JF1ID   07-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Greetings, everyone... I've been a quiet lurker on this site for a while, & have to say I love it! I especially get a charge out of the fact that The Man himself is in here a bunch, too... Anyhow, I'd like to share some of my earliest experiences with the works of FPW, so without further ado...(Sherman, set the wayback machine) The year is 1983, late summer, somewhere on the east coast- enter our young protagonist (yers truly @ 13-14 yrs of age, brown-haired, brown-eyed, with teeth not as straight as they could have been) Rolleyes in the home of an aunt & uncle, who notices a paperback titled The Keep sitting on a table. He picks it up after seeing the cool embossed cover with all the crosses on it (strangely compelling to our young Catholic) and casually flips thru the pages until he finds a passage describing zombie Nazis killing living Nazis (how cool is that) & is immediately hooked. Asking to borrow said novel, our hero tears thru it in two days. It scares the living shit out of him. He loves it! A fan is born...

Fast forward to Febuary, '85 - our hero, now a punk 15 yr old, trying to find a birthday present for his dear ol' dad whilst on a mission to buy smokes for the aforementioned old man...(ahh, da misspent days of my youth, when kids could buy cancer sticks for parents/guardians/themselves) is wandering around the smoke/magazine/racing form stand in vain. About to lose hope, our hero catches a glimpse of a paperback on a nearby rack that looks vaguely familiar, down to the weird looking gothic lettering of the title & authors' name... it even has a cool embossed cover of some sort of temple or something similar on the front. Intrigued by its title, The Tomb , he flips through, until he realizes its an FPW novel! Hot damn! Our protagonist quickly pays for his stuff and makes a hasty retreat onto the street, all the while thinking he'll give the book to the old man as the obligatory birthday present, but plotting to steal it back and read it himself. He does just that, and his life is changed. Finally, our young man has found a hero that he can look up to- an everyman that can get knocked around but still kick the bad guys' collective asses. His father is eventually persuaded to read it, and he too loves it, even commenting that it would be a great movie with Harrison Ford playing Jack (hey, it was 1985, he not only looked younger, he was younger). Years pass but our hero still rereads The Tomb from time to time, all the while hoping desperately for more...

Skip ahead to the late 90"s- our young man, after a few years in the army, has now been an archaeologist for some time (glorified ditch digger). Travelling around the country, working on various projects, he has from time to time recommended The Tomb to a few pals he thinks will appreciate it. (RJ is like a part of himself, something to be closely guarded). While working on a dig in another state,(United, not altered) Rolleyes our hero strolls into a local bookstore and searches for something to read. Suddenly, he sees something in horror fiction, and backpedals from the shelf. Not in disgust, but unbelievable shock! A book titled Legacies! Jack's back! Our hero is overjoyed... Big Grin <--(crooked smile)

Thanks everyone for giving me the space to ramble, and thank you FPW, for giving us all a really special series of books and a truly amazing group of characters... (by the way I still have both original paperback copies of The Keep & The Tomb , albeit torn to hell and held together with scotch tape and sheer willpower- never did manage to return 'em to their original owners/ recipients) Rolleyes Gah, I almost forgot- I'd like to hear anyone elses' recollections of their first encounters with RJ, and what these books/characters mean to you.
Animagess   07-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey, welcome to zee boards. I occasionally pop in and out to offer tidbits of opinion and sometimes an artistic blurt. Feel free to use the RJ wallpaper- it's probably in the thread of the same name, a couple pages back, no doubt.

My first FPW book was Masque. I picked it up from the libary, but it's long gone; stolen or misplaced, I'm not sure. I read it over and over until it disappeared. I've never seen it to this day...

Then I read Hosts next, unaware, probably, that is was an FPW book. You can guess what happened next... Now I am on a mission to read them all (no matter how embarassingly out of order!).

I'm currently reading Enemy of the State, and waiting for my library to pick up Crisscross. I still miss Masque. But someday, we'll meet again...

"You gotta tell everyone, Hatcher! Soylent green is PEOPLE!!"

My witty similes will spread across the world like creamy peanut butter.
Biggles   07-29-2004, 10:52 PM
JF1ID Wrote:Greetings, everyone... I've been a quiet lurker on this site for a while, & have to say I love it! I especially get a charge out of the fact that The Man himself is in here a bunch, too... Anyhow, I'd like to share some of my earliest experiences with the works of FPW, so without further ado...(Sherman, set the wayback machine) The year is 1983, late summer, somewhere on the east coast- enter our young protagonist (yers truly @ 13-14 yrs of age, brown-haired, brown-eyed, with teeth not as straight as they could have been) Rolleyes in the home of an aunt & uncle, who notices a paperback titled The Keep sitting on a table. He picks it up after seeing the cool embossed cover with all the crosses on it (strangely compelling to our young Catholic) and casually flips thru the pages until he finds a passage describing zombie Nazis killing living Nazis (how cool is that) & is immediately hooked. Asking to borrow said novel, our hero tears thru it in two days. It scares the living shit out of him. He loves it! A fan is born...

Fast forward to Febuary, '85 - our hero, now a punk 15 yr old, trying to find a birthday present for his dear ol' dad whilst on a mission to buy smokes for the aforementioned old man...(ahh, da misspent days of my youth, when kids could buy cancer sticks for parents/guardians/themselves) is wandering around the smoke/magazine/racing form stand in vain. About to lose hope, our hero catches a glimpse of a paperback on a nearby rack that looks vaguely familiar, down to the weird looking gothic lettering of the title & authors' name... it even has a cool embossed cover of some sort of temple or something similar on the front. Intrigued by its title, The Tomb , he flips through, until he realizes its an FPW novel! Hot damn! Our protagonist quickly pays for his stuff and makes a hasty retreat onto the street, all the while thinking he'll give the book to the old man as the obligatory birthday present, but plotting to steal it back and read it himself. He does just that, and his life is changed. Finally, our young man has found a hero that he can look up to- an everyman that can get knocked around but still kick the bad guys' collective asses. His father is eventually persuaded to read it, and he too loves it, even commenting that it would be a great movie with Harrison Ford playing Jack (hey, it was 1985, he not only looked younger, he was younger). Years pass but our hero still rereads The Tomb from time to time, all the while hoping desperately for more...

Skip ahead to the late 90"s- our young man, after a few years in the army, has now been an archaeologist for some time (glorified ditch digger). Travelling around the country, working on various projects, he has from time to time recommended The Tomb to a few pals he thinks will appreciate it. (RJ is like a part of himself, something to be closely guarded). While working on a dig in another state,(United, not altered) Rolleyes our hero strolls into a local bookstore and searches for something to read. Suddenly, he sees something in horror fiction, and backpedals from the shelf. Not in disgust, but unbelievable shock! A book titled Legacies! Jack's back! Our hero is overjoyed... Big Grin <--(crooked smile)

Thanks everyone for giving me the space to ramble, and thank you FPW, for giving us all a really special series of books and a truly amazing group of characters... (by the way I still have both original paperback copies of The Keep & The Tomb , albeit torn to hell and held together with scotch tape and sheer willpower- never did manage to return 'em to their original owners/ recipients) Rolleyes Gah, I almost forgot- I'd like to hear anyone elses' recollections of their first encounters with RJ, and what these books/characters mean to you.

My first FPW book was also The Keep in paperback. It is a good place to start.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Kenji   07-30-2004, 08:36 AM
JF1ID Wrote:I'd like to hear anyone elses' recollections of their first encounters with RJ, and what these books/characters mean to you.

Welcome to board, JF1ID.

My first encounters with RJ was The Tomb. It was coincidence. But I remember that day. When I walked around in book stores, I saw the book cover. Yellow eyes, Eight fangs, three talons...the monster was attempting to attack to woman who had necklace. It was Japanese edition's The Tomb, and catch phrase is....

闇にうごめく----!
鋭い牙と鍵爪を持つ、この世のものならぬ魔物[ラコシ]! 愛する少女をとりもどすため、ジャックは身を捨てて死地に赴いた・・・。

It is squirming in darkness---!
It has pointed fangs and sharp talons, unearthly demon [Rakoshi]!
For the attempt to take back beloved girl, Jack goes into the jaws of death....

Of course, immediately I bought it. Big Grin
This post was last modified: 07-30-2004, 08:40 AM by Kenji.
Scott Hajek   07-30-2004, 10:41 AM
My first was "Soft and Others." I'm was typically not a fan of short fiction but this book called to me. My first novel was "Black Wind." The rest they say is "an obsession."

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Hung By The Neck Til Dead   07-30-2004, 10:43 PM
As I have stated ealrier it was a "stripped" version of The Tomb when I was working for Sears that was with a bunch of books in the "employee library" after Sears stopped selling books. I was committed to Jack after that and when I saw in a library that there was more Jack books out I started to collect then. Then I heard about this website and found out there was a whole "universe" of Jack out there and collected as many books as I could. But it all started for me with The Tomb cause I wanted to KNOW if Jack survived his night saving Vickie.