KRW   09-17-2007, 02:13 AM
I've little to say about this movie. If you go to see it, go for Christian Bales' performance. He's really a very good actor. If you've read any westerns, Bales' character is like a "Louis L'Amour" good guy, and Russell Crows' was a "Max Brand" bad guy. I've read a lot of westerns with the same plot, but it's still amazing how Hollywood can fuck up something so simple. I give it four cow patties. (That's not a good thing)
Auskar   09-17-2007, 03:37 AM
I saw the original. Since I've heard nothing all that great or that different about the remake, I'll wait to watch it at home.

I mean.... in an age when almost no westerns are being made, why does a studio remake an old western instead of creating a new one?
Annice Burdeos   09-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Saw the remake ages ago and found it to be ,well disappointing
Crowe was fine as was Bale but it felt padded to me with so much background layered onto the two men's stories and the bizarre so to speak ending that I really appreciated having seen Ford and Helfin.

Theirs was simple and straight forward story telling but you could easily see Ford in Helfin's shoes and vice versa.

Sometimes, its better to leave some things alone.

While Ford and Helfin's isn't a great Western, it fared better with me and my brother than this newer re imagining of Mangold's. (I did like his Walk the Line)
NewYorkjoe   10-01-2007, 06:25 PM
About the only thing that I enjoyed about this movie was the gun handling and shooting. At least it was realistic.

I bet there will now be a run on Schofields for Cowboy Action Shooting after this. I was planning on looking into them, since my Ma's family is related to Jesse James through his brother Frank.

About the only Western film I liked less than this one was "Missouri Breaks" with Marlon Brando as a regulator/assassin in a gingham dress! :confused:

Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late; And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods,"
"Well, John Henry said to the Cap'n, "A man ain't nuthin' but a man. But, before I let that steam drill beat me, gonna die with my hammer in my hand, Lawd, Lawd, gonna die with my hammer in my hand."
Kenji   09-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Today I saw this in a theater. Too late? Yeah, I think so too. :dontknow:

Anyway I enjoyed this westerns movie. Christian Bale's acting was excellent. Russell Crowe was.....well, Russell Crowe.

I know this is a remake. But I've never seen the original. Maybe someday I'll see it.
Pacal   09-30-2009, 12:03 PM
I definitely enjoyed the remake. At least they're still making westerns. You could really feel the need for Bale's character to make a stand and not back down, being the father figure and husband. In these economic times I can kind of relate.
Appaloosa with Viggo Mortensen and Ed ?? felt much more like a L'Amour story. I loved the showdown and following dialogue.
Irishkkc 2.0   09-30-2009, 08:52 PM
I loved this movie. i guess I'm just an idiot. I haven't seen the original or read the Elmore Leonard short story that its based on.