Pages (2):    1 2
Noelie   10-16-2007, 12:02 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"] It’s do it this way, or make you sit and wait four years for a 2000-page novel.[/SIZE]

I'll take it in 400-500 page increments, thanks. Wink

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Keith the Elder   10-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Noelie Wrote:I'll take it in 400-500 page increments, thanks. Wink

Yeah, it would probably take a whole week to read a 2000 page novel by FPW!

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
Scott Miller   10-16-2007, 02:08 PM
First off let me say that a B+ isn't a bad grade, but of course I'd have given it an A. Second I'd also say that the ending didn't feel contrived to me in the slightest, but I can see where someone might feel that way. Finally I commend you for once again blurring the lines of what books can be. I think that you've done a masterful job of creating a series where each book stands independently but adds to the collective. Even with Bloodline, which in my opinion is the first book throughout the series that didn't quite feel complete at the end, anyone could pick any of the RJ books, read it, be satisfied with the story and not be in a fog as to what is going on.

Hell I'd read your stuff if it were published chapter by chapter and in the end we're all going to end up with a monster of a novel-something close to a 30,000 pages.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
law dawg   10-16-2007, 05:52 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Highly quotable mini-review in the current Entertainment Weekly. Here’s the whole thing:

“Private eye Jack - just Jack - is hired by a distraught mother to to investigate the skeevy older guy dating her daughter. See, the first PI she hired has disappeared. But when Jack finds his predecessor tortured and drowned in a bathtub, he embarks on a harrowing journey involving murder, an anarchist movement, genetic engineering and a suspicious mental institution. In his 11th Repairman Jack thriller, Wilson offers a canny mix of sci-fi paranoia and criminal mayhem. Despite a contrived end that baldly strains for a sequel, Bloodline starts fast, keeps the accelerator down, and defies you to stop reading. B+ - Bob Cannon”

About that “contrived end that baldly strains for a sequel”…he’s not the first to mention it. And he has a point. Maybe you felt that way too. Here’s my problem: I’m into the end game of the series. I’m putting the pieces and the players into place. I’ve got long arcs (4 books or so) that have to flow through in order to pay off at the end. The only “straining” I’m doing is trying to tie up each book into a stand-alone. But try as I might, it’s not happening. The arcs are too big and too important to abridge. So you’re going to have to bear with me here. I don’t like it, but the story demands it. In the end, I think/hope you’ll agree it was worth the frustration. But trust me, I’m not teasing for teasing sake. It’s do it this way, or make you sit and wait four years for a 2000-page novel.[/SIZE]
Ah, you beat me to it. I just read it in EW.

But hey, out of the fourteen total books reviewed, only four books received a higher rating than yours (with a few ties as well....).

WELL DONE!

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
GWB   10-16-2007, 07:35 PM
webby Wrote:I can't help but draw a comparison to Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I read Book 1 of that series when my daughter was just a toddler. She was practically graduated from high school by the time the final book was released - and that series is only 6 books long.
7 books

Quote:I invested 15 years in waiting for the end of that long story arc - and don't even get me started on how it ended after all that time! Talk about frustration! Gaaahh!

The worst part was that Book 3 (The Wastelands) ended with a HUGE cliffhanger and it was six years before Book 4 was published! SIX YEARS!!! Gaaaahhhh!
Yes - I agree.
webby   10-16-2007, 11:53 PM
webby Wrote:I can't help but draw a comparison to Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I read Book 1 of that series when my daughter was just a toddler. She was practically graduated from high school by the time the final book was released - and that series is only 6 books long. I invested 15 years in waiting for the end of that long story arc - and don't even get me started on how it ended after all that time! Talk about frustration! Gaaahh!

The worst part was that Book 3 (The Wastelands) ended with a HUGE cliffhanger and it was six years before Book 4 was published! SIX YEARS!!! Gaaaahhhh!

GWB Wrote:7 books

Oops - you are correct, WGB! I must have already been getting worked up for my rant about the 6 years between book 3 and book 4. Wink

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
beowulf   10-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Reviews are like a$$holes....everyone has one and most are full of $hit

"Fate has me highly skilled and loaded with talent."
Paul R   10-17-2007, 05:21 AM
beowulf Wrote:Reviews are like a$$holes....everyone has one and most are full of $hit

Ha! Nice one!Big Grin

"I handed in the new RJ novel with the
working title, BY THE SWORD. David says the sales force loved the title at the
pre Turkey-Day sales meeting, so that's what it will be. That means Paul Ramplin
gets a credit line in the acknowledgments.
"
Ken Valentine   10-17-2007, 05:45 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]About that “contrived end that baldly strains for a sequel”…he’s not the first to mention it. And he has a point. [/SIZE]

Rather than "straining for a sequel," I see it as an introductory teaser for the next novel. I don't have a problem with it . . . none at all.

As to his point: let him put a hat on it and go home. Big Grin

Ken V.
Pages (2):    1 2