Noelie   07-28-2004, 02:18 AM
I first read about this movie being made 3 or 4 years ago. I thought it had stalled out, but I just saw my first trailer for it. The story was co-written by Caleb Carr, who I think is one of the most brilliant writers I've ever encountered. I can't wait!

Exorcist - The Beginning Website
Dave   07-28-2004, 05:01 AM
Noelie Wrote:I first read about this movie being made 3 or 4 years ago. I thought it had stalled out, but I just saw my first trailer for it. The story was co-written by Caleb Carr, who I think is one of the most brilliant writers I've ever encountered. I can't wait!

Exorcist - The Beginning Website

The history of the making of this film would make a film all its own.

The film was shot, in the can, and being edited, but the studio didn't like what the director had done, so they asked him to make changes, he walked. So they hired Renny Harlin who recast some characters and effectively reshot the entire film to the studios liking. This is the film you see the trailer for.

The first shot film is not dead though, word is that it will get a dvd release. What they'll call it is anyones guess.

You gotta love Hollywood.

Dave
nijimeijer   07-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Dave Wrote:The first shot film is not dead though, word is that it will get a dvd release. What they'll call it is anyones guess.

Dave

From what I understand, they're going to either package it with the new film on DVD, or sell them side by side. They intend to 'let the fans decide' which film is better.

What they actually mean is 'we'll let the fans pay more'. It's a good way to make your money back, though, this kind of marketing. Horror fans are usually horror collectors, so they can be assured they'll get decent sales out of the thing.

Throughout our history there are those ghosts
Compelled to illustrate our dreams and hopes
Victors hang in pictures, losers from ropes.
Regardless they all swing in the same boat.
remylass   07-28-2004, 11:35 AM
I guess the director that shot the film the first time was going for more of a "psychological" horror film. The studio said it wasn't scary, and they wanted more of the pea soup and gore. As I understand it, the second one is more of a typical horror movie.

We'll see. I plan on watching both of them eventually.
jimbow8   07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Dave Wrote:The history of the making of this film would make a film all its own.

The film was shot, in the can, and being edited, but the studio didn't like what the director had done, so they asked him to make changes, he walked. So they hired Renny Harlin who recast some characters and effectively reshot the entire film to the studios liking. This is the film you see the trailer for.

The first shot film is not dead though, word is that it will get a dvd release. What they'll call it is anyones guess.

Dave
Sounds similar to what happened with the 13th Warrior. John McTiernen originally shot the film, then Michael Crichton came in and reshot much of it and they never released the McTiernen versions. I REALLY want to see those extra scenes!

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Noelie   07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Well, color me uninformed, lol. I just stopped hearing about it, so I about jumped out of my chair when I saw the trailer last night. Big Grin
Kenji   07-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Any movies, first film is best. The Omen, Alien, Planet of the Apes, Jurrasic Park, The Matrix....etc. At first, when I heard about Exorcist-The Beginning, I was worry about it. But when I saw trailer, I changed my mind. Now I want to see this movie. Big Grin