GeraldRice   10-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Let me say from the start, this movie is a feast of gory sounds. Every wound squishes, every broken bone crunches, etc.

This movie begins with Jigsaw's autopsy. Warning: this is VERY graphic. I don't know how realistic, but it looked like a real corpse when they cut the skull open and removed the brain, when they made the Y incision and cut through the sternum bone and when they sliced out the stomach. At first it seems as if this is gratuitous but the point of the autopsy comes clear when it is revealed that just before his death Jigsaw swallowed a tape he'd encased in wax (see the end of Saw III). The story begins from there as Lieutenant Rigg (the SWAT officer from Saw II and III) is lured into Jigsaw's web. We get to see how Jigsaw thinks of his players as he forces Rigg to do things he wouldn't otherwise have done. I know, Jigsaw is dead- how is he getting anyone to do anything? You'll learn that pretty early on.

At first it seems like they're going to go overboard with the "games". Like in 80s slasher films that have a person getting hatcheted every 10 minutes or so. But the actual story advances, revealing more of John Cramer's history and how he came to be the Jigsaw killer. Cramer is shown as a proponent of personal redemption through pain (his initials are J.C.- get it?) after tragedy struck him personally (before he found out about his cancer). But there is actual "purpose" to each of these games that advance the story line. We're also introduced to two FBI agents who are working to figure out who's been helping Jigsaw and by the end it wraps up in a way that leaves room for another sequel but resolves its own story line.

It isn't Shakespearian acting or writing, but if you've been a fan of any of the previous Saw movies you should like it.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
beowulf   10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
I just saw it last night. I enjoyed but I hadn't seen II or III, so I was a little behind. Though did read pretty in depth synopsizes of both movies before hand. I assume that, chronologically, the autopsy actually happened last. I also read that III & IV were supposed to be happening at the same time. This movie leaves the audiences a LOT of questions, clearly setting us up for Saw VI.

"Fate has me highly skilled and loaded with talent."
GeraldRice   11-02-2007, 06:44 AM
I read there will be a Saw V and VI, the next due out in 2009. I wonder why they can't do next year.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
saynomore   11-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I really enjoyed this movie. There was more story here than the other 3 movies and the Jigsaw universe is expanding. And with the flashback motive used so cleverly, I can imagine the sequels being enjoyable as well.

AC

P.S. I heard that Saw V would be out by Halloween 2008, and that a new Saw would continue to be a Halloween release tradition until the franchise begins to show financial wear (I mean, the movies are still pulling 30 million dollar openings). I can't imagine their waiting two years to make the next Saw. The movies are cheap and quick to make, which gives them a wide profit margin. And I can't wait two years till the next one!!!!
Barry Lee Dejasu   11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:I read there will be a Saw V and VI, the next due out in 2009. I wonder why they can't do next year.

Probably want to avoid having the plot(s) tarnished by the strike, which would be a wise decision, as the intricate plots of these movies are the best things about them (they're the main reason *I* like them!).

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-07-2007, 06:09 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:I read there will be a Saw V and VI, the next due out in 2009. I wonder why they can't do next year.

The cast has to heal up!Wink
Kenji   11-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Today was the opening day, so I saw Saw IV.

[SIZE="3"]***Spoiler***[/SIZE]

Jigsaw's autopsy scene was too realistic. Jigsaw's body at the morgue....oh, he is dead! At first I thought Jigsaw's woke up and kill coroners. But he was not like Jason or Freddy Kruger. Gee, he was a human. Big Grin

Torture scenes were gory and horrific. I covered my mouth by hand...

I'll see Saw V and VI and VII.....maybe X, too...? Nah! :p
This post was last modified: 11-17-2007, 05:22 AM by Kenji.
Barry Lee Dejasu   11-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Kenji Wrote:Jigsaw's autopsy scene was too realistic. Jigsaw's body at the morgue....oh, he is dead! At first I thought Jigsaw's woke up and kill coroners. But he was not like Jason or Freddy Kruger. Gee, he was a human. Big Grin
I'll see Saw V and VI and VII.....maybe X, too...? Nah! :p

I sure liked it. At first I was a little disappointed with...I can't even say this with a spoiler warning. Well, when you learn more about one of the characters (those who saw--er, WATCHED--the movie know who I mean), I was a little disappointed, but ultimately there are too many loose ends that they left tantalizingly floating that absolutely made up for it. I truly am pumped for SAW V and VI (Tobin Bell is only signed on for that many more movies...and I wouldn't want them to stretch the post-Jigsaw plots TOO far!).

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]