Mike Hanson   09-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow. Talk about a fantastic documentary!

Who is the reigning champ for HIGHEST score on the classic
arcade game Donkey Kong? Not really interested? Well, neither
was I until I drove into Greenich Village yesterday and checked
out this delightful, humorous, and dramatic "David vs. Goliath"
documentary directed by Seth Gordon.

There is a short write-up on my blog.

Suffice it to say I give this fun doc a high score of
FIVE out of five cans of diet cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper.

Mike out Big Grin
webby   09-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I read something about this documentary and the story behind it on the web last week (I think).

The one thing that really stood out for me was how the challenger's kids were begging him to please, stop playing that game when he was practicing to take on the champ.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bones weep tedium   09-11-2007, 05:07 AM
I recently saw a review of this documentary on Gamer TV, and I am really looking forward to getting to see it! I'm not sure when it's out in the UK, but I'm sure the art-house cinema near me will get it in.

It looked like those geeks play pretty rough!

By The Way. . .

. . . can anyone tell me what's the difference between a geek and a nerd? I thought they were synonymous until fairly recently?

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Silverfish   09-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Geeks are proud to call themselves geeks. Bill Gates is a geek. Geek as advertising works.

Nerds wouldn't be caught dead calling themselves nerds. Think pocket protectors and taped glasses. They are book smart, but lack basic social skills. Nerd as advertising turns people off.

Hope this helps.

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
bones weep tedium   09-11-2007, 12:45 PM
From the looks of things, I'd say this film has a fairly even mix of Geeks and Nerds. Big Grin

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
Sigokat   09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Here is an example of nerds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Mike Hanson   10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm 2/3's of the way through tonight's episode of
South Park and it is a very unsavory and hilarious
parody of "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters!"

Man. Matt and Trey really do move quickly on an
episode from conception to production.

The weird thing is that since most fans of south
park have not yet seen "King of Kong" they
are going to totally miss the goofy connection.
bones weep tedium   10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Mike Hanson Wrote:Man. Matt and Trey really do move quickly on an
episode from conception to production.

I remembering reading that since they started using Maya to animate the episodes, the turnaround of an episode from script to broadcast can be as little as 3 days, making it possible to feature current events and hot topics in their programme.

I have yet to see King of Kong, but no matter- by the time I eventually get to see the latest South Park episodes it'll probably be old news. Rolleyes

I hate coppers.