Maggers   12-28-2007, 01:41 AM
OH MY!

Spoiler warning (just to be safe).....

What a black hearted musical. Surely SWEENEY TODD is the darkest piece of musical theater, ever. Certainly it's the darkest that I've ever seen. For those of you who enjoy your gore, this is a movie for you. For those of you who enjoy Johnny Depp (and who doesn't), this is a movie for you. For those of you who are Sondheim fans, this is a movie for you. And most of all, for those of you who love Tim Burton, this is THE movie for you.

There are a few short stretches that drag. They happen when Depp and Bonham Carter are not on screen. I was spellbound by Johnny Depp, even more than I usually am. Sasha Baron Cohen has a juicy part that's right up his alley, including his costume with bulges in appropriate places.

The look of the film is fantastic, contradictorily lush yet sublimely dark and dreary. It evokes the nastiest, bleakest, most foul aspects of 19th century London. While no one in the film has the voice of a true singer, they all sing well enough, and Depp, in particular, does a fine job. Keep in mind this is a musical first and foremost. Frequently everyone bursts into song, which can be disconcerting. But Burton handles it well. Sondheim's cynical, dense, intelligent lyrics are given their due, and with his unique musical pacing, Songheim's songs come at you fast and furious.

I grimaced and gagged in more than a few places. I suspect I may have nightmares about the ending.

I am not a big Tim Burton fan, but I liked SWEENEY TODD. He and Depp have created another grim, macabre masterpiece.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Weatherford   12-28-2007, 10:04 AM
I saw Sweeney Todd on Broadway while it was still in preview stages - dark, yup, but amazing musical... I don't think ANYONE can out do Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou - although, I will probably see the movie when I can Wink

Sondheim is an amazing composer/lyricist. His work will last forever, although, it may be more considered opera than musical. His music is dense and difficult, yet still listenable. I am surprise these "non-singers" were able to do it and do it well!

Tim Burton is the right director for the movie... However, if you ever get a chance to see it staged - well, it's magic!

Wink
RichE   12-28-2007, 10:44 AM
I enjoyed it. Like I said elsewhere, to see Johnny Depp made up to look exac. like Dave Vanian (lead singer of "THE DAMNED") is alone worth the price!
saynomore   12-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street is possibly the only movie I've seen thus far that can give No Country for Old Men a run for its money at the Oscars.

In the theater I saw The Grand Guignol version with Angela Lansbury and the bloodless version with Kelsey Grammar and Christine Baranski (who steals the show). I agree that one should see the theatrical version to appreciate what Tim Burton has done with the work (and undone--some songs and scenes are missing), but the story is still there, and yes, The Grand Guignol is there as well for the gore-hounds (howl). See it for the gore. See it for the story. See it for the acting. But see it.

AC

P.S. See you at the Academy Awards. My vote's on Sweeney.

P.P.S. I believe the Angela Lansbury version is available on dvd for those who may want to see the theatrical version before seeing the Burton movie.
Maggers   12-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Oscars, indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if Johnny walked home with one.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

XiaoYu   12-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Just saw this last night. Awesome! Dark humor and tragedy and Johnny Depp!

I really liked the opening animation. I always wonder how long those things take to make.

Mrs. Lovett and her meat pies reminded me of a particular lady innkeeper (nicknamed "She-Yaksha") in a classical Chinese novel who used customers in her meat dumplings. I also couldn't help thinking about the end of The Mist at the end of this movie. I think Sweeny Todd had it better.

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
Kenji   01-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Today I saw SWEENEY TODD.

Dark, funny, dramatic, sadistic, and sad. Yes, I really enjoyed it. This is definitely Johnny Depp and Tim Burton's movie. Songs by Johnny Depp were surprisingly terrific!

Sacha Baron Cohen?! Borat!? I didn't realize he played Pirelli!!! Big Grin