Pages (2):    1 2
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:MSN Movies had a list of their top 10 all-time worst movie accents. Their list included:
  • Dick Van Dyke - Mary Poppins
  • Brad Pitt - The Devil's Own

• Angelina Jolie - Alexander
  • Gary Oldman - State of Grace
  • Uma Thurman - Henry & June

• Tim Robbins - Mystic River
  • Wynona Ryder - Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula
  • Forest Whitaker - The Crying Game
  • Liam Neeson - Schindler's List
  • Special Mentions: Kevin Costner - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, JFK, A Perfect World, Thirteen Days
While I can agree on Kevin Costner's absence of any signs of effort at trying to sound even like an American doing an impression of an English accent in Robin Hood, most of these mentions I've either never seen or didn't question.

MY list of the top ten worst movie accents, however, goes something like this. In order:
10 - Val Kilmer - The Ghost and the Darkness. He's Irish...then he's American...then he's Irish...then he's American. But he was great otherwise.
9 - Dennis Quaid - Frequency. I like the movie, but yikes...that's supposed to be New York?
8 - Jim Caviezel - Frequency. Even worse.
7 - Kate Hudson - The Four Feathers. "Ew look, Oi'm Aynglish!"
6 - Mira Furlan - LOST. Okay, so it's not a movie, but it's too remarkable NOT to list - I almost always forget she's supposed to be French, to the point that I might think, "Ep, careful Danielle--you almost sounded French there!"
5 - Matt Damon - The Departed. He's FROM Boston - he has NO excuse for sounding almost as bad as the other stars.
4 - Kevin Costner - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Yeah, it was pretty damn bad, after all.
3 - Brad Pitt - Troy. Don't get me started.
2 - Okay: ANY portrayal of ancient Greece or Rome. They ALL sound English! Why?!?
1 - Daniel Day Lewis - Gangs of New York. It's beyond even being funny - it's as bad as they come.

Special Mentions: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, Alec Baldwin, and Martin Sheen - The Departed. Their accents all sound SO forced, it's really quite embarrassing. Does Scorsese just have a passion for making things "his way," no matter how erratically off-center they may be? Thank the gods for Mark Wahlberg - he let out the true voice of Boston.

So what do the rest of you think of as the top 10 worst movie accents of all time?

I thought the Klingon accents, first scene of STAR TREK: THE MOVIE, were bogus.
Kenji   11-05-2007, 05:16 AM
I never care about accents. Except for Jason Statham in "War".

He talked Japanese to Japanese Yakuza, but I couldn't understand what he said. Nevertheless, Yakuza understood his Japanese. Rolleyes
the Oracle   11-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Speaking of:

1. Bad Accents in movies;
2. Dennis Quaid;
3. New Orleans.

What about the Big Easy? I totally dig the flick, but the accents are unforgivably horrid!

(:

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
iacon50   11-05-2007, 10:15 PM
what about John Malcovich in ANYTHING. seriously that dude doesn't even try.
Barry Lee Dejasu   11-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Oxenberger Wrote:The absolute worst and most annoying award goes to:

Adam Sandler in Little Nicky.

Annoying, say what you will - I personally liked it. But "worst"? What is Nicky supposed to sound like? He's not supposed to be from Kentucky, he's not supposed to be Japanese, nor Welsh, nor South African - he's just NICKY, a guy from hell with a black brother who sounds like he's from California and another one who sounds like a true Brit, with a father that sounds an awful lot like Harvey Keitel! His accent can't be called bad for any reason other than being subjectively annoying - it's as accurate as it's supposed to be (i.e. it's not "supposed" to be anything).

Now that I've made my gigantic defense for a movie I haven't seen for a good few years, I think I should go get some coffee...

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Weatherford   11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
The female lead in The English Patient!!!!! (Julia Ormond?)

It drove me totally bonkers - which might be just as well, as otherwise I would have fallen asleep :o . (Hated the movie....)
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Weatherford Wrote:The female lead in The English Patient!!!!! (Julia Ormond?)

It drove me totally bonkers - which might be just as well, as otherwise I would have fallen asleep :o . (Hated the movie....)

Weatherford, lemme ask yez--are there, in British movies, bogus =American= accents? (Though I must confide, that might be hard to tell--the Good Old USA stretches from sea-to-shining-sea. We got any talk you need! From the pinched, nasal New England accents, to the broad vowels of the Southland, to the clipped talk of the Southwest, to the...well, yew get the ah-deer. More than once, I've set me toenails ablaze in wonder that us Noo Yawkers are the only ones who speak like it should be spoke. Amuricans, that is. Those in faraway, unhappy lands can speak lak dey lak.Wink )
This post was last modified: 11-12-2007, 03:02 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Lisa   11-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Maggers Wrote:I'm always curious about New Orleans accents because I can't peg them. For instance, to my ear Emeril sounds like he's from Brooklyn.

Emeril is from Fall River, Mass. He has a mutated Boston accent (too much living in NY and Louisiana warped it).
fpw   11-12-2007, 09:13 PM
[SIZE="3"]It's already been mentioned, but I don't think it gets much worse than Dick Van Dyck in "Mary Poppins."[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Noelie   11-12-2007, 09:52 PM
the Oracle Wrote:Speaking of:

1. Bad Accents in movies;
2. Dennis Quaid;
3. New Orleans.

What about the Big Easy? I totally dig the flick, but the accents are unforgivably horrid!

(:

Oh, yes. That one was horrible. I tried to banish it from my memory. Wink

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Pages (2):    1 2