Ken Valentine   07-30-2004, 01:38 AM
This is soooo funny.

http://www.sfu.ca/~mey/japanese.wmv

Enjoy,

Ken V.
Kenji   07-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:This is soooo funny.

http://www.sfu.ca/~mey/japanese.wmv

Enjoy,

Ken V.

This is confused me. Surely they are Japanese, they spoke Japanese, and they were talking about Japanese restaurant. But....I'm sorry, Ken. I don't understand why this is funny. Because of culture gap? or because of different sense of humor? :confused:

By the way, how did you find out this site? Big Grin
Richard Kendrick   07-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:This is confused me. Surely they are Japanese, they spoke Japanese, and they were talking about Japanese restaurant. But....I'm sorry, Ken. I don't understand why this is funny. Because of culture gap? or because of different sense of humor? :confused:

It's funny Kenji because they are implying that all the normal things that we associate with Japanese restaurants and or Japanese culture is actually nothing like Japanese culture, and that people outside of Japan don't know any better.

They are making fun of all the things they can get people to do -- like take off their shoes (when their feet stink after a long day), sit on the floor and eat with chop sticks.

Then, they imply that the Japanese really eat with cutlery and don't actually take their shoes off or sit on the floor -- we just think they do.

There's more but I'm explaining this badly. Hopefully you get the idea behind the humor.

RIK
Lisa   07-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Big Grin Big Grin That's hilarious, Ken. Thanks for the linky!

Lisa
Kenji   07-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:It's funny Kenji because they are implying that all the normal things that we associate with Japanese restaurants and or Japanese culture is actually nothing like Japanese culture, and that people outside of Japan don't know any better.

They are making fun of all the things they can get people to do -- like take off their shoes (when their feet stink after a long day), sit on the floor and eat with chop sticks.

Then, they imply that the Japanese really eat with cutlery and don't actually take their shoes off or sit on the floor -- we just think they do.

There's more but I'm explaining this badly. Hopefully you get the idea behind the humor.

RIK

I see, I understood what you said.........well, after all, cause of I don't get the idea, maybe cause of culture gap. Sometimes, between America and Japan, humor is different.

For example, in Japan, we have "Dotsuki-manzai". This is Japanese traditional stand-up comedy. We think they are funny, but maybe, American people think they are NOT funny. Because Dotuski-manzai is violent comedy. Most American people will frown.

If they(man and woman in film) are American, they speak Japanese language, and they talked about Japanese restaurant, I think it's funny. But even if Japanese people said like that, I'm not funny. This is my personal opinion.
Ken Valentine   07-31-2004, 02:07 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:This is confused me. Surely they are Japanese, they spoke Japanese, and they were talking about Japanese restaurant. But....I'm sorry, Ken. I don't understand why this is funny. Because of culture gap? or because of different sense of humor? :confused:

In effect, two verrry westernized Japanese ar poking fun at western people who want to experience traditional Japan in a restaurant. The implication is that traditional Japan is a myth, that they are fooling Australians, and having fun making them do all kinds of strange things that Japanese people never do.

Switch it around.

Imagine two Americans in traditional Japanese dress sitting on tatami in a restaurant and eating rice and other traditional Japanese food in the traditional Japanese way. Everything about the scene is traditional Japanese.

Imagine that they are laughing at Japanese people who go to their "American" restaurant in Japan, and sit on chairs eating "Western" food with a fork, knife, and spoon. They are laughing because they have fooled the Japanese into thinking that America is the opposite of what it actually is. But America really is exactly like traditional Japan, and always has been.

It's a joke about reversing cultures.

This site was posted on another board I'm on. The man who posted it is what you might call a Japanophile . . . an American who loves everything Japanese. He is also a student of Japanese sword fighting, and quite good at it from what I understand.

Ken V.
This post was last modified: 07-31-2004, 02:10 AM by Ken Valentine.