ccosborne3   01-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I've never seen a film's distribution butchered as badly as this ones has been. According to the website it's been released yet it's not playing anywhere in the entire state of RI. It's annoying.
Maggers   01-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Daniel Day Lewis will walk away with the Oscar. He'll get deserved competition from Johnny Depp, but the difference between the two is that Day Lewis IS the movie. He is the sole reason to see THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Oddly enough, he reminded me of John Huston. I think because the voice he chose for his character sounded a lot like Huston.

Ciaran Hinds is in the film in a what amounts to throw away role. I love that man (he played Caesar in HBO's ROME). But here he stands around and nods. Why did he take that role? Frankly, no one else in the movie mattered, except Paul Dano who plays a young preacher at odds with Lewis' character. I didn't care for his performance.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD is a flawed film but worth seeing. It's long and it drags. My own thoughts intruded far too often. But Daniel Day Lewis, like the oil he knows and loves so well, is a force of nature.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

ccosborne3   01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Maggers Wrote:Daniel Day Lewis will walk away with the Oscar. He'll get deserved competition from Johnny Depp, but the difference between the two is that Day Lewis IS the movie. He is the sole reason to see THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Oddly enough, he reminded me of John Huston. I think because the voice he chose for his character sounded a lot like Huston.

Ciaran Hinds is in the film in a what amounts to throw away role. I love that man (he played Caesar in HBO's ROME). But here he stands around and nods. Why did he take that role? Frankly, no one else in the movie mattered, except Paul Dano who plays a young preacher at odds with Lewis' character. I didn't care for his performance.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD is a flawed film but worth seeing. It's long and it drags. My own thoughts intruded far too often. But Daniel Day Lewis, like the oil he knows and loves so well, is a force of nature.

Caught it today at the early matinee. Finally. I thought the kid that played Eli was great. The scene in his 1st church was uber-creepy. Loved that shot of him standing there with the little cracks of light coming through the wallboards. D-Day was great as always. I wish he'd work a little more often. I thought he should of snagged another Oscar for Gangs of New York. Hopefully he makes up for it here. I think NCFOM will snag Best Picture.
ccosborne3   01-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Maggers Wrote:Ciaran Hinds is in the film in a what amounts to throw away role. I love that man (he played Caesar in HBO's ROME).

I saw every episode of the show twice and never even recognized him. :eek:
IrishKKC   02-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I just saw this movie and when Daniel Day Lewis is screaming "I ABANDONED MY CHILD!" I got goosebumps. In my opinion he is the greatest actor I have ever seen and I agree he should've won for Gangs Of New York. The only reason I saw There Will Be Blood was because he was in it and I will see any movie he makes. If he doesn't win the oscar for this than its a travesty.
Kenji   04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Today I saw "There Will be Blood" in a theatre.

Daniel Day Lewis's acting were amazed me. He's terrific. I couldn't take my eyes off his acting. I didn't feel I was sitting 160 min in a theatre.

I thought this is the serious story. But sometimes Daniel Plainview made me chuckle. After he screamed "I ABANDONED MY CHILD!", he murmured "Pipeline". That was hilarious. What a greedy guy! Big Grin

And, especially at the last scene, [spoiler]Daniel and Eli fought and Daniel killed Eli, then Daniel said "It's finished". And the movie truly ended. That sudden ending seemed like "No country for old men".[/spoiler] I liked that!