bones weep tedium   02-15-2008, 06:43 AM
TRAILER

M Night Shyamalan back on form?

I havent heard anything about this new movie, but it sure does look good. Cool

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Kenji   07-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Today I went to a theatre and I saw it. My thoughts?

In the movie's opening scene, two women are sitting on benches in the park. Suddenly somebody screamed. One woman heard that, and she asked "Did you hear that?" to friend. But her friend took her own hair stick and she.....

[SIZE="3"]Holy shit![/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]What the hell?[/SIZE]:eek6:

That's the beginning of "The Happening".

M Night Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense" was scary and very touching story. But "The Happening" is scary. This movie is not simply thriller. It's HORROR movie. Some scenes freaked me out. I don't say any spoilers to you. Because I CAN'T explain it. I still don't know what was going on.

Unseen terror. That's scary. We don't know how to fight it.
Sigokat   03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
SPOILERS

I had heard a lot of negative responses to this movie, however, as a fan of Shyamalan's other works, at least the ones I have seen (The Sixth Sense, The Village) I decided to give it a try last night.

Once again I feel that too many Americans are not open to different styles of story-telling...if its not something mainstream, then it cannot ever be a quality piece of work. I find this line of thinking to be both one-dimensional and appallingly ignorant.

The basic concepts behind the story that takes place in The Happening was somewhat intriguing to me. However, since I am not a palentologist (correct term?) I have no way to confirm or deny the validity of the statements made throughout the movie, i.e. that plants can and will release toxins when they feel threatened.

The acting throughout the movie was nothing spectacular which I found somewhat surprising with stars such as Mark Wahlberg and John Leguizamo (sp?). The slower pace of the film may have hindered its overall success with viewers, however even though I found my mind wandering a few times I was immediately drawn back to the film by Shyamalan's intense and in-your-face filmmaking. He did not hold back on any of the death scenes, with the exception of the girl that threw herself from the window while on the phone with her mother. However, I do believe most mainstream Hollywood directors are still afraid to show a gruesome on-screen death of a child for fear of public reaction. Shyamalan captured the true terror of the unknown in these scenes, especially through the emotional reactions of those witnessing the deaths prior to their own demises.

The scene towards the end of the film with the crazy old woman was quite chilling as well. Her sanity was obiviously in question from her first comment about the bell being for Clemen (sp?) She was waiting for someone or something's return that would never happen. Her quick and constant changes in her mood and demeanor led to the overall creepiness of the scene as well. I for one knew that if I was in Wahlberg's position I would have tried to hightail it out of that house at the first possible moment.

In my opinion, The Happening was not nearly as bad as people said it was. When one can view a film with an open mind and accept the possibility of something like this actually occurring, especially if the scientific aspects are true, then the story is not as unbeliavable as most state. Improbable? Yes. Impossible? Perhaps not. Also, if people can so easily suspend their disbelief for insane action sequences, that defy both logic and physics, from movies like The Transporter or XXX, then why was it so hard for them to do the same with a movie like The Happening?

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Silad   03-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I thought Marky Mark was pretty dire in this movie.

I loved him The Departed and The Shooter but he is very limited.

Not a great film.

He's still a good director but I think he probably needs to find someone else to write his stories.

Erm....I wonder who....:confused:
This post was last modified: 03-25-2009, 01:09 PM by Silad.
johntfs   04-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Quote:In my opinion, The Happening was not nearly as bad as people said it was. When one can view a film with an open mind and accept the possibility of something like this actually occurring, especially if the scientific aspects are true, then the story is not as unbeliavable as most state. Improbable? Yes. Impossible? Perhaps not. Also, if people can so easily suspend their disbelief for insane action sequences, that defy both logic and physics, from movies like The Transporter or XXX, then why was it so hard for them to do the same with a movie like The Happening?

Because those movies are at least entertaining.