Pages (3):    1 2 3   
bones weep tedium   07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Auskar Wrote:I keep hearing that Neil Gailman is wonderful, but no one ever mentions anyting that is wonderful. I looked him up it turns out that the only Gaiman work I am personally familiar with issue #9 of Spawn.

Was it any good?

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Auskar   07-31-2007, 02:13 AM
bones weep tedium Wrote:Was it any good?
Basically, the ninth issue introduced a midieval character that became Spawn's mentor and a continuing character throughout the series (along with Midieval Spawn and a couple of other characters). Gaiman evidently intended these to be "one-shot" characters, but Todd McFarlane continued the characters saying his work on #9 was "work for hire." (That's one reason I turned down a job once that was "work for hire". I wanted to own subsequent publishing rights to my articles).

Anyway, Gaiman and McFarlane had had a dispute. Gaiman sued McFarlane and now they share ownership of those characters 50-50.

I just remember really liking the midieval guy that was still alive and would sit down on the rooftops with Spawn and talk about how screwed up they were and that it wasn't entirely hopeless.
Paige   07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:His Sandman comic is right behind The Adversary Cycle on my list of all-time favorites. I've liked all his novels in this order Anansi Boys, Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods and Coraline. His two kids books, The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish and The Wolves in the Walls are winners. His two short story collections, Smoke and Mirrors and Fragile Things contain some absolutely fantastic stories. In addition to Sandman, most of his work in the graphic format is wonderful. I also liked the BBC version of Neverwhere and I loved the film Mirrormask that he wrote. He also did the english speaking version of Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke. Plus he seems like an amiable bloke.

I will go out on a limb and say that if enjoy fantasy at all, then you will definitely like Gaiman. His sense of imagination is unparalled in my experience.

I'm going to back up everything Scott said and add Lucifer to the list of one the best comic book ever written.

The story with Sandman is that it was the only comic ever written to have won the Nebula award. After it won, they changed the rules so that no other comic may enter. Definitely worth a look.

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Scott Miller   08-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Paige Wrote:I'm going to back up everything Scott said and add Lucifer to the list of one the best comic book ever written.

I keep telling everyone you can't go wrong agreeeing with me. Big Grin I do feel compelled to say that Lucifer, the characvter was created by Gaiman, but the comic is written by Mike Carey.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
phoenix rising   10-26-2007, 10:22 PM
AMC is doing a special on the movie including interviews. I saw a clip of an interview with Jolie. May want to check it out!
Kenji   10-27-2007, 05:38 AM
phoenix rising Wrote:AMC is doing a special on the movie including interviews. I saw a clip of an interview with Jolie. May want to check it out!

What is AMC?
Barry Lee Dejasu   10-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Kenji Wrote:What is AMC?

American Movie Channel...one of the biggest sell-outs in the history of the term. They used to play lots of obscure, older movies, and now they're full of commercials, censorship, and mostly only recent stuff. In short, they went from Turner Classic Movies' rival to just another commercial channel.

But as for my thoughts on BEOWULF: I'm looking forward to it. The trailer was thrown together by the usual kinds of people who don't really get into the movie itself, but rather just want to put the most appealing scenes of it in there to capture as many audience members as possible. It looks like it'll be a faithful adaptation...although the "I AM FEAR...I! AM! BEOWULF!" bit is a bit too Troy/300/Alexander for my liking...we shall see.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Kenji   10-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:American Movie Channel...one of the biggest sell-outs in the history of the term. They used to play lots of obscure, older movies, and now they're full of commercials, censorship, and mostly only recent stuff. In short, they went from Turner Classic Movies' rival to just another commercial channel.

But as for my thoughts on BEOWULF: I'm looking forward to it. The trailer was thrown together by the usual kinds of people who don't really get into the movie itself, but rather just want to put the most appealing scenes of it in there to capture as many audience members as possible. It looks like it'll be a faithful adaptation...although the "I AM FEAR...I! AM! BEOWULF!" bit is a bit too Troy/300/Alexander for my liking...we shall see.

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to it,too.
phoenix rising   10-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Funny thing AMC used to be American movie Classics, and showed all manner of black and white films....not sure when that fateful change took place, but if you watch late atnight you can sometimes still catch a good classic or two.
RichE   10-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I love "AMERICAN GODS" by Gaiman.
Pages (3):    1 2 3