Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 6 7   
Wapitikev   03-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Legion Wrote:I can def see him as Abe, but if hes still breathing me may be too old.

Ed Asner is very alive! He's 79 years old and is still working (5 movies and a TV episode this year and one movie in 2009) and he would be an excellent choice...but will he be up to the action sequence that takes place at the (very) end of Rakoshi? I dunno. What about his future availability for sequels in the next decade?

Eli Wallach would also be an excellent choice but he has the same problem...action would be tough and he's 93 so sequels could be questionable.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Ken Valentine   03-20-2008, 02:25 AM
Wapitikev Wrote:Ed Asner is very alive! He's 79 years old and is still working (5 movies and a TV episode this year and one movie in 2009) and he would be an excellent choice...but will he be up to the action sequence that takes place at the (very) end of Rakoshi? I dunno. What about his future availability for sequels in the next decade?

Eli Wallach would also be an excellent choice but he has the same problem...action would be tough and he's 93 so sequels could be questionable.

-Wapitikev

Abe is around fifty years old, and you're right about sequels -- hopefully, there will be sequels.

Ken V.
Wapitikev   03-20-2008, 02:42 AM
ImDeranged Wrote:...how about John Goodman?
He can even play Jewish. Wink "I don't roll on shabbas"

Dude!

I GOT CHILLS!

-Wapitikev

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Sam   03-20-2008, 08:29 PM
ImDeranged Wrote:[Image: fallingdowndouglas.jpg] how about John Goodman? [Image: 4817.jpg]

He can even play Jewish. Wink "I don't roll on shabbas"

I'd thought about the very same thing. Maybe he could be Abe in Repair-Dude. No "Jack", just Dude. You know, that, or his dudeness, or duder, or el duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Wapitikev   03-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Sam Wrote:I'd thought about the very same thing. Maybe he could be Abe in Repair-Dude. No "Jack", just Dude. You know, that, or his dudeness, or duder, or el duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Heh!

Dudeness, yeh..."His Royal Dudeness" would have definite box-office appeal.

That way the Dudeness could fight the Otherness and, of course, win. Sequels?! We don't need no stinking sequels! The Dudeness rules all!

[The preceding was a paid announcement for Dazed and Confused II: 2 Dazed, 2 Confused!]

Please excuse my 70's moment...it was very late on Wednesday night...and it is now heavy-early (as Dr. Johnny Fever used to say) on Friday morning. If you start the petition to have "Dude" removed from the English Language, I'll sign it.

Seriously though, how much closer to an overwieght version of Michael Douglas from Falling Down can we possibly get? Outstanding work, Sam.

Must!...sleep!...now!...zzzzz...

-Wapitikev

Ken Valentine   03-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:If you start the petition to have "Dude" removed from the English Language, I'll sign it.

To me, "Dude" is still a legitimate name for a city dweller who goes to the country. Especially one who is ignorant of country ways.

Ken V.
metllicamilitia   03-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Sam Wrote:I agree with Wapitikev on Robin Williams. Take away his annoying persona and he's a damn good actor.

He has quite a few movies like that, but no one's ever heard of them because they aren't comedies. I saw one, it called The Night Listener, where he was nothing but serious the entire movie. What Dreams May Come and One Hour Photo are also like that. I'm just not sure he would make a great Abe. He just doesn't look like Abe, although he could pull it off.

"And the rain will kill us all, we throw ourselves against the wall, but no else can see, the preservation of the martyr in me" - [B]Corey Taylor
---------------------------------------------------
[/B]"I, am a worm before I am a man, I, was a creature before I could stand, I, will remember before I forget, before I forget this" - [B]Corey Taylor
---------------------------------------------------
[/B]"Dead visions in your name, dead fingers in my veins, dead memories in my heart" - Corey Taylor
mkmfpwfan   03-22-2008, 06:35 AM
metllicamilitia Wrote:He has quite a few movies like that, but no one's ever heard of them because they aren't comedies. I saw one, it called The Night Listener, where he was nothing but serious the entire movie. What Dreams May Come and One Hour Photo are also like that. I'm just not sure he would make a great Abe. He just doesn't look like Abe, although he could pull it off.

I also liked jumanji.----Mark
Wapitikev   03-22-2008, 05:00 PM
metllicamilitia Wrote:I'm just not sure he would make a great Abe. He just doesn't look like Abe, although he could pull it off.

I was thinking the same thing, until I asked myself if he looks like an overwieght 60 year old nanny.

He doesn't. But he sure pulled it off in Mrs. Doubtfire.

Take some of the accent from Jakob the Liar, his body-suit from Mrs. Doubtfire, his attitude towards Jack from Good Will Hunting (supportive but no BS), his attitude towards his customers from Dead Again, his facial-look from August Rush (only with white/grey hair) and dress him up in Michael Douglas' wardrobe from Falling Down [tips hat to Sam] and you have Abe down pat.

Although ImDeranged's suggestion of John Goodman is also excellent [tips hat to ImDeranged].

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev   03-22-2008, 05:33 PM
mkmfpwfan Wrote:I also liked jumanji.----Mark

Jumanji was good (I own it) but it was definitely more of a favourite of my wife's than of mine. I've liked many of Mr. William's performances, since then, far more.

Gratitiude to you for starting this thread!

Judd Hirsch would be a great Abe, probably my favourite choice of all...but as I said, at 83 years young, and with JackMovie-1 still 2/3 years away, I'm worried about his availability for JackMovie-2 and JackMovie-3 in 3-8 years. Maybe all Abe's appearances from the first 6 books can be filmed in-line over the next 3 years (like they did with Lord of the Rings) and then edited into place when the sequels are made...another lasting legacy for Mr. Hirsch, in the event that he ends his memorable career in the Interim.

-Wapitikev

Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 6 7