Mike Hanson   08-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Yes, I just checked it out. What can I say? It's a slow week at the movies...

And the non-spoiler wrap-up? It wasn't terrible.

Admitted highlights are the always lovely Michelle Pfeiffer's
witch, Lamia, hellbent on regaining immortality, and Robert
De Niro's sky pirate, Captain Shakespeare, who strays so far
from center with this eccentric performance that you'll be
as delighted as you are horrified.

Ultimately, the movie is hit or miss with the humor, and
just leaps around too much to ever have a strong coherent
storyline.

On my blog I give it THREE out of five cans of Diet Cherry
Vanilla Dr. Pepper.

Mike Out Smile
Kenji   08-11-2007, 12:46 AM
At present, I'm waiting for Stardust and Pan's Labyrinth, and I have to wait them until fall...

I envy you, Mike! Smile
saynomore   08-16-2007, 11:59 PM
The story couldn't decide if it wanted to be The Princess Bride or Pirates of the Carribean. I think the "humor" was unnecessary and distracted (as did the Captain Shakespeare character--imagine the movie with real cutthroat pirates and you get my drift). Tristan's transformation over a six day period reminded me of South Park's "Montage" song.

But I recommend it, on a double feature of course. I watched Underdog after Stardust, so Stardust looked pretty good next to the live-action super dog. Without Wally Cox's voice, this Underdog was not worth rooting for.

AC
Kenji   10-27-2007, 05:32 AM
This morning, tyhoon's coming to Tokyo. BUT I DON'T CARE! Because today is the opening day of STARDUST. So even if hard rain or tyhoon or spears rain's falling, I would go to a theatre. Big Grin

Recently I was seeing many dark mood films only(Perfect Stranger, The Good Shepherd, The Invasion...), so I enjoyed STARDUST from the bottom of my heart.

Harry Knoweles said "The story is literally like watching a live-action Miyazaki film". I agree with him. Star, Witches, Pirates, dying King and his cunning sons and ghosts.....absolutely this is like Miyazaki film. However, STARDUST have un-ordinary sense of humor but Miyazaki films haven't it. I prefer Neil Gaiman.

Before I see this movie, I read the book. But I enjoyed both, because of good adaptation by Neil Gaiman.

Actors and actresses showed good acting. Especially, De Niro's performance of Can-Can dance.... I couldn't stop laughing! Big Grin
This post was last modified: 10-27-2007, 05:43 AM by Kenji.