Pages (3):    1 2 3
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Does that make a difference? Why even ask them that question?

Someone mentioned earlier in thread that someone involved with making the movie made some comment or other, but it was all quite vague .... and inconsequential, imo, for stated reasons.

I just like to ask questions, Jim. A grave fault, no doubt.
RichE   11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
RichE Wrote:I did see the other film too but its amazing that the military command were portrayed as cold blooded fumblers. For example-why weren't British officers put on a command level at least over the US troops-as it would be under international law as a joint command (and this was a NATO mission). Why wasn't the wife put under heavy secure guard if brought into a safe area hospital with no access except medical supervision(that is standard procedure) with medical personnel in command?
There were many other holes but I personally saw that there was a strong hostile bent.
I would like to hear from anyone else who saw the film for their input.

This just serves as how the US Army was shown as. Also, in real life the civies wouldn't be sent back into this situation so soon (I'd say a year-maybe more) as not only would you have cholera raging about but a very large rat infestation that would explode.
Sigokat   11-28-2007, 02:56 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Funny how the bad guys in Raiders "just so happened" to be Nazis ... and a Frenchman. Funny how the bad guys in The Siege "just so happened" to be Muslims. How the bad guy in The Tomb "just so happened" to be Indian or how the bad guy in Gateways "just so happened" to be a black woman. Would you have been complaining if the soldiers had "just so happened" to be French soldiers?

The point being you can find an example of any type of "bias" you want if you look for it.

This is a mountain being made of a molehill.

The bad woman in "Gateways" was black? Really? I didn't get that impression at all (unless it was stated in the book and I overlooked it). I thought she was white.

Anyways...I watched this movie last night and i have no idea what the hell people on here are talking about as far as the US military being painted in a bad light. They went in there to oversee the reconstruction of the country, but of course the virus came back...got loose...blah blah blah...if it hadn't there wouldn't have been a movie, now would there?? If anything the plotholes that have already been pointed out were the worst part of this movie, not the US Army failing to contain the virus.

Besides the Delta guy and the MS Major were trying to save the kids, remember?

And like Bones said, in the first film the British soldiers at the end of that movie were far worse then any of the American troops in the second film.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Oblivion   11-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't really see the anti-American aspect to this. From the original story, Great Britain was badly messed up by the virus. At the conclusion of the original, we see that the remaining British military was cut off, isolated, and had no apparent upper command left. Going to the US to help clean up a mess of that magnitude just makes sense to me (especially if it's primarily the politicians left), so it's no surprise that US forces are commanding the area. The British forces probably lacked the manpower.

The US commanders in the movie did make some stupid mistakes. No guards on the trailer with the infected woman. Civilian access to those kind of sensitive areas. No guards at the doors in the safe zones to prevent any infected from entering. Poor placement and reinforcement of safe zones. In my opinion though, this is an instance of Genre Blindness. Better ideas are readily apparent to those of us who have watched a lot of zombie movies, but not necessarily to the people who are in one. Smile
RichE   11-29-2007, 04:12 PM
But it stands to reason that a lot of the British military could have been out of the British Isles by being stationed elsewhere. They would be running the show.
Kenji   01-20-2008, 06:29 AM
RichE Wrote:As Dennis Miller said "ITS ONLY A F..KING MOVIE!" when a bunch of French protesters used it as a basis for their stand.
I watched the film on http://www.TV-links.co.UK and boy, are we ever painted in a bad light! The question I put forth here is "Does a film like this is propaganda that only the fringe takes seriously or does a film like this slants the general overseas public with their view of Americans and our military?

I checked that link, but the message appeared. "Something here Soon". :confused:
RichE   01-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Kenji Wrote:I checked that link, but the message appeared. "Something here Soon". :confused:

It's down for the moment-keep checking it out!
Pages (3):    1 2 3