Pages (3):    1 2 3
Libby   05-10-2008, 02:43 PM
lexator222 Wrote:Well, I just thought that she was trying to be "Reborn" in the same manner as Rasalom had done!

Lexator

I haven't read Reborn yet. It sounds good. Just one thing, most little girls, even ghosts, do not have the power to be reborn.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Wapitikev   05-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Libby Wrote:I haven't read Reborn yet. It sounds good. Just one thing, most little girls, even ghosts, do not have the power to be reborn.

Rasalom was not an external entity (as far as we are told in the book) that had awareness and appeared visually. The only reason that we know its Rasalom is through the presence of Glaeken and the dreams that the mother has.

Since the situations were completely dissimilar, I didn't get that she was trying to be reborn...her stated reasons of killing the child so she could have a ghost-child to play with, rung true.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Silverfish   05-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Just noticed something in my re-read of The Haunted Air:

Wednesday, Chapter 3
"Lyle gripped [Melba's] hand and stifled a gasp as a whirlwind of sensations blew through him - a brief period of anger, then sadness, then lonliness, all dragging along for a year and a half, maybe more, but certainly less than two, and then darkness - hungry darkness that gobbled up Melba and everything around her.

He dropped her hand quickly, as if he'd received a shock. Was that Melba's future? Was that all she had left? Less than two years?

'Good-bye' he said and backed away."

Soooo......
Libby: Ahhh. So she must have been brought back by the Ally to kill Gia. Remember, "A spear has no branches"...
Paul:By that I meant that the revelations in Harbingers [spoiler]about the Ally's "spear" agenda [/spoiler]would give you a clue. [spoiler]It was natural to assume that the Otherness sent her, but that was deliberate misdirection.[/spoiler] I long ago decided not to explain everything...that readers would have to make some connections and deductions on their own. You guys have done well analyzing the true dynamics of this particular situation.

So that means the Ally knows that the grand confrontation is only less that 2 years away. I had always assumed Tara was sent by the Otherness, and it makes sense that it would know its own agenda and its schedule for the end of the world.

This tells us that the Ally knows the schedule too. I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

Thoughts?

Stephanie
This post was last modified: 05-18-2008, 12:16 PM by Silverfish.

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
Libby   05-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Silverfish Wrote:Just noticed something in my re-read of The Haunted Air:

Wednesday, Chapter 3
"Lyle gripped [Melba's] hand and stifled a gasp as a whirlwind of sensations blew through him - a brief period of anger, then sadness, then lonliness, all dragging along for a year and a half, maybe more, but certainly less than two, and then darkness - hungry darkness that gobbled up Melba and everything around her.

He dropped her hand quickly, as if he'd received a shock. Was that Melba's future? Was that all she had left? Less than two years?

'Good-bye' he said and backed away."

Soooo......
Libby: Ahhh. So she must have been brought back by the Ally to kill Gia. Remember, "A spear has no branches"...
Paul:By that I meant that the revelations in Harbingers [spoiler]about the Ally's "spear" agenda [/spoiler]would give you a clue. [spoiler]It was natural to assume that the Otherness sent her, but that was deliberate misdirection.[/spoiler] I long ago decided not to explain everything...that readers would have to make some connections and deductions on their own. You guys have done well analyzing the true dynamics of this particular situation.

So that means the Ally knows that the grand confrontation is only less that 2 years away. I had always assumed Tara was sent by the Otherness, and it makes sense that it would know its own agenda and its schedule for the end of the world.

This tells us that the Ally knows the schedule too. I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

Thoughts?

Stephanie

I have this sudden theory; I haven't read Reprisal yet but

SPOILER FOR (MAYBE)
REPRISAL AND HAUNTED AIR

I am pretty sure Eli's cult was an agent of the otherness, and it was the one in Reprisal. Tara was killed by Eli, and in effect by the otherness. Lyle got his power from Tara, who was killed by the otherness and brought back by the Ally, making her able to tune in with both. Since Lyle got his power from her blood, he will be able to see the future as both the Ally and the Otherness know it. I just got this great thought: remember Jack being blurry??? Neither the Ally nor the Otherness know what is going to happen with him!! So Lyle sees him as blurry!

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Wapitikev   05-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Libby Wrote:I have this sudden theory; I haven't read Reprisal yet but

SPOILER FOR (MAYBE)
REPRISAL AND HAUNTED AIR

I am pretty sure Eli's cult was an agent of the otherness, and it was the one in Reprisal. Tara was killed by Eli, and in effect by the otherness. Lyle got his power from Tara, who was killed by the otherness and brought back by the Ally, making her able to tune in with both. Since Lyle got his power from her blood, he will be able to see the future as both the Ally and the Otherness know it. I just got this great thought: remember Jack being blurry??? Neither the Ally nor the Otherness know what is going to happen with him!! So Lyle sees him as blurry!

I sense a(nother) congratulation from FPW in your near future, Libby.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Libby   05-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:I sense a(nother) congratulation from FPW in your near future, Libby.

-Wapitikev

Thank you.Smile I appreciate it very much!

Silverfish   05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
***SPOILERS*** Haunted Air Reprisal?

Ahh, see, I haven't read the AC yet, so I haven't made these conections. So you think Lyle would be chanelling both the Otherness and the Ally?

Are you sure that wouldn't make him insane or suicidal? He seems like he is handling his new powers very well. That indicated that there isn't any turmoil or internal stuggle going on inside him (for control, or to turn him to one side or the other).

I get the Jack-is-blurry thing because he is an "unknown" to both parties. I wouldn't expect him to be any other way.

I've never seen any indication that the Ally would know the Otherness' schedule though. It kind of struck me as odd that it would still be pruning its spear instead of using it, at this point in time, knowing that Nightworld is less that two years away. But I guess it has the Yenicari, so it is not really worried?

Hmmm...

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Silverfish Wrote:***SPOILERS*** Haunted Air Reprisal?

Ahh, see, I haven't read the AC yet, so I haven't made these conections. So you think Lyle would be chanelling both the Otherness and the Ally?

Are you sure that wouldn't make him insane or suicidal? He seems like he is handling his new powers very well. That indicated that there isn't any turmoil or internal stuggle going on inside him (for control, or to turn him to one side or the other).

I get the Jack-is-blurry thing because he is an "unknown" to both parties. I wouldn't expect him to be any other way.

I've never seen any indication that the Ally would know the Otherness' schedule though. It kind of struck me as odd that it would still be pruning its spear instead of using it, at this point in time, knowing that Nightworld is less that two years away. But I guess it has the Yenicari, so it is not really worried?

Hmmm...

Stephanie

Remember, Stephanie, that our little blue world occupies =very= little of the cosmic forces' attention. They might give the nudge, but it's humans' free-will that decides events.
Pages (3):    1 2 3