RichE   02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
As a favor to a friend I had just burned a dvd copy off laserdisc of one of my favorite Sherlock Holmes films-"STUDY IN TERROR" (where Holmes ends up on the trail of Jack The Ripper). I thought we can all have some fun naming our favorite Holme's tales (and other detectives) in print and on screen.
RichE   02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Many have read "The Seven-Per-cent Solution" by Nicholas Meyer but has anyone read his excellent "The Canary Trainer"? This is a direct sequel and tells of the true story behind "The Phantom Of The Opera".
Excellent!!
Sigokat   02-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Jeremy Brett was the greatest actor to portray Holmes in television or film.

It was a great lose when he died.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
RichE   02-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Your right Sig. As much as I love Basil Rathbone and Peter Cushing I loved Brett. By the way, until Brett came along many thought John Neville (STUDY IN TERROR) was the best.
DaveStrorm   02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
RichE Wrote:Many have read "The Seven-Per-cent Solution" by Nicholas Meyer but has anyone read his excellent "The Canary Trainer"? This is a direct sequel and tells of the true story behind "The Phantom Of The Opera".
Excellent!!

Read them both along with "The West End Horror" and would recommend them all. I wish he'd written more of them.
RichE   02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
There is of course an OP Ellery Queen novel tie/in to "STUDY IN TERROR" where Queen is given an undiscovered Watson manuscript. The story goes forward and backward in time as Ellery Queen discover's Watson's conclusion's were wrong and he misquoted Holmes.

Another great series is the Jules de Grandin series, released in a series of paperbacks by Popular Library. The character was a French ex-police officer who comes to live in Harrisonville,NJ (like Arkham-full of otherness) and stay at the home of his friend, Dr. Samuel Trowbridge. The various stories, originally published in WEIRD TALES, follow their exploits in the world of the supernatural/scifi.
Flinx   02-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Grew up watching Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. Of course, as others have said, Jeremy Brett was fantastic.
Then there is Ian Richardson in Murder Rooms: The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes

One of my favourite Holmes movies is Without A Clue. A comedy with Michael Caine & Ben Kingsley.

For the novels, besides a 2 volume omnibus set of Doyle's stories I've also got a number of pastiches written by other authors.

Carole Nelson DOUGLAS
Irene Adler
1 - Good Night, Mr. Holmes
2 - Good Morning, Irene aka The Adventuress
3 - Irene At Large
4 - Irene's Last Waltz aka Another Scandal In Bohemia
5 - Chapel Noir
6 - Castle Rouge
7 - Femme Fatale
8 - Spider Dance

Philip José FARMER
The Adventure Of The Peerless Peer

Michael HARDWICK
The Revenge Of The Hound

Stephen KENDRICK
Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure In Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown

Laurie R. KING
Mary Russell
1 - The Beekeeper's Apprentice
2 - A Monstrous Regiment Of Women
3 - A Letter Of Mary
4 - The Moor
5 - O Jerusalem
6 - Justice Hall
7 - The Game
8 - Locked Rooms
Kate Martinelli
5 - The Art Of Detection

Larry MILLETT
From The Chronicles Of John H. Watson, M.D.
1 - Sherlock Holmes And The Red Demon
2 - Sherlock Holmes And The Ice Palace Murders
3 - Sherlock Holmes And The Rune Stone Mystery
4 - Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Alliance
5 - The Disappearance Of Sherlock Holmes

David PIRIE
The Dark Beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes
1 - The Patient's Eyes

Nick RENNISON
Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography

Mike RESNICK & Martin H. GREENBERG, editors
Sherlock Holmes In Orbit

Fred SABERHAGEN
Dracula
2 - The Holmes-Dracula Files

Cay VAN ASH
Fu Manchu
1 - Ten Years Beyond Baker Street

Gary LOVISI
Sherlock Holmes: The Great Detective In Paperback
This post was last modified: 02-11-2008, 08:59 AM by Flinx.
RichE   02-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Don't forget
SHERLOCK HOLMES vs DRACULA or THE ADVENTURES OF THE SANGUINARY COUNT by Loren D. ESTLEMAN

SERLOCK HOLMES OF BAKER STREET
A Life OFThe World's First Consulting Detective
William S. Baring-Gould

HOLMES FOR THE HOLIDAYS
Anne Perry, Loren D. Estleman, Carole Nelson, Douglas Reginald Hill.

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
Martin Harry Greenberg and Carol-Lynn Rossel Waugh

FLIGHT OF THE UMBRELLA
Marvin Kaye