Pages (2): 1 2   
Scott Miller   03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I'll admit right up front that I'm biased, been a Tom Petty and the Heatrtbreakers fan for more than 25 years, but I highly recommend the Peter Bogdanovich directed documentary Runnin Down A Dream chronicling the life and times of one of the most durable bands in history. Clocking in at four hours it may not be for everyone, but if you like Petty or classic rock there is plenty to savor. Using archival footage, we get to see how the Heartbreakers were formed and some of their earliest performances. The documentary then goes on to show the high and lows of the next thirty years culminating in a 30 year celebration concert(the entire concert is also part of the boxed set) held in his hometown in Gainesville, FL.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I'll admit right up front that I'm biased, been a Tom Petty and the Heatrtbreakers fan for more than 25 years, but I highly recommend the Peter Bogdanovich directed documentary Runnin Down A Dream chronicling the life and times of one of the most durable bands in history. Clocking in at four hours it may not be for everyone, but if you like Petty or classic rock there is plenty to savor. Using archival footage, we get to see how the Heartbreakers were formed and some of their earliest performances. The documentary then goes on to show the high and lows of the next thirty years culminating in a 30 year celebration concert(the entire concert is also part of the boxed set) held in his hometown in Gainesville, FL.

All right, Scott...you're a well-know rock and roll smarty...riddle me this...what song did Tom write with Bob Dylan?
Scott Miller   03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:All right, Scott...you're a well-know rock and roll smarty...riddle me this...what song did Tom write with Bob Dylan?

I assume you're not talking about The Wilbury's stuff and outside of them I don't know. The movie has about 15 minutes worth of footage from the Dylan/Heartbreakers tour(Tom had nothing but good things to say about their time together) and the formation of The Wilbury's.

And thanks for considering me a rock-n-roll smarty but I'm really only good at listening to it, I'm certainly no scholar.

Scott

Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I assume you're not talking about The Wilbury's stuff and outside of them I don't know. The movie has about 15 minutes worth of footage from the Dylan/Heartbreakers tour(Tom had nothing but good things to say about their time together) and the formation of The Wilbury's.

And thanks for considering me a rock-n-roll smarty but I'm really only good at listening to it, I'm certainly no scholar.

Well, the tune's called JAMMIN' ME, think it was on the OUT OF THE GREAT WIDE OPEN album. The track is bubbling and raucous and perculating, Stones' STICKY FINGERS style. Google it, Scott, and have a buncha fun.
Scott Miller   03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well, the tune's called JAMMIN' ME, think it was on the OUT OF THE GREAT WIDE OPEN album. The track is bubbling and raucous and perculating, Stones' STICKY FINGERS style. Google it, Scott, and have a buncha fun.

I should have known, Tom even mentiined it during the movie. By the way it is on the Let Me Up(I've Had Enough) album.
This post was last modified: 03-03-2008, 05:06 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I should have known, Tom even mentiined it during the movie. By the way it is on the Let Me Up(I've Had Enough album.

Good info, Scott. What did Tom say about the tune in the flick?
Scott Miller   03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Good info, Scott. What did Tom say about the tune in the flick?

Just that they wrote it(along with Mike Campbell) and another song that went on Bob's album.

Scott

Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Just that they wrote it(along with Mike Campbell) and another song that went on Bob's album.

Dadburnit, now you've stumped a Dylan scholar. Did the tune turn up on one of the Master's nondescript albums between EMPIRE BURLESQUE and the great OH MERCY? I hate to google rock stuff, but now I gotta, blast my wicked hide.

Awright, I found it: GOT MY MIND MADE UP on the KNOCKED OUT LOADED album. Which I don't recall at all... Well, it =was= a dry patch...

A SOI-DISANT "SCHOLAR" WOULD KNOW, YOU PRETENTIOUS, SELF-IMPORTANT POSEUR--DR. ROMA
This post was last modified: 03-03-2008, 05:22 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Scott Miller   03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Dadburnit, now you've stumped a Dylan scholar. Did the tune turn up on one of the Master's nondescript albums between EMPIRE BURLESQUE and the great OH MERCY? I hate to google rock stuff, but now I gotta, blast my wicked hide.

The only help I can offer is that it must have been around 1987-89.

Scott

Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:The only help I can offer is that it must have been around 1987-89.

Please see my previous post, Scott. Found it.
Pages (2): 1 2