show. He could be this generations Mork and Mindy. Smile

I'm not sure he could carry a show on his own, ccos. Maybe he could be Jay Leno's sidekick.
Schwinn160   03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
I love plugging my shows everywhere, and this sorta-relates. Ben Franklin was the subject of a recent Heroes graphic novel that hinted that he was a super-powered individual... Betcha he never even knew... Big Grin

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing."
Benjamin Franklin

I'm the original me©. Big Grin
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Schwinn160 Wrote:I love plugging my shows everywhere, and this sorta-relates. Ben Franklin was the subject of a recent Heroes graphic novel that hinted that he was a super-powered individual... Betcha he never even knew... Big Grin

Schwinn, I'm an old and antique hombre...remember so well the DANNY DUNN books. Seems the crew contrived a time machine that landed them in Dr. Franklin's yard just before the Revolution. And didn't he meet them that night with a lamp in one hand and a pistol in the other? "Explain yourselves, gentlemen!"

And they did explain, and all was well. Well, not =all=. How to get back to their own time? Electricity was needed... Danny, as always, had the answer. "Leyden jars in series!"

"But can you not tell me more of what is to come? How our new nation will fare?"
"Doctor, we cannot...I'm sure you understand why."
"Yes...my knowing may change what is your future, but is now the present..."
And naturally Danny chimed in:
"Doctor Franklin..."
"Yes, son?"
"Well, sir, remember this...we're from 200 years in the future. But we knew who you were!"
This post was last modified: 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Ken Valentine   03-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well, DogWoman--welcome aboard!--let's give Dr. Franklin his due. His scientific works were the first clue the Europeans had that the people of the New World were creating a civilization.

Franklin was also quite the opportunist. He was the one who suggested that Britain raise the tax on tea shipped to the Colonies -- which resulted in the Boston Tea Party.

He also encouraged the idea that Parliament had of doing away with gold and silver money in the Colonies and substituting paper scrip. Seems he was hoping to get the printing contract for himself.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   03-31-2008, 09:48 PM
DogWoman Wrote:Oh, I agree that the real Franklin was a good guy....the series just portrays him as annoying.

The real Franklin was out to get whatever he could for himself -- and devil take the hindmost.

Ken V.
jimbow8   04-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:The real Franklin was out to get whatever he could for himself -- and devil take the hindmost.

Ken V.

He was also quite the lady's man (womanizer, depending on your perspective, I guess), wasn't he?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (3):    1 2 3