Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
RichE   11-14-2007, 12:44 PM
For myself, I'm just sick and tired of remakes and sex/gore trash flooding the market. The vast work of countless authors untapped by the shlock meisters of Hollywood that are crying out to be filmed or at least televised. Well, here's my wish list and first pick so please add to it...

"MRS. AMSWORTH" E.F. Benson

First published in VISIBLE AND INVISIBLE, London,1920 is a great little vampire story about a small English village haunted by a vampire. I always pictured the great Elsa Lanchester in the title role. Track down a copy and read it-see if you can visualise the great lady in the title role.
Kenji   11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Since I read "Through Violet Eyes", I'm waiting for the movie version. The story by Woodworth is excellent thriller.

From Publishers Weekly:Shades of Minority Report and The Eyes of Laura Mars color Woodworth's chilling debut novel, which is set in an alternate present-day setting where a small percentage of people are born with violet irises and the ability to channel the dead. Naturally, the government has stepped in and regulated their lives, using them as tools in murder trials; an early scene in which a judge instructs the jury how to "weigh the testimony of the deceased" nicely sets the book's tone. When it becomes clear that a serial killer is targeting the Violets themselves, FBI agent Dan Atwater is paired with Natalie Lindstrom, a Violet, to investigate. Here Woodworth turns the conventional murder mystery on its ear: there are a fixed number of suspects from the beginning, but since the deceased can inhabit the bodies of Violets, none of the players ever exit the story, even when they are killed. Moments after dying, the victims take over Natalie's consciousness, bringing their tale of the Faceless Man who killed them and their suspicion that he may be working with someone on the other side. This twist makes for a tantalizing puzzle rife with red herrings, one made all the more entertaining by brisk pacing and strong internal logic.

See? It sounds good, isn't it? Smile
beowulf   11-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Any of the Mitch Rapp books by Vince Flynn.

"Fate has me highly skilled and loaded with talent."
bones weep tedium   11-15-2007, 09:45 AM
RichE Wrote:For myself, I'm just sick and tired of remakes and sex/gore trash flooding the market. The vast work of countless authors untapped by the shlock meisters of Hollywood that are crying out to be filmed or at least televised. Well, here's my wish list and first pick so please add to it...

First published in VISIBLE AND INVISIBLE, London,1920 is a great little vampire story about a small English village haunted by a vampire. I always pictured the great Elsa Lanchester in the title role. Track down a copy and read it-see if you can visualise the great lady in the title role.

Why are films based on books better than remakes?

They both exhibit a lack of originality and imagination. I'd prefer to see a new story. The Sin City film proved that to me; yeah, it was spot on accurate, but that made it boring! I'd already read the comic, what was the point in watching the movie? :confused:

I'd give anything to see a remake of Highlander, which was more faithful to Gregory Widen's original script, made more sense, didnt have as much neon lighting and didnt have such a naff soundtrack.

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Kenji   11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Neil Gaiman's The Sandman.

I think Daniel Day-Lewis is good for Sandman(dream). Big Grin
RichE   11-15-2007, 07:08 PM
One of the best examples of lack of brains in Hollywood for example is the way they handled, for the most part, the works of HP Lovecraft. They exploited the writers name to film gore/sex tripe (in my opinion now) like "DAGON", "THE REANIMATOR" and like minded where you have lots of nude women and gorey effects. When I reviewed the wonderful 2007 release of "CALL OF CTHULHU" (FILMS IN REVIEW) I was met with a lot of hostile e-mails because I simply (and I would like to think rightfully) pointed out the author would have spun in his grave to have his name attached to these films. Even if BASED on his work they just exploited the Lovecraft name to put on a gore show.

Now here is some great stuff I think would be great film material:
"THE SEA THING" by AE VAN VOGT.
Track down a copy of MONSTERS-edited by Forrest J Ackerman for a great short story ride that is not unlike "THE THING". A legendary shark-god takes human form to kill off a group of shark hunters on a small island. I think it would make a hoot of a movie!
"PANZER SPIRIT" by Tom Townsend
"Lord Of The Rings" meets The Third Reich about an evil saturated SS jagdpanther created from mirtheil-the metal of the dwarves from Tolkein's classic novels. Mirged with the spirit of its commander and Nazi conquest,
the tank comes alive today, invincible, to attack Russia while bands of US and KGB are on its trail. Very well written and would make a great film in my opinion!
RichE   11-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Here are some more....
"THE WEST END HORROR" Nicholas Meyer
Holmes and Watson are helped by George Bernard Shaw in a case in the world of London Theatre. Also along for the ride: Ellen Terry, Sir Henry Irving,
Bram Stoker, Oscar Wilde and Gilbert and Sullivan.

Jules de Grandin stories by Seabury Quinn. The most popular writer of Weird Tales Magazine had written some great horror-most set in the little town of Harrisonville,NJ.

Some great novels by William W. Johnstone:
Mountain Man series
Smoke Jensen series
"DARKLY THE THUNDER"
"CARNIVAL"
"DEVILS LAUGHTER"
"ROCKABILLY HELL/ROCKABILLY LIMBO"
"SWEET DREAMS"
"CATS EYE/CATS CRADLE"
"ROCKINGHORSE"

"RETREAT HELL!" W.E.B. Griffin (great novel about Korea War)

"MEG"/"THE TRENCH" Steve Alten

"TO BUILD A FIRE" Jack London (short story)

"ALONE IN SHARK WATERS" John Kruse (short story)
RichE   11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Another excellent novel is "RED PHEONIX" by Larry Bond.
The story deals with a future war with North Korea, done in the spirit of Tom Clancy's "TEAM YANKEE". Very well written!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-18-2007, 10:12 PM
RichE Wrote:For myself, I'm just sick and tired of remakes and sex/gore trash flooding the market. The vast work of countless authors untapped by the shlock meisters of Hollywood that are crying out to be filmed or at least televised. Well, here's my wish list and first pick so please add to it...

WE ALL DIED AT BREAKAWAY STATION--Richard C. Meredith

As good as STARSHIP TROOPERS, as an interstellar war novel.

DUNE--Frank Herbert

Ah, wait here...Rolleyes
RichE   11-18-2007, 10:34 PM
"THE FORBIDDEN TERRITORY" by Dennis Wheatley
The first in the great writer's various novels as well as being the first in the
Duke de Richleau series ("The Devil Rides Out" is a direct sequel) about a great chase story set in Soviet Russia. Fast and keep you on your toes!

"SEA SIEGE" by Andre Norton
A post nuclear holocaust story about a small island of military/non military who not only must face war with still active communist forces but also mutated sea creatures, monsters and giant intelligent octopods. I'm really shocked no one thought of filmming this!

"THE FLIGHT OF THE UMBRELLA" by Marvin Kaye
The crazy adventures of English Major J. Adrian Fillmore who jumps from one reality to another-all based upon works of fiction! The poor slob meets face to faces from Gilbert and Sullivan, Charles Dickens, Count Dracula to the henchman of Professor Moriarty as he seeks Sherlock Holmes himself to figure out this mess! Wonderful well written novel (published in Fantastic Stories).
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4