Maggers   12-22-2007, 11:40 PM
I enjoyed CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR. It's a solidly OK movie. The performances of Tom Hanks and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are excellent and deserving of award nominations. But Julia Roberts was off; she can't hold on to a Southern accent to save her life, or a role. I found her a distraction. I didn't see her character, rather I just saw Julia Roberts trying to play a Southern woman.

The screenplay is terrific, intelligent, funny, and dense. It's the kind of script that sometimes requires a rewind to be sure you got everything that was said. There is a lot to follow. So, for that reason, you could wait until it comes to DVD.

According to the History channel show on Charlie Wilson that I'm watching at the moment, the movie is quite true to life. It's a fascinating story.

All in all, CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR is decidedly worth watching. But it's a movie that might best be viewed on the small screen so you can rewind when necessary.
This post was last modified: 12-23-2007, 07:50 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   12-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Maggers Wrote:I enjoyed CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR. It's a solidly OK movie. The performances of Tom Hanks and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are excellent and deserving of award nominations. But Julia Roberts was off; she can't hold on to a Southern accent to save her life, or to a role. I found her a distraction. I didn't see her character, rather I just saw Julia Roberts trying to play a Southern woman.

This . . . is . . . funny!

Did you know that Julia Roberts was born and raised in Georgia? Wink

Ken V.
Maggers   12-23-2007, 03:28 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:This . . . is . . . funny!

Did you know that Julia Roberts was born and raised in Georgia? Wink

Ken V.

I thought she was a Southern gal, but she couldn't hold on to the Texas accent for an entire sentence. Just could not.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   12-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Maggers Wrote:I thought she was a Southern gal, but she couldn't hold on to the Texas accent for an entire sentence. Just could not.

Well, there are a lot of different accents in Texas, it's a pretty big place. Then again, maybe she just can't do accents. She wouldn't be alone in that.

As an aside, on New Years day in 1994, I was invited to attend an open-house celebration by a friend, and one of the other guests was a young woman of Japanese ancestry who spoke with a deep Texas drawl. Talk about culture shock -- I certainly had one that day. Big Grin

Ken V.
Noelie   12-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I really want to see this as I'm a HUGE Sorkin fan. But I'll wait for video like I do most everything these days. Glad to see your review of it was positive, Maggers. Big Grin

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Maggers Wrote:I enjoyed CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR. It's a solidly OK movie. The performances of Tom Hanks and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are excellent and deserving of award nominations. But Julia Roberts was off; she can't hold on to a Southern accent to save her life, or a role. I found her a distraction. I didn't see her character, rather I just saw Julia Roberts trying to play a Southern woman.

The screenplay is terrific, intelligent, funny, and dense. It's the kind of script that sometimes requires a rewind to be sure you got everything that was said. There is a lot to follow. So, for that reason, you could wait until it comes to DVD.

According to the History channel show on Charlie Wilson that I'm watching at the moment, the movie is quite true to life. It's a fascinating story.

All in all, CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR is decidedly worth watching. But it's a movie that might best be viewed on the small screen so you can rewind when necessary.

I've heard good things about the flick, Maggers, but was the name "Ronald Reagan" mentioned in it?
Maggers   12-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Noelie Wrote:I really want to see this as I'm a HUGE Sorkin fan. But I'll wait for video like I do most everything these days. Glad to see your review of it was positive, Maggers. Big Grin

Noelie, I know you'll like CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR if you are a Sorkin fan because the script IS the movie. I will say there were some shots of warfare that I'd never seen before. Let me clarify that. Those scenes were shot from the point of view of the pilot or even the nosecone of the plane and from other different, interesting perspectives. Mike Nicols, the director, did a nice job.

CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR is fine on the big screen, but I think it will be one of those movies that will play better on the small screen.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

RichE   12-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Maggers Wrote:I thought she was a Southern gal, but she couldn't hold on to the Texas accent for an entire sentence. Just could not.
I always found her very overated-one of those faces you see on the screen and end up saying "Oh...Julia Roberts is in this..."